Atkinson: Gamers Are More Threatening Than Bikers

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Atkinson: Gamers Are More Threatening Than Bikers

Everyone's favorite Australian politician, Michael Atkinson, said in an interview that gamers are more dangerous than outlaw biker gangs, who also hate him.

Michael Atkinson is the Attorney General of South Australia and he opposes Australia allowing a Mature rating for games. Such a measure would need to be unanimous amongst the atttorneys general of the country according to law and his vote is effectively banning any game that is deemed to be intended for an audience over 18 years of age. The result is a very contentious argument between Atkinson and Australian gamers. In an interview with an Australian ABC affiliate program called Good Game, he sounds off again, comparing gamers to biker gangs. Believe it or not, amongst those two disparate groups, Atkinson thinks that gamers are the more badass.

Atkinson started off with the age-old comparison between movies and games. "With interactive games, people are actually doing things," Atkinson said. "One can go to the cinema and see someone beheaded, and one sees it as a passive viewer. I think it can do harm, but we permit it within certain restrictions.

"In interactive games, the person playing is doing the action, therefore I think it has a higher impact and impact is always been a consideration in censorship or classification, call it what you will," he said.

Then Atkinson recounted a harrowing story of spam at 2am:

You've seen the kind of material that R18+ gamers are circulating. I don't know who sends me this filthy material, but I get my electoral office email spammed. About two o' clock in the morning, I got a threatening note from a gamer shoved under my door. I feel that my family and I are more at risk from gamers than we are from the outlaw motorcycle gangs who also hate me.

The outlaw motorcycle gangs haven't been hanging around my doorstep at 2AM. A gamer has.

While I in no way advocate violence against the man, I do feel that he is overreacting. Clearly people are passionate about this subject, and they feel that their rights are being taken away by the conservative opinions of one man. There is a word for a person who exerts his will upon the unwilling masses: a tyrant.

Other tyrants have been deposed, and Atkinson is complaining about a note under his door? I personally think he should be thankful.

Gamers 4 Croyden [http://www.gamers4croydon.org/index.php] is currently running Kat Nicholson as a candidate against Michael Atkinson's seat. Now's the time for Australian citizens to have their voices heard at the ballot box.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can see it now, roving gangs of gamers beating up innocent bystandards with wireless controllers and making people look at goatsex man. The horror, the horror.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Dammit, he's onto me.
I'll stop waiting at his doorstep and wait on his neighbor's doorstep. He'll never expect that.
And of course, because I am obviously more dangerous than an outlaw motorcycle gang, he won't underestimate my aluminium table-spoon...
Of course I, as a gamer, am more dangerous than someone who may have firearms...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
That must be one big fart he's squeezing out - not even the Devil would have a smile like that.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Jesus Christ, Akkinson, when are you ever going to Denmark so i can shove my desk lamp deep up your Aussie arse.

seriously, in Denmark we´re actually dealing with a gang war, and hes comparing us to them? how dark is this mans evil banhammer heart?

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Worgen said:
I can see it now, roving gangs of gamers beating up innocent bystandards with wireless controllers and making people look at goatsex man. The horror, the horror.
The 360 wireless controler could actually fracture a mans skull if weilded by the right person.

I think I might take my bike down there and dispense a little "down under justice"... that sounded dirty...

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
No gamer have ever tried to kick my teeth in or break my spine with a lead pipe. As for bikers...
Anyway, if you're a **** who don't give a shit about your people while you're in charge of things - expect them to be disappointed.

Atkinson, please, die already. Everybody will be happy, including other Australian generals. You're old, do this world a favor.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'd like to see him hold the same sentiments about bikers if he outlawed bikes because he felt they were too dangerous. I think he'd be scrambling to the gamer's arms then.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Wha? Did he...really...I...seriously?

What the fuck Atkinson? If you weren't such a whiny ***** then people might agree with you. Instead of blindly disregarding everything you don't agree with like a 7 year old, start giving things a second glance and start analysing what really should be banned like a RATIONAL HUMAN BEING, then people might actually start sending you mail that only suggested mild dislike.

TyroSe7en

Sep 7, 2009
HA!!! I'M BADASS!!! Also I pity thouse who have to live in Austrailia with this guy, lucky for me, I'm safe in relativly open-minded Canada! =D

EDIT: If there is any gathering of the angry gamers to protest I would very much appreciate an e-mail of sorts leting me know. :p

D.L.390

Jan 16, 2010
Woodsey said:
That must be one big fart he's squeezing out - not even the Devil would have a smile like that.

LOL

Well, he's addressed the press a lot of times, and every time it's the same thing - I think you get what I'm incinuating here.

I hope someone kills the prick. People have been killed for screwing with fewer people in history and for doing less. I actually wouldn't be surprised if people dance in the streets when he's killed/voted out.

EDIT: I just realised, maybe the bikers who hate him so much will take offence to what he's said and f**k him up. Oh that would be so deliciously awesome, in trying to screw with one group, another group comes up behind him and does him up... Well yeah.

This man seems to have simillar views to my girlfriend's mother. They're both people who love to force their views on others no matter what they say. But unlike when we usually come across people like that, we can't tell this guy to f**k off and ignore him. He's a jerk with power, the worst kind.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I must have missed the point when Michael Atkinson went from "anti- videogame politician" to "paranoid inflammatory wackjob". What the heck is he doing watching his door at two in the morning? Come to think of it, what's wrong with slipping a letter under his door at two in the morning as opposed to any other time? How is he "at risk" from gamers?

You'd think that all the angry letters and emails and surprise visits at two in the morning would be taken as a sign that his politics are generally disliked.

Of course gamers are more badass. I alone have saved the world from evil geniuses, space pirates, ancient evils, evil wizards, the gates of Hell, AI run amok, and King Dedede.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Not that I think that the guy is any less of a tool, but people who physically threaten him really, REALLY don't make our side look good.