The Boy Who Would Be Sonic X

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Boy Who Would Be Sonic X

A six-year-old boy in Norway wanted to change his name to Sonic X, so he wrote a letter to the King. The King replied.

Chister, a six-year-old boy in Norway, didn't like his name. Or, at least, he would have preferred another name, the name of a certain speedy and blue mascot who, despite having lost the favor of jaded gamers, still has the love of children across the world. Sonic.

So Chister, being the proactive youngster he is, decided to make it happen. He wrote a letter all on his own, asking the King of Norway, Harald V, to change his name to "Sonic X" for him, Sonic X [http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/04/23/nyheter/innenriks/navn/5882735/] is the title of an anime starring Sonic and his buddies, evidently all the rage with the kids in Norway.

But Chister's parents, possibly embarrassed of their child or genuinely afraid that the king might reject their son's request and cause irreparable trauma, wouldn't send the letter. Months later Chister finally won his parents over, and the letter was off to the King.

And the King actually replied. Which was awful nice of him, but unfortunately, he had to decline Chister's request, not because of the name but simply because Chister isn't 18 yet and therefore not qualified to make this kind of decision about his life. Guess young Chister's just going to have wait another 12 years before he can become his true self.

(NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359443])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wow. That king is a pretty nice guy. Responds to letters...even though its likely someone acting as the king, now that I think about it.

Perhaps its best that he couldn't change his name to Sonic X. Knuckles would have been better.
I know that I wouldn't want to mess with someone named Knuckles.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well that was nice of him to actually respond...

And hearing it directly from the kind would likely dissuade the kid anyway.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
That is quite cool, getting a personal response from the king. I wonder if the kid will still be so keen to have his name changed in this way once he hits 18....

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MarsProbe said:
That is quite cool, getting a personal response from the king. I wonder if the kid will still be so keen to have his name changed in this way once he hits 18....
My bet would be - he will slam his head on the door few times the moment he remembers it.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I wish I had a King to write to me and be nice to me. But then again, in this day and age people with the title of "King" don't have much choice but to be nice to their subjects, do they? Still, it's a nice gesture that he had no choice but to make.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
cute but umm...yeah i was going to say something and then got distracted......

....oh right WHAT IS HE THINKING!

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Aww...such a tohcing story. SOnic X is not a bad cartoon actually, it just doesn't make much sense watched sporadically (as I watched it). [There are evil plant things trying to use some emeralds for something....? Weird]

If the kid still wants to be named Sonic X when he's 18, he deserves some sort of award...not neccessarily a good award mind...

The Brian J

Apr 18, 2009
Oh man, the horror that boy would have endured if he actually did change his name to that.

Still, it's really really awesome that the king took the time to write him back.

And it shows that Sonic the Hedgehog still is popular! With 6 year old kids! In Norway!

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Norway has a king? Does he have an axe and a pointy-horned helmet?
Valhalla! Yes it does, they also got a penguin thats Colonel in Chief of the Royal Norwegian Guard

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
please i think we all know tails is the best (I wonder inthere will be any disagreement.......)