Japanese Gamers Divided on Subtitles vs. Dubs

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Japanese Gamers Divided on Subtitles vs. Dubs

If you were to ask a Japanese gamer if they preferred to play Western-made games with Japanese subtitles or dubbed audio, the results would be a surprisingly even split.

Want to know one of the only surefire ways to start a flame war online (other than posting Xbox 360 propaganda on a Sony fanboy forum or vice versa)? Go to any active anime fan community, and post a thread about how you like anime dubs. Within minutes, someone will invariably respond calling you an idiot who prefers an obviously inferior and bastardized product. And someone will respond to them, saying that some people just don't want to have to read all of the dialogue, or want to watch it while they're splitting their attention. Before you know it? Chaos has erupted.

Judging by the mini-controversy that erupted when it was announced that the English release of would not contain the Japanese audio [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1], that same sentiment is prevalent in the gaming community as well: Do we want our Japanese-made games to come with subtitles, or do we want all the dialogue fully voiced? While we can argue that all day, it's interesting to consider the reverse: What do the Japanese gamers prefer when Western-made games come out across the Pacific?

A poll [http://www.spike.co.jp/20100304/] by videogame publisher Spike attempted to answer that question, and the results? Well, the results were an almost even split: 49% preferred original audio with Japanese subtitles, while 47% favored full Japanese-language dubbing. So if you took a random Japanese gamer and asked him or her that same question, looks like the odds are even that it could go either way.

Clearly, this just means that more publishers should just include both subtitles and dubs on every localized game - with opinion so evenly divided, why not just let everyone choose to their preference?

If I want to play Uncharted 2 in Japanese [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJTqfz_MxaY], that should be my god-given right, dammit!

(Joystiq [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/22/subs_vs_dubs])

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
doesnt the ps3 version of FF13 have the japanese track?

wow Drake sounds really old from the vid.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
John Funk said:
Clearly, this just means that more publishers should just include both subtitles and dubs on every localized game - with opinion so evenly divided, why not just let everyone choose to their preference?
Because that takes effort and resources. I doubt game companies care enough to do both.

Also, what about us eastern European game fans? (can't just be me that's fallen in love with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Men Of War, Arma II and other eastern European offerings)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Pretty close results.

Dubbing a game without the lipsynching looks too funny to be considered serious, especially with a serious game. I prefer subtitles, only because I am a speed reader and I can switch focus between the action on screen and what I read them saying.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Sebenko said:
John Funk said:
Because that takes effort and resources. I doubt game companies care enough to do both.
I'm sure some game developers do.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sebenko said:
John Funk said:
Eternal Sonata did it, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam did it, probably a whole lot of other games did it too.

If those two games - one of which was an RPG with a crapload of dialogue - which aren't the super AAA titles can do it, I don't see why others can't as well.

I want a choice. I can't imagine playing a Gundam game in English, but equally I can't imagine playing an MGS game in Japanese. When in doubt, choice is preferable to give every consumer the best experience.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Have you ever seen the cutscenes for Star Ocean 4? Dear god what I wouldn't give to get that game with subtitles. I want to hear sound coming out of their mouths when they make motions to talk! It's far too weird otherwise.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It is a pain to keep up with the action while reading subtitles sometimes

AND, I cannot stand the screechy, high-pitched female japanese voices they find so attractive over there, so dubbing does have it's advantages

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Huh. I always find it interesting to look at things from different perspectives, and this is no exception. I usually prefer original audio with dubs when it comes to anime, but the question never crossed my mind as to what Japanese people like when experiencing Western media. I can't say I'm surprised, but I do find it interesting. On this note, I wonder what French people think of playing Ubisoft games, which often seem to be made for a primarily English-speaking audience, even though the company is French.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Amnestic said:
If those two games - one of which was an RPG with a crapload of dialogue - which aren't the super AAA titles can do it, I don't see why others can't as well.
You're assuming that all developers care about their games beyond "OURGHMUUUNEYZ! MONEY! MUNNEIEZ!". I doubt many do.

It's like saying that because any non-AAA title included Dedicated servers, there's no reason that others shouldn't include them, but MW2 stripped them out.

(Perhaps we're going to need another version of Godwin's law about ME2's dedicated server happy fun times. Bit early, but maybe.)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I prefer japanese in most forms, especially fighting games because while they might be saying the same thing, I don't understand it.

So when playing a game like DBZ Tenkaichi 3 I don't have to hear "TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS!! HAA!!!! TAKE THIS!!!" over and over and over till my ears bleed.

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
Ahh this is quite the funny topic. I personally have become so comfortable with subtitles, I demand them even for English movies that I am watching. It may be because I do not have the best hearing in the world, and I don't want miss anything said. Or it could be that I have come down with a terrible disease eating my brain from the inside.

I blame the anime I watch >.> <.< . The English voices in most of the anime I have seen have been terrible.

O well, I think it just comes down to what you prefer. The statistics you show just reinforce this fact.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sebenko said:
You're assuming that all developers care about their games beyond "OURGHMUUUNEYZ! MONEY! MUNNEIEZ!". I doubt many do.
I disagree. I like to think developers do care about their games and how well they're recieved. If you spent x months/years of your life slaving over a game, you'd probably hope it'd be well recieved and enjoyed by as many people as possible.

Sebenko said:
(Perhaps we're going to need another version of Godwin's law about ME2's dedicated server happy fun times. Bit early, but maybe.)
Mass Effect 2 doesn't have an online portion beyond the Cerberus Network, narb.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
English is usually used more by itself than a dub option considering it's the most widely spoken language in the world (Chinese is just one part of the world).

I think it would depend on how good the voice actors are. I prefer original voices if the game/movie is series and/or "Japanese" enough.

However there has been one case where I chose the BAD English dub, which was for Bladestorm since as terrible as they were, Japanese does NOT fit into Medieval Europe. Another is Godzila movies since they're low budget and cheesy already, dubs enhance this haha!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I don't blame them. I'm trying to imagine how Gears of war would sound in Japanese. (Ok Ok, that went too far).

Actually, I'm starting to prefer dubs over subs. The only exception is when the voice acting is really terrible.

Gimelbub

Oct 22, 2008
Even though I'm a speed-reader and can shift my attention easily, I prefer dubs. I usually find them easier on the ears. (Unless, of course, the voice acting is terrible.)

The only game dub I actually hated was Armored Core 4. Sega took out important dialog because it was hard to translate. Now a good portion of the fans have no idea why Josh was attacking Anatolia.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Well they re-did all the mouth movement animation for the english version, and I heard somewhere that this was the first time they ever did that (Maybe I'm wrong though). So the change in language would have to change this too, which might be a bit hard for developers to programme new animations in aswell as a different language.

thepopeofatheism

Jul 14, 2008
Ha!

So the Japanese are to Western media as Westerners are to Japanese media.

I wonder if a Japanese nerd has ever said something like, "I prefer to hear the pure sound of the original Western soundtrack. The voice actors are way superior to our own."

Har

As for my own opinion: If it weren't for dubbing we wouldn't have been exposed to the enormous talents of Steven Blum, Crispin Freeman, Johnny Young Bosch, Wendee Lee, Beau Billinslea...etc, etc...

Project .hack

Feb 11, 2009
I'd prefer games that come from a different country to have the option to change the language to the original language or the dubbed language it was sent to. Also the option to have the subtitles on and off for both language settings.