UK Gov (Slightly) Backs Away From Internet Disconnection Plan

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UK Gov (Slightly) Backs Away From Internet Disconnection Plan

UK government officials have backed away from a controversial anti-piracy plan that would disconnect file sharers from the internet - or have they?

When it came to light that a proposal in the UK's Digital Economy Bill would recommend disconnecting users who engaged in peer-to-peer file sharing from the internet, the internet responded as it is wont to do: with a petition [http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page22497]. However, unlike most petitions, this one - asking Prime Minister Gordon Brown to abandon the proposal set fort by Lord Mandelson - actually had some official heft to it.

More to the point, it appears to have been at least partially successful. According to the Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/feb/22/plans-cut-off-connections-illegal-filesharers], the government has distanced itself from the plans amidst concerns that they could hurt its popularity with the UK public. "We will not terminate the accounts of infringers - it is very hard to see how this could be deemed proportionate except in the most extreme - and therefore probably criminal - cases," said the official response.

[blockquote]"We added account suspension to the list of possible technical measures which might be considered if our measures to tackle unlawful file-sharing through notifications and legal action are not as successful as we hope. This is but one of a number of possible options on which we would seek advice from Ofcom - and others - if we decided to consider a third obligation on technical measures. However what is clear is that we would need a rapid and robust route of appeal available to all consumers if we decided technical measures were needed."[/blockquote]

The original petition pointed out that this plan to disconnect citizens from the internet was at direct odds with the government's stated goal of getting the entire populace online in order to reap the benefits of a broadband connection.

Though it appears that the government is backing away from the original proposal to terminate internet access for file sharers, digital rights advocacy organization Open Rights Group doesn't think that's actually the case [http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/has-the-government-changed-its-position-on-disconnection-no]. The only thing that's changed, says ORG, is that the government is now calling it "temporary suspension" rather than "disconnection":

"Please do not be confused by the government's semantics. BIS and DCMS decided in the summer that they would not refer to 'disconnecting' users, because that sounds harsh and over the top. 'Temporary account suspension' sounds much more reasonable."

Obviously, we can hope that the UK government is seeing the light, but the cynic's view does suggest that this is nothing more than swapping one word for another.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh, this thing is up and down in the commons like a Yo-Yo.

You should heard the story on a "Broadband Tax"

...now thats laughble.

I am just glad this is getting kicked where it belongs. To the curb.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
So; are we siding with the potential E-thieves, or the government's harsh attempt to disuade them?

Who knows; maybe if it becomes a government issue to deal with pirates we won't have as much DRM. That would be kind of an upside.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Is this the beginning of the end for the wild west era of the internet? Lets us pray not.

Also, doing that would be really stupid, am I right people?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
On the plus side, this government will most likely be out of power in a few months when they can't postpone an election any longer.

Not saying the other parties are massively better, but they all have the benefit of 100% less Peter Mandeleson.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Clearly Darth Mandelson hasn't got a clue on how impossible this would be, or how unfair.

I believe the proposition was to disconnect anyone with the slightest bit of illegal content downloaded through their connection; right, so what about all those people that sit outside people's houses and download stuff using their bandwidth? Or the next door neighbours who take advantage of someone's connection, as the owner isn't particularly clued up?

Its just stupid, and totally impractical. You can't police the 'net.

Doug said:
On the plus side, this government will most likely be out of power in a few months when they can't postpone an election any longer.

Not saying the other parties are massively better, but they all have the benefit of 100% less Peter Mandeleson.
Brown has just given praise to the UK games industry (look on the PC Gamer site), and I don't trust the Conservatives to not interfere with the ratings system, and to not restrict what gets given a rating. Brown also promised incentives for the UK industry in that article (I believe).

Still, no Mandelson would be hugely better.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
stonethered said:
So; are we siding with the potential E-thieves, or the government's harsh attempt to disuade them?

