Microsoft Annoys People With Lode Runner Pricing Error

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Annoys People With Lode Runner Pricing Error

The internet is up in arms over a pricing error on the Xbox Live Marketplace release of Lode Runner [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841085B?cid=MajorNelson&partner=MajorNelson] which let a small number of gamers pick up the game for slighter less money than everyone else.

Lode Runner was originally set to hit the Xbox Live Marketplace at 1200 Microsoft Points, so there was a certain amount of surprise when it showed up at 800 points. Some people apparently thought Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] had reconsidered the pricing while others decided to leap in and grab it before anyone had a chance to fix the mistake. Those who thought they were witnessing a kinder, gentler Microsoft were in for disappointment, as within a few hours the company realized its mistake and bumped up the price.

"If you got it at 800 points, you're lucky," Xbox Live Director of Programming Larry Hryb, aka Major Nelson, wrote on his blog [http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/04/22/arcade-lode-runner.aspx?PageIndex=3]. "It looks like there was a pricing error that is being corrected."

That correction has led to well over 200 follow-up comments so far, most of which fall on the unhappy side of the fence. The 1200 Microsoft Points ($15) price for Lode Runner [http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/04/22/arcade-lode-runner.aspx?PageIndex=3] has never been particularly popular, of course, but when you add into the mix the righteous indignation that comes from knowing that other people got a deal while you missed out, it makes a long day for community manager types.

via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=213659]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
this is indeed one of the greatest outrages in the history of teh internetz. I demand a free copy in compensation for the mental anguish caused in reading about this

azadiscool

Dec 10, 2008
How many mistakes until people realize the proportions of the douche-baggery emanating from Microsoft?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Optimus Prime said:
Well I am disgusted (!) Actually daring to sell it for LESS than it should be. Microsoft should be strung up!
Testicles first too! :p

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
azadiscool said:
How many mistakes until people realize the proportions of the douche-baggery emanating from Microsoft?
I dunno. 1 mistake for every 100 things thing do right isn't that bad.

azadiscool

Dec 10, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
azadiscool said:
I didn't realize they've done that many things at all. *Fanboy fight ensues*

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
And here I was going to buy it today. Never mind that now. That extra $5 is a major point for me. *insert standard Braid pricing arguments here*

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
*sigh*

Microsoft, what are you doing? Just spin it into a "launch sale", reimburse the developer the lost revenue, and get on with it. You make some great games, but your really don't think first, sometimes.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
azadiscool said:
SirSchmoopy said:
azadiscool said:
Oh sure, another "Microsoft is evil" point. Everyone makes mistakes... it's just people in Microsoft seem empowered to make ANOTHER mistake before someone stops them.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
edgeofblade said:
azadiscool said:
SirSchmoopy said:
azadiscool said:
Oh sure, another "Microsoft is evil" point. Everyone makes mistakes... it's just people in Microsoft seem empowered to make ANOTHER mistake before someone stops them.
The should've double-checked the price before releasing the lode. When you drop the game down at such a price and have so many people upset that they had to spend more you find that they won't even bother with the lode. They'll just drop the lode and move on.

jamestoo

Aug 29, 2008
I was going to buy it for 800 points just once my points cards come through the post, they can piss off at 1200 though.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Who cares if some people got it for less?
You don't go crazy if someone wins the lottery, do you? You just think "Damn, too bad it wasn't me" not "HEY! Some of that prize is rightfully mine, because i paid for this ticket!"
Also, i wouldn't get the game either way :p

azadiscool

Dec 10, 2008
edgeofblade said:
azadiscool said:
SirSchmoopy said:
azadiscool said:
I guess I should go around making mistakes that show my failure as an entity, then just claim "I'm only human". Some mistakes are okay, but marketing a console early so you can tide over as many people as you can, therefore sacrificing all that makes a console good, is not okay. Milking a series that was not good to begin with by creating 3 more games is not okay. That is only in the console world too. I use Microsoft products, but I dream of the day that people come to their senses and Microsoft becomes a company worth spending money for.