Sony Files Patent for Universal Game Controller

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Files Patent for Universal Game Controller

Nintendo [http://www.sony.com] consoles, and configure its buttons differently for each.

"Just like remote controls, game consoles, and thus game controllers, are becoming widespread," Sony wrote in its patent application [http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=20100041480.PGNR.&OS=dn/20100041480&RS=DN/20100041480] for the new controller. "It is not surprising to find more than one game console in a household, especially when competing game console manufacturers attempt to attract unconventional consumer groups in the gaming industry. As understood herein, it would be useful to have a universal controller that would be able to work with a variety of game consoles."

The controller uses an LCD touch screen rather than conventional buttons, allowing it to display different layouts depending on the console it's connected to. As well as being compatible with current-gen hardware, the application states that the device will also be designed to work with older consoles and function as a virtual keyboard.

"The controller provides for backward compatibility so that it may be programmed to emulate the key layout of an older controller that may no longer be available, so that an owner of an older game console can still use the console," it says. "Further, in addition to action and navigation symbols the display can present an image of a keyboard that can be manipulated to input alpha-numeric characters."

Other features the device may offer include wireless operation, vibration feedback, internal storage and more. It all seems very hypothetical at this point and it's probably safe to assume that it'll be a long while yet before you've got a Sony controller plugged into your GameCube. It's an interesting idea, though, and could prove to be a Godsend for people tired of looking at the big pile of controllers sitting on the coffee table.

via: ColdStorage [http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/02/19/sony-patent-universal-controller/] for the tip

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
If they can make it work, this will be very cool and money-saving.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
It sounds like one of these would actually cost MORE that a normal controller for the console. Also, a touch screen doesn't sound too good to me, I know that when I'm playing an intense game I tend to grip the controller harder.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
A touch screen would be absolutely stupid, for so so many reasons, and how is it going to emulate the wii well?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I can't help but think that they have no intention of ever making this, only patenting it to stop someone else from doing it.
Mind you, one of these would cost a fair bit, so I suppose it wouldn't be much competition to the DualShock3.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Hmm, I don't know, being a touch screen and all. I like having to feel the damn buttons under my fingers! It's like trying to play DDR with one cheap mat you get for 50$. Inevitably, you'll end up being completely off the marks!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Universal controller? Kewl. But it may well be inefficent, at least the earliest models. And the touchscreen... bad idea, there's way too little tactile feedback as it is.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Interesting, I'd like to see a universal controller, but maybe not one with a touch screen, that just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
If they can make it work, this will be very cool and money-saving.
Definetly. Also great for parties when you always lack that one controller!

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
hmm....I dont know, I could see it costing alot, not to mention I dont think Nintendo will be happy with them taking away the money the make when you have to buy new controler every time you hurl a wii remote thorugh your T.V.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Without the tactile feedback that actual buttons and joysticks provide I honestly don't see how this could be very effective.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Have they not noticed that iPhone games that try to emulate traditional buttons and d-pads do so rather poorly, due to the lack of being able to feel the damned buttons? This is a terrible idea. Not to mention, there'll probably be legal issues with Sony making a device that can be used with their competitor's products. Finally, this would be SO damned expensive. You could probably just buy the three separate controllers for the price.

On the other hand, a $2 iPhone app that does the exact same thing might be worth it, despite the faults with touch controls emulating force-feedback based controls (sans force feedback). I mean, hell, it sounds like it could be done rather easily. The iPhone has bluetooth, Wifi, and can already be used as a mouse...

Man, I gotta learn how to make iPhone apps.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah, it sounds cool and all, but two problems:

1) It would need about 14 or so different plugs to be backwards compatible with older consoles.
2) Touch Screen = Bad idea. No tactile feedback on the controller will just suck, and throw many gamers off their game.Especially for fast-paced games that require precise controls.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Interesting. I'd like to see this work but I'm not going to go all fan-boy bonkers over this until more detailed information comes out.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
That's a really good idea, but because it's sony thats making it, It'll probably look like a Playstation Controller