Study Finds Too Much Gaming Is, and Is Not, Bad For Kids

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Study Finds Too Much Gaming Is, and Is Not, Bad For Kids

A new study has found that young boys who spent a lot of time playing videogames suffer from lower reading and writing scores than their non-gamer peers, yet ultimately suggests that games "aren't inherently harmful."

Conducted by Robert Weis and Brittany Cerankosky of Denison University [http://www.denison.edu/], the study was simplicity itself: Hand out PlayStation 2 consoles to a bunch of boys, then stand back and see what happens. More specifically, 64 boys, between six and nine years old, were recruited for the study, half of whom were given PS2 systems and three "all-ages" games, while the rest remained console free. Parents were told that the study was designed to examine their development and that the games were just an incentive for taking part.

Four months later, when the researchers returned to examine the results, they discovered that the boys who had been given the consoles showed "significantly lower reading and writing scores" than those who had not. While the non-gamers had grown more skilled at reading, writing and spelling, the boys with consoles either remained flat or actually became slightly worse. Yet the games had no apparent impact on mathematical skills, attention spans, ability to concentrate and adapt or on their behavior at home.

The problem, it turns out, isn't the games, it's the amount of time kids spent playing them rather than doing other things. Diaries kept by parents revealed that the boys who had been given consoles spent an average of 40 minutes a day on them and 18 minutes of after-school studying; in comparison, the control group spent an average of only nine minutes a day gaming (on friends' systems) and 32 minutes a day on studies. The link between games and reading skills disappeared once that work/play imbalance was accounted for; math skills remained unaffected because, while reading for entertainment isn't all that unusual, nobody's going to break out the textbook and do long division problems for fun.

"Our findings suggest that video-game ownership may impair academic achievement for some boys in a manner that has real-world significance," the researchers concluded.

But it's not the games themselves that are the problem, according to said U.K.-based science writer Ed Yong. "These results suggest that despite some people's inclination to fear new technology, video games aren't inherently harmful in themselves," he wrote on his blog [http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2010/02/trial_finds_that_video_games_hamper_reading_and_writing_skil.php]. "Their danger lies in their ability to shift the balance between work and play."

So, to recap: Too much videogaming, like too much television or too much junk food, isn't good for kids and parents need to keep a lid on it. That may sound like simple common sense, but it's the kind of obvious conclusion that seems to escape a lot of people.

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodrigofavera/2637452834/])

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Strange, I game a lot more than that (three hours a day at least) and my reading and writing skills are above and beyond most people I know who don't play video games.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
That seems more or less true but even if I didn't have video games I doubt I'd study. So at least they don't have negative impact on [i/]me[/i].

Apr 28, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
That seems more or less true but even if I didn't have video games I doubt I'd study. So at least they don't have negative impact n [i/]me[/i].
Yeah, I'll go with what he said. I personally never studied because it was so damn boring, and I still did fine in school.
I played games a lot, but my grades still stayed fine, so I guess I'm just awsome :D

Andy Chalk said:
So, to recap: Too much videogaming, like too much television or too much junk food, isn't good for kids and parents need to keep a lid on it. That may sound like simple common sense, but it's the kind of obvious conclusion that seems to escape a lot of people.
So, so true.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Strange I game a lot more than that (three hours a day at least) and my reading and writing skills are above and beyond most people I know who don't play video games.
Same.

Whilst I'm glad that they've said that other than that there doesn't seem to be any other negatives, I'm not convinced about this reading/writing thing.

I've heard of plenty of people who's reading skills have been improved by playing games. More people than appeared in that study, at any rate.

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
Well in general they fairly much did'nt say anything really new. Too much of anything is bad for you, but atleast they are pulling the "all videogames are bad," "videogames lower the intelligence of our youth," "videogames creates murderers" thing into new light, in a way. but it's still gonna be a long time untill perople stop blaming videogames for every little thing.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Strange I game a lot more than that (three hours a day at least) and my reading and writing skills are above and beyond most people I know who don't play video games.
Same here, I passed with one of the highest scores in my English AP class.
And conversely I'm terrible at math.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
I game for a significant amount of days in my free time and don't have any problems. But then - I may have answered my own dilemma; I put work and friends before gaming, so I enjoy the best of both worlds.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
nobody's going to break out the textbook and do long division problems for fun.
I DO!
Okay, I only do that when the only option left is to go rob a bank or something...

LeonLethality said:
My thoughts too... Maybe we're just strange. o_O

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
an official study about video games states that not studying affects grades...
imagine that.
videogames could have been replaced with anything in that study and it would have got the same results.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I'm so glad that we have lots of cash going towards proving the completely obvious. What would we do without science.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Any thing in excessive amount is harmful be it games, food T.V ect.

Redundant study is redundant.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Amen.

But I can already feel the snipping of words from the offices of Mssrs. Atkinson and Thompson, "See, we told you that games were bad for kids!"

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Once against scientists waste crap tons of money working out things most rational (i.e not idiots) people knew years ago.

GameBullet

May 25, 2009
what this fails to tell us is what the kids scores were before the video games were handed to them.what if the kids were not good at reading before hand.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Shit...my capabilities in English are above most of the people I know, even though I'm in College, and should therefore have decent competition, but after reading this article, it makes me feel like a bad person for wanting to play TF2 instead of breaking out the LOTR. In addition, it probably doesn't help that I'm taking a sick day...I feel lazy.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
That study just points out a problem that was already pretty obvious, imho.