DSi XL Stomps on North America March 28

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
DSi XL Stomps on North America March 28

North America has less than a month to prepare for Nintendo's large-and-in-charge second version of the DSi.

The massive surge of information Nintendo released today includes such goodies as a release date for Metroid: Other M [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98616-Soar-Into-Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-on-May-23rd], as well as the pricing and release information for the Nintendo DSi XL in North America. This freakishly large version of the DSi will hit retailers on March 28, for the low, low price of $189.99.

Which is not really a low price at all, and while somewhat affordable, feels right on the edge of what Nintendo could have reasonably charged for the product. The DSi XL is a mutant of a system, with screens 93% larger than the DS Lite that also have a wider viewing angle, supposedly so the entire family can gather around to watch you level up your Jirachi [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98582-Super-Rare-Wish-Granting-Pokemon-Available-in-Stores-Soon]. To go along with the gargantuan screens is the DSi XL's much bigger stylus which is basically like a fountain pen.

A few applications come pre-loaded on the DSi XL, including Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math, Photo Clock, and Flipnote Studio. As with the DSi, the DSi XL will have a built-in web browser.

The system will launch in two colors: [Ron] Burgundy and Bronze. The DSi XL launched in Japan under the name DSi LL in three colors: Wine Red, Natural White, and Dark Brown. While Wine Red could easily be called Burgundy, Bronze sounds like a new color altogether. Maybe it'll be shiny?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
The title made me think of two things, Godzilla and nintendo as a giant pissing on Microsoft and saying this, "AHAHAHAHAAHA What's the matter Microsoft? Why don't you enter the hand held market, or are you too soft?"

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ya know I might be tempted to pick up a handheld one of these days. You know when they stop putting out a new version every other month.

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
I was 'lucky' enough to be chosen by a Nintendo representive in a mini-demonstration at my local Gamestation to preview it, and my lasting comment to the crowd and rep was, "y'know this new DS is the exact same size as my 2000 model PSOne I have at home!"

It is giant compared to the other DS models, but frankly Nintendo should have just stuck with either slimming the model or adding extra features; the screen is fine s it is. Also 'wine' is a horrible colour.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
hehe, well, soon you can have the WS version! Go go go! lol

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Azmael Silverlance said:
So is this the DSi 2? for which nintendo gave away the DEV kits couple of days ago?
Nope, that's a completely new system... supposedly. This was revealed already, just no info on price or release until now.

Green Tentacle

Apr 9, 2009
I find it ironic how Satoru Iwata says that the iPad is just the IPhone except with a few new features.

Does Iwata even look at his products?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
DSLite is good enough for me, I don't need these 18 other DS iterations with their increasingly useless features stacked ontop of on another.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
If i were to decide i am to buy a handheld gaming device i would be mighty confused as to which one i should get. Even if i limited myself to a Nintendo. Hmm.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I actually sort of want this, if only because my colossal hands block enough of my DS' screen to annoy me, but it's not worth the price to me. Especially knowing we're only six months away from whatever the new DSi XL product is.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I thought the point of the hand-held games were to be portable? That mammoth wouldn't even fit in my pocket and to me that ruins the point.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
If Nintendo thinks they can make money on this, good for them. GOOOOO Capitalism! I'm still waiting for the DS that doesn't have screens, but that you plug into your TV.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee i'd buy it but i hate the color choices , why no black , red and white and maybe blue ?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Rainboq said:
The title made me think of two things, Godzilla and nintendo as a giant pissing on Microsoft and saying this, "AHAHAHAHAAHA What's the matter Microsoft? Why don't you enter the hand held market, or are you too soft?"
Kind of curious why you would get that kind of image considering MS has enough on its plate by being a huge hand in the PC market. The same reason Nintendo doesn't enter the PC market is why MS isn't in the handheld market, they've both tapped into a market that they are well established in and are going to continue in that vein as long as it keeps producing ridiculous sums of money.
Also with this silly size of a handheld I might as well just get one of those mini laptops, I'd get more function out of it for the bit more money that I'd have to spend on it.