Final Fantasy VII Remake Would Take Too Long to Develop

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Final Fantasy VII Remake Would Take Too Long to Develop

Final Fantasy VII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1] remake probably won't happen, this time saying that it would take too long to make.

If you're one of the long time FFVII fans wishing upon stars, wells and birthday candles in the hopes of seeing a remake, prepare to have your status quo absolutely maintained, as the official word from FFXII producer Yohsinori Kitase is, as per usual, 'probably not, but you never know'.

According to Kitase a next-gen remake of Final Fantasy VII would simply take too long to make: "If we were to recreate Final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we'd imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together," Kitase explained, "so it's looking pretty unrealistic!"

He then went on to say: "If it were possible that we had all the right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we'd very much like a go at it."

So yet again, the possibility of a remake seems highly unlikely, but not impossible, provided that Square-Enix can find a way to compress something that would apparently take fourteen years of development time into just twelve months. I can appreciate Square-Enix not wanted to completely dismiss the idea of a remake, but honestly, at this point, it just seems that the remake is just a way of keeping the Final Fantasy name in the spotlight.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/20/kitase-final-fantasy-vii-remake-unrealistic-would-take-too-l/]

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
A remake would be amazing, but I can live without it. I have the original off PSN, and am happy with that, but seeing the way game development is going, in the next 5-10 years they probably could build the thing in a year, maybe...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I suppose at least they are addressing the issue somewhat. I can ceretainly see there point

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
So what is it takes a long time to develop.As long as it would be good,I would buy it.And many more would buy it even if it were to be bad.

Don´t they see that they could make BILLIONS!!! in making an FFVII remake.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Eh, I'd really, really love a remake of it, but I get their point.

Oh well, I hope they somehow find those right facilities and the right environment.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase has once again re-iterated the point that the long discussed Final Fantasy VII remake probably won't happen, this time saying that it would take too long to make.
Please stop talking about it then. You're making the fanboys weep!! ;O) I'm still standing by my earlier statements that FFVII and all it's bastard offspring need to be left in a ditch to die. Hopefully SE'll turn their attention to making Kingdom Hearts 3.

random123456789

Sir Grand Boogie Master
Mar 17, 2009
as a dreamer why can't someone invent the damn "right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we'd very much like a go at it." catch up technology please
*Continues Dreaming*

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Dude, by all means, if you can scrounge up a bit more resources and downplay the graphics to more acceptable levels, do it. It doesn't have to take that long, man. A game is not about graphics, but about gameplay. What the people rooting for the remake, including me, want is that we can play as Cloud in a current gen environment. Just because you're downplaying several aspects doesn't mean you're betraying the game's potential.

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
>_> Well, instead of quadrupling the development time, they could just quadruple the development team?

*Sigh*

Alas, maybe one day when we meet our robot overlords they might make it for us!

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
"We might remake it" "We wont remake it" "We might remake it" "We wont remake it" "We might remake it" "We wont remake it" "We might remake it" "We wont remake it" "We might remake it" "We wont remake it"

Either remake it or STFU about it already! Christ.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
If they had started making it back when the PS3 tech demo was released then they would already have had a few years head start and given that Sony have said that they have a long term commitment to the PS3 it wouldn't be outlandish to say that a FFVII remake could still come out. Hell, it could even be used to sell huge numbers of the next console they come out with after the PS3 withers away in very many years.

And it isn't as if they would need to spend money writing a script since one already exists that they know people like, so that would save them time and money for paying extra monkeys to code the rest of the game.

blackshark121

Jan 4, 2009
Let's compromise: don't animate it to the level of 13, but maybe 10? Just a little bit more than what it is. That would be nice. Or sell the rights to another company so they can remake it.

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
They take too long to develop anything... I don't buy this reason - they'd just keep re-releasing old SNES games and making cheap FF spin-offs if was that.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Why would it take 4 times as long as XIII, is XIII going to be 1/4th the length of VII or something

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
That wont put the fan boys off, they will wait till the end of time and more for there precious holy grail to be re-made.

Also with the pedistal they put FF7 on, they can only be disapointed.

john_alexander

Aug 16, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
-Snip-

According to Kitase a next-gen remake of Final Fantasy VII would simply take too long to make: "If we were to recreate Final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we'd imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together,"
This? This here is right here is why I HATE HATE HATE the graphics race. Now, don't get me wrong, but I never really liked FFVII (but that's not important right now). However, it was a pretty long game, with a lot of stuff in it. So if trying to update the graphics would take three times as long as the current Final Fantasy to develop (and that's with the story already made [though they would probably re-write a lot of the dialog and record voice-overs]), does that mean FFXIII has a third the content? Seriously?