Xbox Live Coming to Windows-Based Phones

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox Live Coming to Windows-Based Phones

Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] has announced that its new Windows Phone 7 series of smartphones will feature tight integration with Xbox Live, with support for Gamerscore, Achievements and online gaming with the Xbox 360.

In a keynote address at the Xbox Live [http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/] to its upcoming Windows Phone 7 series of smartphones. The new phones will use "hubs" to organize programs and content; the Games hub will give users access to Xbox Live data including Gamerscore, avatars and recent Achievements. More important, however, will be the games themselves: Belfiore didn't offer much in the way of specifics but said that the phones would support Xbox Live games and online multiplayer action with not just other phones, but also the PC and Xbox 360.

Mobile gaming is a big and growing business, and what better way for Microsoft to carve off a piece for itself than to successfully turn the new Windows-based phones into a legitimate games platform that takes advantage of the huge preexisting Xbox Live audience? Some big changes could be afoot in the kingdom of the handheld if the company can pull it off. We'll find out soon enough: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said the first Windows Phone 7 devices would be on the market in time for the 2010 holiday season.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I can play half assed games? This isn't much better than just logging onto Xbox.com from my phone.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
The whole competing against Xbox and PC users part sounds interesting.

Still doesn't make it worth getting though I wouldn't think. This seems like a 'nerdy' choice whereas ipod screams cool.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Microsoft are ripping of Mac by making a touch-screen phone hu... You'd think that they would try something more original than to do what every phone-company has done and copy the iPhone in an attempt to ride on its success.

Oh well, I need to focus on the topic!

They released a mobilephone that was supposed to focus almost only on games. It failed hard. Why can't Microsoft try and do their own original handheld and get into that business instead of going for a rather worthless market?

Oh right, because then they would rip off the PSP.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
hey, it worked for the zune...
wait, why are you all staring at me? what did i do this time?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Microsoft hasn't even been able to get Games For Windows working with PCs, I can think of only like two games that shared achievements with my 360 account (Dawn Of War II, and Fallout 3). I think they need to get that working on a larger scale, before worrying about bringing Cell Phones into the equasion too.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Wait, what? How are they going to get Xbox and PC-grade games to run on Smartphones?

Are they going to use an ugly version of the engine or what? Also, the people on the smartphones will get utterly destroyed by everyone else, as, let's be honest, controlling it via touch will get you murdered against a guy with a controller/mouse and keyboard.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Sounds interesting. On the other hand, I just want a damn cross-platform party system for the PC and 360!

And I don't need a smart phone, and I don't game on the go, so this is somewhat lost on me.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Will be interesting if they pull it off however I doubt Microsoft very much at the moment so bahumbug to them.

D.L.390

Jan 16, 2010
MrPop said:
The whole competing against Xbox and PC users part sounds interesting.

Still doesn't make it worth getting though I wouldn't think. This seems like a 'nerdy' choice whereas ipod screams cool.
iPod doesn't scream cool, it screams conformist into a five million watt public address system.

Sorry to the people who have iPhones and iPods (I have an iPod classic, and yes I am calling myself conformist too).

If I have the money when it's released, I want one of these phones. It seems to be something really good to kind of fill the MASSIVE compatibility gap between digital media/PC and the 360.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Therumancer said:
Microsoft hasn't even been able to get Games For Windows working with PCs, I can think of only like two games that shared achievements with my 360 account (Dawn Of War II, and Fallout 3). I think they need to get that working on a larger scale, before worrying about bringing Cell Phones into the equasion too.
To be fair, there are about twenty or thirty that share achievements. I'd actually like it if they got more on board; a universal achievements system would be quite a thing. If I ever bothered to get a smartphone, this does put a tick in the box for Microsoft.... but that's not likely to happen anyway.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Hubilub said:
Microsoft are ripping of Mac by making a touch-screen phone hu... You'd think that they would try something more original than to do what every phone-company has done and copy the iPhone in an attempt to ride on its success.
Wow, yeah. Obviously there were NEVER any touchscreen phones before the iPhone. EVER.

Touchscreens are simply the new phone input. Saying Microsoft is ripping off Apple is like saying that Avatar ripped off My Bloody Valentine (3d movie). You simply are wrong and appear uninformed.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Shy_Guy said:
Hubilub said:
Wow, yeah. Obviously there were NEVER any touchscreen phones before the iPhone. EVER.

Touchscreens are simply the new phone input. Saying Microsoft is ripping off Apple is like saying that Avatar ripped off My Bloody Valentine (3d movie). You simply are wrong and appear uninformed.
Especially when one considers that at least 5 years before the iPhone there were combination PDAs and Cell-phones. the iPhone didn't invent anything, only made it "better".

David3737

Feb 16, 2010
Hey guys!you know Microsoft has never competed in the mobile industry before ,and I for one am stoked that they
are finally stepping up to the plate!they,we can't let apple rule the phone kingdom ,check out the
all the latest about the Windows Phone 7 Series,this article highlighted Microsoft's strategy,
to kick some apple ass.and maybe set a bench mark or two!
http://ketiva.com/Computers_and_Internet/windows_phone_7_series.html [http://ketiva.com/Computers_and_Internet/windows_phone_7_series.html]

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
I personally want one of these phones, as my current one is a Razr, and I'm getting tired of it.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Big fan of my Zune HD and may just dump it for this phone. I have been very interesting since my friends first told me about it.