Fable 3 Co-Op Will Have More Features

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Fable 3 Co-Op Will Have More Features

Peter Molyneaux has claimed to have heard the cries for a better co-op system in Fable 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970462&sr=1-2] but there may be a cost.

The co-op system in Fable 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-II-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRVAD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279568713&sr=1-1] was fairly lackluster. A second player could join your game over a System Link or, with a patch, over Xbox Live, but they were relegated to mere henchmen status. While playing together, you could split up loot earned but the henchmen couldn't accept quests or gain experience. You could conceivably port any gold you earned as a henchmen back to your hero on another machine with memory card. For Fable 3, lead designer Peter Molyneaux promises that you'll be able to both play with your hero, your dog and all your equipment in co-op mode.

"I heard you all about co-op," Molyneaux told 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176640]. "You want to have your own hero come into the world. Okay, fine, you can have that definitely."

"When you come into my world, you come in as your hero, with your dog, with all your unique weapons, self-crafted weapons," Molyneaux. "I heard you - you don't wanna be tied to my camera, you wanna go off and do your own thing in my world. Fine, fair enough."

That doesn't mean that everything will be all hunky-dory, and there may be some consequences for playing in co-op mode. "It means careful who you invite in, 'cause they can screw the whole thing up, man!" Molyneaux warned.

It's true, your friend may start blowing up villagers and your golden butterflies good guy will suddenly start sprouting horns. He went on:

You can be customizing their house or doing their job, or buying something in a shop, while I'm out questing. You can do it. If you want to come out, in my co-op world and if we really get on well together, we should be able to get married. [Fable 3] is the first co-op game in which you can truly get married.

Yes, you can use touch with your coop partner. Yes, you can walk down the street hand-in-hand. Yes, you can drag your co-op partner to your dungeon and see what happens. Absolutely.

Molyneaux has made some big promises in the past, but it will be interesting to see more co-op features in a game like Fable.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176640]

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
I've got high hopes for Fable 3. I know t'old Pete's renowned for making risky promises about his games, but Fable 2 was mint, I don't care what anyone says. Now that Lionhead acctually have visual proof of most of the things Molyneux is gleefully raving about, I think Fable 3 could really be something else.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I liked both the previous fables. True co-op sounds good; be cool if it works offline as well so you can play with friends in the same room (obviously) because not everyone I know who'd be interested in playing this has a live/ a 360

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Fable 2 was great, I can't wait for the next one. The co-op was clearly tacked on in Fable 2. An example of shoving multiplayer into a game that didn't need it and making the end result suffer for it. Hopefully this will be done right from he start.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Anyone think that they put in that stupid everyone has to be on the same screen thing in F2 to change it in fable 3 to make it an improvement?

And so now its just single player with someone elsewhere who can run in and kill your wife.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The DSM said:
Anyone think that they put in that stupid everyone has to be on the same screen thing in F2 to change it in fable 3 to make it an improvement?

And so now its just single player with someone elsewhere who can run in and kill your wife.
Hopefully they'd keep the "safety" toggle from the first game.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
LIES! SECRETS AND LIES MOLYNEUX!

Honestly... Remember when he said that the AI from Black and white could learn? Oh sure they could... Barely. It took one of the creatures on it for me half a bloody hour to realise it was running into a wall... And one of them didn't move at all! EVER!

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
Fable was a disappointment, so was Fable 2, even though it got much closer to what was promised in the first Fable, and I certainly won't be laying down the cash for Fable 3 (I received a bootleg copy of Fable 2, har har).

I played through the majority of Fable 2 with my wife, and I was severely disappointed with the co op experience. Locked to the camera, only one person doing jobs, quests, and the framerate was just terrible.

These were problems that should never have left the development studio. "Hey, let's make a co op game with atrocious co op!"

And regardless of what he says will be promised in Fable 3, Molyneux has a history of disapointment behind him. I'll be speaking with my wallet on this matter.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Greg Tito said:
That doesn't mean that everything will be all hunky-dory, and there may be some consequences for playing in co-op mode. "It means careful who you invite in, 'cause they can screw the whole thing up, man!" Molyneaux warned.
I'm sure that would happen just like in Fable 2. Which he said excatly the same thing and what did happen?

Killing your wife or Husband, which was pointless since...

They die anyway!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ok, that is vaguely interesting, about time Fable 3 had a promise that Peter might be actually able to delliver on.

I look forward to the legions of husband-wife tag teams. Not to mention real world break ups suddenly having in game consequences, now there is NO ESCAPE FROM YOUR PSYCHO EX!

Thanks Mr Molyneux, we really needed that.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I could see Co-Op in this actually working. But...with everything that come from PM I have learned to take with a rather large pinch of salt...

Apr 28, 2008
And so the outlandish promises begin...

Just remember people, this is Peter Moleneux, so be careful if you choose to believe him. You will most likely be dissapointed.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Oh my... am i getting excited for Fable3?

I already was, not quite project ego excited, but this is looking better and better.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Hmm, so either you will only get half of this promise or you get all of this promise at the expense of another promise... everyone knows Molyneux only comes through on half of what he promises... the other half is the promises he made in the previous game.

So Fable 3 is likely to be made up of the promises he didnt come through on in Fable 2 and half of the promises he made for Fable 3... it should be a good game but over hyped.