Greed Corp Offers Turn-Based Strategy Game On XBLA & PSN

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Greed Corp Offers Turn-Based Strategy Game On XBLA & PSN

Evoking games like Catan and Civilization, W!Games has released a turn-based strategy game called Greed Corp set in the steampunk world of Mistbound.

Turn-based strategy was supplanted in the 90s by its real-time brother as the premiere strategy genre, but it has seen a resurgence in recent years. The Dutch company Greed Corp [http://www.wgames.biz/], you can choose to be one of four factions which each symbolize a facet of the economy: The Empire, The Cartel, The Pirates, The Freemen. You gain resources by using harvesters, but harvest the land too much and the very earth you stand on can crumble away into the void, taking every unit along with it. Greed Corp is out now on XBLA for 800 points or on the PSN tomorrow for $9.99. W!Games plans a PC version but there are no details given on timing except "Coming Soon!"

The gameplay videos have a distinct aesthetic: one part Pixar, one part silent film, one part steampunk or at least retro-future. The jazzy music alone, while almost certainly used because it was in the public domain, lends a light-hearted feel to the game.

The use of collapsing tiles both as a harvesting mechanic and an offensive strategy (knock down your enemy's land before he does it to you) is refreshing, and it seems like a game I'd love to play.

The message of corporate greed in search of resources set against the fragility of our planet isn't too heavy-handed, but it may ruffle a few anti-global-warming folks. It seems like a good idea to just present the ideas, without ever making a moral judgement on whether it is good or bad.

On the other hand, just playing a game called Greed Corp implies that you are, well, at least a little stingy.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I thought the demo was okay...but my 800 points were better spent on Winterbottom from last week.

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
I bought this today, 800 MP is a steal. It's very deep for a seemingly simple gameplay mechanic.

Plus, seeing pillars of land collapse with the little mechs and buildings toppling never gets old :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Trailer looked good enough to get me to queue up the demo when I wasn't sure if I was even interested before. I may still not like it, but at least it got me interested in something I might otherwise pass one.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Catan tabletop is the shit. I'll be checking out this demo tomorrow. I suspect I might finally spend that 20 PSN bucks I have.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Great thing they made it a console exclusive, cause that's totally where the strategy gaming audience is at... NOT!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Looks sweet! I'll keep an eye out for it in the European shop. I love me some turn-based; Highly looking forward to Civ Network and Civ V, so this may just sate my TBS desires until they're out.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Its not that great. I love Catan and turn based strategy like advanced wars, but i didn't like this game. You only have one unit, one artillery building and one troop transport. Its not in-depth enough

Pipoo de Kloon

Feb 25, 2010
Hi There, here some noise of one of the Greed Corp developers.
Thnx for your kind words about our first Mistbound release Greed Corp.

Especially this phrase put a big smile on my face which will be hard to remove in the next days:
"The jazzy music alone, while almost certainly used because it was in the public domain, lends a light-hearted feel to the game."

A couple of months ago we, myself & a pack of Greed Corp musicians, recorded 6 Greed Corp music tracks which I composed specific for Greed Corp.
So no "stock-music" guys. =)
Anyway, hope that you out there have lots of fun playing (& listening to) Greed Corp!

See ya,
Marcel du Long.
Creative director W!Games.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Give me a PC version. Looks like a lot of fun. Intriguing little concept. The idea I got from it implies that it could lend itself to a lot of strategy though... So, I want to play it. Give me a demo, then I may buy the full game. For PC.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm liking the look of this, and may switch my XBox back on to get it!

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Greed Corp!? HAH That was my clan name in Battelfield: Vietnam! I had like... 4 members and my own forum! And now we're getting a game? I feel special!