Sega Teases Shenmue Fans With Ryo Hazuki Figurine

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sega Teases Shenmue Fans With Ryo Hazuki Figurine

If you're a fan of the long dormant Shenmue series, this special "Ryo Hazuki driving a forklift" figure might soothe the wound in your heart. Or it might make it worse.

Let February be forever known as "the month where Sega messes with the hearts of people who liked Shenmue." First, there was the revelation that the company "still thinks" about the series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97918-Sega-Still-Thinks-About-Shenmue] (but not enough to warrant making more games to continue Ryo Hazuki's story of revenge), and now there's this limited edition figure of Ryo himself driving a forklift.

"But John," you may be asking, "How do I get this little figurine to have and cherish in person, instead of looking longingly at the image on my computer monitor?" And to that, I say, "Oh, it's simple!" Simple, yes, but not easy: Sega is giving the Ryo Hazuki figurines out as part of a sweepstakes [http://www.sega.com/sonicracingsweeps/index.php] to celebrate the launch of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.

Only 1,000 of the figurines will be made, with 75 of them being available to Canada and the United States in the aforementioned sweepstakes - and a further 50 going to Sega's European community team to give our friends across the pond a (very slim) shot at getting their hands on this rare treasure. This treasure that will sit on your mantle and taunt you with the knowledge that Sega will probably never continue the series.

So maybe it's all for the best if you don't get one.

(Joystiq [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/16/win-a-limited-edition-ryo-hazuki-figurine/])

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
So, I put in my real birthdate and apparently I'm not allowed to view the website. Go figure. Being 19 is restricting me from entering?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I know what they're doing: If you break open the toy...A DVD with a trailer for Shenmue 3 is inside!

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I tried signing up for their Sega Pass, but the server keeps timing out! Damn it! I want that figurine!

Rage aside, driving around the forklift in the first Shenmue was oddly one of the best parts...aside from the 80 man brawl. I just wished the forklift didn't stop when someone got in the way. I could have made way more yen.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
My boyfriend freaked out because he thought the figure had something to do with a new Shenmue game. Darn Sega for crushing his hopes.

EDIT:: also, I just tried entering the sweepstakes.. it says I'm too young, but I'm 20.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
screw this franchise, after 2 incomplete games the story still wasn't finished?! and they don't have the nerve to finish their crappy series! forget shenmue

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Played the crap out of the first game....... *so many hours of Pachinko* I think they could have made a great series out of it. Some of the QTE botherd me though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Do. Want. Do want. Doooooowaaannnnnnnnt.
If you don't win the sweepstakes, surely one will be on eBay for a ludicrous price.
If only I made ludicrous money. :p
Start saving your money. No more food and drink and games. You NEED this figurine. You NEED it.

Alkestes

Dec 9, 2009
I loved Shenmue, and my fingers have been crossed for the third ever since I finished the second. And my God, that figurine is one of the most beautiful things I have ever laid eyes on.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
This reminds of the dig Gintama took at Shenmue fans, making fun of gamers waiting for the next installment. This figurine just seems to prove how sadistic Sega is, if all the crappy Sonic games weren't bad enough.