Alabama University Shooter Played Dungeons & Dragons

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alabama University Shooter Played Dungeons & Dragons

Sources have revealed that Amy Bishop Anderson, the University of Alabama biology professor who killed three faculty members last week, was a "devotee" of the so-called game known as Dungeons & Dragons.

Anderson, in case you missed the story, BostonHerald.com [http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/13/alabama.university.shooting/index.html?iref=allsearch] have unearthed another, much darker potential influence: Amy Bishop Anderson played Dungeons & Dragons.

Anderson actually met her future husband, James Anderson, through the D&D club at Northeastern University [http://www.northeastern.edu/], where both were "heavily" into the game, according to an anonymous source. "They even acted this crap out," the source claimed.

Her husband, naturally, attempted to deny his connection to the "egghead escape," describing it as merely a "passing interest."

"It was a social thing more than anything else," he claimed. "It's not the crazy group people think they are."

But as the Herald pointed out, Anderson isn't the only D&D aficionado to go on a murderous rampage: In 2000, Michael McDermott, another known player, killed seven of his co-workers at Edgewater Technology. Police in that case seized two Dungeons & Dragons books from his apartment following his arrest. Coincidentally - or not - McDermott also studied at Northeastern University in the late 80s, although Anderson insisted the two never actually met.

The article notes that Dungeons & Dragons has a "long history of controversy," with many people objecting to its "demonic and violent elements." While there are those who claim it's just a game, some experts have pointed out that an interest in the game has been noted among some people who have gone on to commit violent crimes; a federal appeals court also recently upheld a ban on the game in prisons in Wisconsin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97794-Dungeons-Dragons-Banned-in-Prison] after officials testified that they were worried the game could cause "hostility, violence and escape behavior."

At least one observer also expressed concern that Dungeons & Dragons is a "gateway game" that could lead people to play the infinitely more dangerous Mazes and Monsters, the game that famously drove Tom Hanks irretrievably insane in 1982.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/02/17/attempt-link-alabama-shooter-dampd]

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
First off, now a days you can find a link to everything if you look hard enough. I stole some bubble gum last year because apparently a friend of a friend once wore one of OJ Simpson's underwear. OMG conspiracy!

But anyways... "They even acted this crap out," the source claimed. Best quote EVER.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Called it. No seriously, I stinking called it. There was no way in hell that videogames or games in general would stay out of this. I've been waiting for this article since the moment I read the original.

EDIT: added: or games in general >_> I thought that but didn't type it

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
People fail to understand the power of D&D. A copy of the rulebook was in Ed and Loraine Warren's Ghost Library apparently .

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Obvious connection, isn't there?
I'm quite sure that she drank water. In fact, every murderer in the world drank water. Obvious connection, isn't there?

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Psychosocial said:
It's not the game that's the problem, it's the people. No offence to all you Dungeons and Dragons players, but lots of the D&D players are basement dwellers with not that many friends aside from their fellow D&D players.
Stereotypical much, mate?
Same thing can be assumed about gamers, you know?

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Premonition said:
Called it. No seriously, I stinking called it. There was no way in hell that videogames would stay out of this. I've been waiting for this article since the moment I read the original.
same. this is so stupid, read up on this psycho *****'s history, and not lie here, she tryed to bomb a kid's hospital once. and she killed her own brother with a shotgun at 18, which there reviewing now because back then she clamed it was a "misfire"...

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Journeythroughhell said:
Obvious connection, isn't there?
I'm quite sure that she drank water. In fact, every murderer in the world drank water. Obvious connection, isn't there?
This only adds further credence to my wife and my theory that the fish are out to get us with their swimming and their unblinking stares and their evil mind control...

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Yay! Let's drive this pastime further into the ground! There are SOOOOO many worse things you can do these days, and more graphic for that matter, I don't know why people are still making connections to a, what, 30 year old pen and paper game?

I am waiting for the day the first murder is connected to a certain image board. At least that might make more sense.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Counting down until the fundies jump on the D&D hate train again...

She went on a murder rampage because of severe mental instability, most likely. And I'm talking like serial killer type instability. Playing D&D has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. It's being used as an excuse to demonize role playing games just like Fox News blames all the evils in the universe on video games.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
The CNN article linked didn't make any mention of anything.

Regardless, it was poor reporting.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Counting down until the fundies jump on the D&D hate train again...

She went on a murder rampage because of severe mental instability, most likely. And I'm talking like serial killer type instability. Playing D&D has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. It's being used as an excuse to demonize role playing games just like Fox News blames all the evils in the universe on video games.
No,no, it was definintly the D and D, what's mental instability anyway? Probably just an excuse to get out of class ><

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
D&D is not what the media should be obsessing over. Because the bigger news is that she made the ice cream truck stop coming to her neighborhood. It should have been obvious to everyone after that that this woman was both insane and likely to go on a shooting rampage. Anybody who does that should immediately be put on the Most Wanted and No Fly list, in my opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have something against ice cream trucks you're a danger to both yourself and others.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Deofuta said:
Yay! Let's drive this pastime further into the ground! There are SOOOOO many worse things you can do these days, and more graphic for that matter, I don't know why people are still making connections to a, what, 30 year old pen and paper game?

I am waiting for the day the first murder is connected to a certain image board. At least that might make more sense.
Virginia Tech says Hi.