Who knows; maybe if it becomes a government issue to deal with pirates we won't have as much DRM. That would be kind of an upside.
potential? every one that has internet access and is old enough to appreciate/like music/movies/games pirates one of them every now and then...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'm sorry but a bill like this should have never even come up. When the government gets the say so of who gets to use the internet we have a problem. Its a terrifying thing when you think about it. Governments around the world are starting to realize that the internet is a breeding ground for free thinking and want to put an end to it. The dumber you keep your citizens the less likely they are to oppose human right violating legislation like this. Were I a UK citizen I'd have rallied up an angry mob already and be picketing in front of parliament on a weekly basis to show my disdain for this.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
I love the fact that our politicians sound like characters from Star Wars.
Lord Mandelson...

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
Sounds like Britain is finally living up to its totalitarian style of government we have seen and read about in the sci-fi genre.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Woodsey said:
Doug said:

Brown has just given praise to the UK games industry (look on the PC Gamer site), and I don't trust the Conservatives to not interfere with the ratings system, and to not restrict what gets given a rating. Brown also promised incentives for the UK industry in that article (I believe).

Still, no Mandelson would be hugely better.
Agreed. As I said, no Mandelson - I can pretty much forgive alot to parties that don't feature the slimy hell demon.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Can't wait to hear how this will play in Congress...

Oy vey. It succeeds and you can practically hear the death knell of people caring about copyright. Now, I'm not totally extremist with this. But think about it. What would happen if Verizon or SBC actually cut OFF people for their three strikes? They lose revenue. These people will still need internet connection. They complain to the FTC. FTC says "Them's the rules, suck eggs on that!" These people start underground networks OR they begin to change their own behaviors accordingly.

But the government will lose in the end as well as the ones that want to rule on these laws. It'll be interesting to see how the dice rolls.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
To be honest I prefer the witch hunt over total castration.

But thats just me... :3

EDIT: Is it me or does anyone think that Cameron kind of resembles the Vault Boy.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
The real issue here for me isn't the 'punishment of criminals' as some seem to think these bills involve... no, criminals are already punished under current laws. More laws to punish them further are redundant at best. Like most bad laws throughout history they need a escape goat, a excuse, and that faceless (but usually a minority) 'criminal' is always the most used stick they have to get the populous so scared the hand over something for the illusion of safety when there really wasn't a threat to begin with.

No, if you look at these bills you can be 'temporary suspended' for just the accusation of having done something illegal! No proof required, just someone in the position of authority decides 'your bad' and so you get no online privileges. As the Internet is now the biggest tool for political descenders out there, I was one, it is SOOOO easy to see this bill being used to silence those the government disagrees with but who have not actually done anything illegal to warrant punishment.

Hell even if this was one of the tiny, tiny, percentage where there was a issue (it isn't, file sharing isn't that big of a deal) one has to ask: How long till it is abused by corrupt government officials?

No, this is a bad law, put in place to 'solve' a problem that doesn't exist to any great extent, won't actually do anything to address said non-problem and is prone to so many massive breaches and abuses one has to wonder if that was the original intention....

Added oh yes: Please take note that the government still refuses to say for how long you will be 'temporarily suspended.' I guess a decade can still be considered temporarily if you consider the age of the universe. Past cases where this has been raised in similar, or not so similar, bills it has come to light that 'temporarily' really means 'until we say otherwise.' Aka, indefinably.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Well, piracy can't be stopped anyways so why bother? There are lots of examples we can look at which have failed miserably or made things even worse.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
The main issue is how the government would determine what is illegal. Just because a person is downloading it doesn't mean they haven't already paid for it. I have downloaded several albums I have ordered online, but am too impatient to wait for it to ship, which makes it completely legit.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
They say this is an anti-piracy law, but the interesting thing is it won't actually stop pirates. It it will do it punish little jonney (and his family which gets into an ebven more interesting legalarea) for downloading a couple of illigal songs. The pirates that are the biggest problem will just find ways around it in around 5 seconds (or less) I can think of 2 easy ones and I know almost nothing about networks.

The problem with the combat of online piracy is that for every 1 person industry or government has trying to prevent it, there are 10 trying to break it and the guys on the outside are probably just as smart if not smarter (or the same people) as those on the inside.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
If they try to restrict the internet, im stabbing Gordon Brown with a fork.

And David Cameron, because hes a smarmy dick.