FFXIII Demo Drives Big Advent Children Sales

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
FFXIII Demo Drives Big Advent Children Sales

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete had the biggest release day sales for any Blu-Ray yet in Japan, no doubt because Advent Children is an immaculate work of cinema that everyone should own.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children broke sales records for Blu-Ray in Japan when it released was released last week by selling more than 100,000 copies on the first day of its release. Doesn't seem like much by general media consumption standards, but as Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5219170/final-fantasy-advent-children-complete-sells-over-100000-on-first-day] points out, the best selling anime Blu-Ray in Japan last year only took in 34,742 copies.

The movie, which is a revised and updated version of the CG flick that captured the minds and hearts of Cloud Strife fanboys in 2005, features 30 more minutes of footage and an anime adaptation of a Final Fantasy VII mini-movie starring key Advent Children figure Denzel.

Advent Children Complete was such a sales success, in fact, that it's starting to look like it even drove PS3 sales up. The week before the film's release, the PS3 sold 16,701 units. The week it came out, according to early data [http://kotaku.com/5223689/final-fantasy-vii-advent-children-complete-gave-ps3-a-sales-bump], the PS3 sold 57,000 units.

It's a beautiful, stirring and profound film, full of soul and visual wonder. If you're wondering why Advent Children Complete sold so many copies, look no further than its consummate artistry and true mastery of the cinematic narrative form.

Also, there was a Final Fantasy XIII demo that came with it.

The US release is scheduled for June 2nd, though the demo is, at this point, not planned to be included.

(AnimeNews.biz [http://www.animenews.biz/final-fantasy-vii-advent-children-complete-reaches-100000-copies-sold-on-release-day-1143/])

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Profound? I'm not sure to what extent you're joking here... Erm, not sure about that, but then I'm not a fan of FFVII. That said, it's a very pretty film, and not a bad story, though nothing amazing. So probably the demo selling units there. Though I'm not going to expect anything interesting...maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, maybe not.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Keane Ng said:
If you're wondering why Advent Children Complete sold so many copies, look no further than its consummate artistry and true mastery of the cinematic narrative form.
*dies laughing*

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I wish they'd just let FF7 die.

AC had some really pretty action sequences, but nothing else.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:

I've been waiting years for someone to say that, at last someone who agrees with me!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Try watching it in a room full of drooling FFVII fanboys... it's pretty unpleasant.

I enjoy the action, but the fact that they could fly? Seriously? Too much DBZ there...

The only fight scene I really liked was the Tifa In the Church one, very cool.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Saw this coming. You attach a demo for a FF game to another object, and people will buy it. I do believe a demo for 12 came with Dragon Quest 8...but at least DQ8 was great on its own merits. Unlike this movie.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
StarStruckStrumpets said:
I've gotta get FFVIIACC, it's an adapted version of FFVIIAC. How much extra time is on Complete?
Half an hour onto the movie, and then some extra separate content.

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Try watching it in a room full of drooling FFVII fanboys... it's pretty unpleasant.

I enjoy the action, but the fact that they could fly? Seriously? Too much DBZ there...

*Cough* Low Gravity *Cough*

That explains most FFIV things.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
FFVII represents a big change in the FF universe, mainly it being 3D and moving to PS.

It was a good game, but I really do prefer VI to seven, especially because you don't have so many anime cliches.

Actually, that is probably another reason why FFVII was so big, the story follows a fairly standard anime plot, and anime was getting more well known at the time.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Ugh, they couldn't even get the DBZ formula right. After watching Cloud do a triple somersault over a motorcycle while adjusting swords and blocking bullets, something just snapped in me. The heroes can't get hurt, the villains can't get hurt, and after a while it doesn't even make sense for them to be fighting because they never land a single punch.

At least in DBZ people get beaten up or die.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Saw this coming. You attach a demo for a FF game to another object, and people will buy it. I do believe a demo for 12 came with Dragon Quest 8...but at least DQ8 was great on its own merits. Unlike this movie.
\

All things considered DQ8 is arguably a better game than FFXII...

But I would buy Advent Children to get an FFXIII demo, unless they were charging extortion prices for it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
\

All things considered DQ8 is arguably a better game than FFXII...

But I would buy Advent Children to get an FFXIII demo, unless they were charging extortion prices for it.
I actually think it is superior to FF12 (yeah, fuck the roman numerals, it takes longer), too. But I'm saying that its better to get a demo with something good, then it is to get a demo with something bad.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Not surprised here. The games have lost a little bit of their charm for an odd reason as far as I'm concerned - the departure of Nobuo Uematsu left a void in the musical feel of the series that 12 didn't really fill for me.

Like someone else in the thread, I think VI is the pinnacle of the series, not VII. I really think VII's appeal was in the change of format along with characters that fit so many stereotypical anime personalities. I didn't particularly care for it too much myself, and Xenogears, which came out around the same time, blew it totally away for me.

Still, I've played every FF and will definitely play XIII. I just think that the buzz for the games has decreased with every title. It may have been why they delayed this along with all the other reasons - starve out the FF fans, and they'll be hungry for a sequel.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
fsanch said:
Not surprised here. The games have lost a little bit of their charm for an odd reason as far as I'm concerned - the departure of Nobuo Uematsu left a void in the musical feel of the series.
Most of the team left. This include the series creator Sakaguchi (Don't know if I spelled the name right).

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Ollie596 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

I've been waiting years for someone to say that, at last someone who agrees with me!
That's all it's ever been, though. I always thought that this was kind of unspoken, but understood. You only watch FFVII:AC for the action, not for story (and to hear the characters with voices).