Sonic Team Isn't Making Sonic 4

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sonic Team Isn't Making Sonic 4

Here's something unexpected: According to a listing on the Xbox Live Marketplace, Sega's Sonic Team won't be behind the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Let's review the surprises (or at least unexpected reveals) regarding Project Needlemouse so far, shall we?

Surprise #1: Sega has learned its lesson and at long last will be making another Sonic the Hedgehog game where Sonic is the only character [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97508-Sonic-Goes-Solo-Once-More-in-Project-Needlemouse].

Surprise #2: Project Needlemouse is actually an episodic Sonic the Hedgehog 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98028-Sega-Unveils-Episodic-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-4].

Surprise #3: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 isn't being made by longtime series developer Sonic Team, if this Xbox Marketplace listing [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0bbf0002-0000-4000-8000-000058410a07] is to be believed.

Instead, the listing names Osaka-based studio Dimps as the developers of Sonic 4. This may alarm some Sonic fans, while it may reassure others: As the developers of Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance, Dimps clearly has experience with 2D Sonic games, some of which might actually be considered good.

I'm not sure what it says about a series (or rather, about a developer) when fans are glad to find out that the traditional development team isn't working on the next game, but here it is regardless.

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5473427/sega-not-developing-sonic-4])

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Good news!

After all, the Sonic Advance series was pretty much a more up to date Sonic 3. Even though it had all the extra characters.

Sonic Rush though, man, it's the only reason I still have my DS.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Sonic Team has made shitty games for almost a decade and a half, im sure Dimps cant be worse.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I liked Sonic Advance and wanted to get Sonic Rush. Though all things considered, I actually enjoyed the 3D ones like Sonic Heroes (though I never got around to playing ones like Sonic Unleashed and whatnot). And I liked the new characters, on the whole (though some were a little annoying...).

But my point is, if this is being made b the Rush and Advance developers then I'm all for it. They have experience of making a good Sonic game, so I'm pretty reassured by all this :D.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Sonic's 1 through 3 and SOnic and knuckles are the best games on the Genesis that were made by Sonic Team...then they tried LSD and thought Sonic could survive in the 3d realm and sadly he could not after being busted for Drug usage and Beastiality with a minor

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Freebird. said:
It's hard to say if this is good or bad. On one hand, Sonic Team made those crappy 3D games but you have to remember that they made the 2D ones too.
I found the sonic adventure games to be good but everything after sonic adventure 2 was painful to play. But i also agree 2d sonic is better then 3d sonic any day.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I'm happy with the change. Sonic Team might have done some great things in the past, they've clearly lost their touch quite a while back. Taking a step back and letting someone else have a shot seems like a chance that's worth taking.

Feb 4, 2010
Freebird. said:
It's hard to say if this is good or bad. On one hand, Sonic Team made those crappy 3D games but you have to remember that they made the 2D ones too.
The question is whether or not any of the people responsible for the good games are still on the team. I've heard they've changed their lineup a bit since the old days so it might be a case where they're Sonic Team in name only.

Which begs the question: if Sega is going to hire an outside developer to make the good Sonic games, why don't they just replace Sonic Team? Or keep the name and replace everyone in Sonic Team?

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Hey, Tails would be ok, but if they fixed his AI, (Sonic 2 anyone?). BUT ONLY TAILS!!!! But going back to roots sounds like a good idea at this point- being as though his creators never knew what Sonic was and kept messing with him.

We wanted to go fast. 3D is bad for this, and nothing is wrong with 2D gosh darn it! We want simply, zaney fun, killing robots, saving animals inside, and we want to be smashing Dr. Robotnic's stuff. We don't need a reason, just point us towards the red guy!

Sonic Team has obviously made some bad decisions recently, so a different developer couldn't do much worse at this point, (I hope).

xrobbedgex

Aug 26, 2009
http://www.bscreview.com/2010/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-leaked-video/

This video shows the Sonic Team logo though...

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Dude, this is good news! Sonic Team has been fucking up the 3D Sonic games for the last decade. Dimps has been making the only good Sonic games, i.e. the 2D ones on the GBA and DS. They're actually worthy followups to the Genesis titles IMO. In addition, Dimps was behind the daytime stages of the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, which were actually significantly different and better than the 360/PS3 version. In short, unlike Sonic Team, Dimps actually knows how to make a good Sonic game! I am quite optimistic about this game now...

Dec 14, 2009
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
Freebird. said:
The question is whether or not any of the people responsible for the good games are still on the team. I've heard they've changed their lineup a bit since the old days so it might be a case where they're Sonic Team in name only.

Which begs the question: if Sega is going to hire an outside developer to make the good Sonic games, why don't they just replace Sonic Team? Or keep the name and replace everyone in Sonic Team?
That's one thing I don't understand, after all the failed Sonic Team games, why the hell are they still around. Surely Sega can see that they are no good, so why not make a team that can actually make good games.

QuadrAlien

Mar 20, 2008
Freebird. said:
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
Freebird. said:
That's true, but it's not just classic Sonic games you have to think about. The Sonic Rush games only came out a few years ago and they were well received.
Well, there you've gone and hit on the crux of it, you see. The non-Sonic Team people making it now ARE the people who made the Sonic Rush games. :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Christemo said:
Sonic Team has made shitty games for almost a decade and a half, im sure Dimps cant be worse.
This is true...and if they can... /farewell Sonic!