Boston Dynamics Reveals Shape-Shifting Robot Program

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Boston Dynamics Reveals Shape-Shifting Robot Program

What's more frightening than robotic death machines intent on enslaving humanity? How about robots that can change shape at will to squeeze into tiny openings?

That seems to be the idea behind the newest robotics program in development at Boston Dynamics [http://www.bostondynamics.com/robot_squishbot.html]. Dubbed "SquishBot," the U.S. military-funded program hopes to create "a new class of soft, shape-changing robot" able to mimic behaviors seen in animals such as the octopus.

As this footage demonstrates [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nerh38LpOOc], the octopus' soft, pliable body allows it to deflate parts of its anatomy at will, turning even the tiniest of holes into a welcoming doorway for the clever cephalopods.

In theory, a SquishBot will be able to perform similar feats owing to "design systems that can transform themselves from hard to soft and from soft to hard, upon command."

The Boston Dynamics team, which was previously responsible for the ambulatory, DARPA-funded Big Dog robot [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2bExqhhWRI], is augmented by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who specialize in "novel materials and deformable structures."

I was totally on board with BD creating giant walking pack mules, even if they intended to strap chainguns to their backs, but the idea of robots constructed of "novel materials" that can change shape at will is a bit unnerving.

At least Skynet was polite enough to dress its shape-changing death machines up like Robert Patrick. Not even James Cameron could make the idea of laser-toting worms intent on crawling in all your important holes palatable.

(Image) [http://www.bostondynamics.com/robot_squishbot.html]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Interesting concept - I'll be interested to see if they manage it - also, that Dog-bot was cool! I can easily imagine those things being used as mules to get supplies across broken terrain to frontline troops, or as scouts, or something!

Oh, and Octpi are very odd - very intelligent as well as being incredibly flexible.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
That's...Huh.. I'm pretty insectofobic, so I wouldn't want the military suing me for beating the crap out of one of their million-dollar spy machines.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
...more than meets the eye.

Isn't this exactly the type of thing the administration just announced was being cut from the military budget?

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Between this and the Big Dog, it looks like Boston Dynamics are dead-set on making the creepiest robots they can.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Scary. I am actually really happy to see all these advancements in Robotics. Ghost in the Shell, here we come! :)

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
DRADIS C0ntact said:
design systems that can transform themselves from hard to soft and from soft to hard, upon command.
I...must...resist...the urge.....!!
Don't forget the fact that they can "squeeze into tiny openings". And they've been compared to octopi. I'm surprised this isn't Japanese.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Click the link up there dalek. It includes a video of Big Dog walking around and being all bad ass. You can almost feel its hatred of us carbon based folk.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Creepy, not that a Robert Patrick looking deathbot is a much more pleasant idea of a death bot, but that is very strange.
The bigdog bot reminds me of the Geckos in MGS4.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I'm starting to fear Boston Dynamics more and more each day.
BIGDOG haunts my dreams with his jumping and "NEENAAAAJNAHAHANAHAANHA" noise.

Their both cool though :)
Even if they will be used in the mechanic uprising.

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
zoozilla said:
Between this and the Big Dog, it looks like Boston Dynamics are dead-set on making the creepiest robots they can.
nova18 said:
I'm starting to fear Boston Dynamics more and more each day.
BIGDOG haunts my dreams with his jumping and "NEENAAAAJNAHAHANAHAANHA" noise.
Boston Dynamics really really do scare me as well.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Oh they just want to be on the same level as Japan when it comes to "we just want to scare you shitless."