John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From The Road: The StarCraft Dilemma

What is the measure of a sequel?

Read Full Article

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Bravo John! Exactly what I was thinking. Innovations is an overused term these days. Why change something that was so good in the first place?

Also, I find the new units to be innovation enough. Nydus worms and Reapers to be very interesting new changes to basic their respective races..

apfontana

Nov 5, 2009
One area to explore is how Blizzard as a company approaches a game. Did they innovate with the original SC? Did any WC title innovate? Blizzard's strength is in polished, user friendly experiences with a lot of depth. Easy to pick up, difficult to master. I'm not sure they are a company you look to for innovation but rather the source for refinement.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Depth can kill. Keep adding depth with every iteration, and pretty soon a game is just too dang complicated to appeal to anyone new. The base becomes insular. I think making small tweaks and minor adjustments is the way to go.

I was actually worried that they were changing TOO MUCH when I saw the battle report videos. At the time I thought, "Holy cow! They changed everything! This is a whole new game!" (It wasn't - they were just showing off the new stuff and ignoring the same stuff, which made the changes feel more radical than they were.)

Still, I won't be there on launch day. As someone who played only single-player and LAN, I want to see how well those things work before I dive in.

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
Great article. I agree mostly with what you said. Blizzard did the smart thing by not just ripping off of newer RTS titles like dawn of war or company of heroes. Some may argue that if you make a new RTS they have to have cover systems and area control and etc because that's what is hot these days. However that is pure and simple bullshit. If Dawn of War and Company of Heroes were chocolate chip cookies with caramel inside, Starcraft 2 is a yummy butter cookie. Just because everything these days has caramel and chocolate in it does NOT mean that every cookie going forward has to be chocolate and caramel. Let Starcraft be Starcraft, If you don't like it then don't buy it or play it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Shamus Young said:
Depth can kill. Keep adding depth with every iteration, and pretty soon a game is just too dang complicated to appeal to anyone new. The base becomes insular. I think making small tweaks and minor adjustments is the way to go.

I was actually worried that they were changing TOO MUCH when I saw the battle report videos. At the time I thought, "Holy cow! They changed everything! This is a whole new game!" (It wasn't - they were just showing off the new stuff and ignoring the same stuff, which made the changes feel more radical than they were.)

Still, I won't be there on launch day. As someone who played only single-player and LAN, I want to see how well those things work before I dive in.
I LAN'd a ton back in the day, but to be perfectly honest I haven't experienced any significant lag at all while playing on Battle.net (to be fair, I'm hardly a pro). Tonight we'll be doing a 2v2 from Chez Escape, and while that's hardly a stress test of any sort, if it holds up then I think the game might manage just fine without traditional LAN. Though I do want to hear more about the direct-enabled pseudo-LAN they have for tournaments and the like.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Agreed. Sequels would be better if they just stick to the original, fix only what needs fixing, offer new content, and update to new technology. Dawn of War 2 is a good example of how NOT to do a sequel. Not that it is a terrible game and not that it should not have been made, but it should have been called something else. Kudos to Blizzard for not making the same mistake.

That said, not offering camera rotation and better zoom seems a little behind-the-times. I'll leave commentary on the whole LAN/Battlenet 2.0 issue to Shamus.

Cap'n Haddock

Jul 28, 2009
Just finished downloading the client to watch replays; loving every minute of SC2.
When I think of great sequel games, I think of Jedi Knight II and Half Life 2; both of them perfectly captured their original games, updated their engines and streamlined the gameplay successfully.

Bad sequels I can think of are numerous.
Two games that I love, but are terrible sequels are the games that should have been expansion packs; games that are just slight upgrades to the original
Culprits of this are Left 4 Dead 2 and Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy, games that should have been left to develop more on their own instead of relying on slightly upgraded versions of the same engine and using resources from the original game.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
TO be frank, what im looking foward in SC2 is an even better map editor (the first being nearly perfect imho), and to see where the storyline goes.

I dont actually like RTS games that much.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Just ran Starcraft 2 for the first time and looked at some replays (that's all you can do right know if you aren't in the beta as it hasn't been cracked yet).

Opening up the game for the first time was a magical feeling, like I just couldn't believe it was real.

The Purple Crusader

Dec 23, 2008
Wait wait wait wait wait wait......how are you running SC2..if you arent in the beta? This has now gone into boggle my mind category.

Deofuta said:
Where are you guys
dochmbi said:
Just ran Starcraft 2 for the first time and looked at some replays (that's all you can do right know if you aren't in the beta as it hasn't been cracked yet).

Opening up the game for the first time was a magical feeling, like I just couldn't believe it was real.
Where are you guys finding the client? I'd love to watch replays as well!
Yah, I want to know that too!

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Where are you guys
dochmbi said:

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
Twad said:
TO be frank, what im looking foward in SC2 is an even better map editor (the first being nearly perfect imho), and to see where the storyline goes.

I dont actually like RTS games that much.
just if u didnt know they managed to make a fps out of it with the mod tools and classic arcade shooter style games. so if your into modding, sc2 is about to kick the modding community right into the next generation

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Nah, I'm afraid I disagree. I'm the kind of guy that does want innovation, especially in RTSs. I played on Command and Conquer 3, and was fairly annoyed that after all this time, very little had actually changed. If the game is too much like the original, why make the sequel at all? Why should I pay good money for what is essentially the same game again? People probably won't be impressed by something similar to a decade old product, especially when they have played every other strategy game which has copied its style since then. It will just feel like a recycled experience.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Glad to hear it, this sounds to be exactly what I've been hoping SCII would look like!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Deofuta said:
Where are you guys
dochmbi said:

Well I just watch videos uploaded by people on youtube. Some of them actually give good commentary and teach me strategies I would have never thought of in the first place.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for the article, I totally agree. I have seen some good series go to Crapville because they tryied too hard to be innovative.

Mortal Kombat. 1,2 and 3 were good and all similar, but 4 was utter garbage because they had to radically change a working formula. The violent fatalities don't hold up the gameplay without a intuitive control scheme and balanced characters. The ones after 4 were not much better because they were so gimmicky and the combos were all about juggling. Mortal Kombat/DC was suprisingly refreshing because they went back to the basics.

And how many good 2D games became crap going to 3D?
Flashback was great, but then Fade To Black destroyed my love.
Sonic the Hedgehog?
Megaman X7 flirted with 3D and it sucked. X8 said screw 3D and it worked out pretty well.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm totally with you. Polish and shine is a what sequels are for, maybe a bit of tweak for battle systems and mechanics, but otherwise, we know the original and how good it was, and we want another--maybe a little extra, maybe a little better, but hey--we know what we're gonna get. Major innovations aren't for every title, and there's quite a few that have been worse off for innovation. Tweaks are good, but re-creation is not.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
John Funk said:
Funk, would you agree with me when I say that Starcraft 2 plays nothing like the first, while playing exactly the same?

I was a fairly competent player in the first game. But when I started playing the beta, I felt like I was playing a whole new game. I felt as though none of my strategies would apply anymore.

Did you feel the same way?