Question of the Day, March 5, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, March 5, 2010

That weird genie with gaming-related powers is back, and is going to make you remove one of the following from gaming forever. Which do you pick?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I myself would remove Mahou Magic.
You can substitute technology in its place.
Lightning? Check.
Fire-Ball? Check.
Freeze? Check.
yeah, I think Magic could be removed/replaced easily.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
I'd rather have a complete game that I could play on my own then half a game to share with others.

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
Multiplayer, then Developers would have to make large games that can stand alone on singleplayer content. I like guns too much, I also like Magic. And then you put 'em together and you get BioShock which gives me a happy face :) On the other hand, without Multiplayer you would lose a lot of a games charm. Like L4D and Call of Duty MW2

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
It was a hard choice between Multiplayer and Guns, but in the end I had to choose Guns.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I'd remove guns, to force developers to be more creative. Maybe the next Call of Duty could take place near the dawn of man, then people would be complaining about the spear class.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Argh, getting rid of multiplayer or magic would ruin some of my favorite games so I would say guns. [sub]but then I can't play GunZ...[/sub]

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Multiplayer. I love shooters, so no way I could go without guns. Magic is good in stuff like BioShock and Final Fantasy. Multiplayer I could really live without...

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Well, guns aren't an alternative for me. Because if we wouldn't have guns, what would the multiplayers consist of? Swords & Sandals?

I couldn't remove magics either, because they're that thing that allowed me to own so many players in WoW when I played it. It's a long-lost friend of mine.

So I had to go with multiplayer, because we sure as hell can live without hearing some whiny 11 year old voice telling us to fuck of when it should be the exact opposite. Also, playing against "do-it-for-a-living" players.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Multiplayer.
Outside of certain games (generally those built for multiplayer - L4D, TF2, just to name a few), it's a feature I don't use. I've often had trouble setting multiplayer games up (Dawn of War caused me a lot of issues) or I've just not really considered using that option.
Plus I prefer to play by myself :D

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Likely multiplayer.

Magic has too much stuff going for it. Elemental spells, mind control, healing, summoning, puzzle solving, and countless other uses.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
If I absolutely had to?

Easy: Guns. Getting rid of guns would make for the least radical change in the way games work.

Multiplayer is irreplaceable. Sure, singleplayer games are great too, but to remove multiplayer completely would remove a huge segment of gaming.

Magic is a very broad concept. Sure, it can be replaced with sufficiently advanced technology, but magic is a very useful tool that can be used in a lot of ways. Sometimes this makes for lazy storytelling ("it's magic, we don't have to explain it"), but it opens up so many possibilities that it'd be a waste to get rid of it.

Guns, however, are something very narrow. They're one specific type of ranged weapon. They can easily be replaced with all kinds of things, including magic. I can't think of a single game that wouldn't work if you replaced guns with, I dunno, magic crossbows or something. Sure, some settings (like most 'realistic' modern combat settings) would be very weird without guns, but mechanics-wise nothing would have to change.

I honestly cannot imagine why multiplayer is winning the poll (so far). Is the stereotype true that most gamers are lonely geeks who fear interaction with others? IMO, there are no gaming-related things that are more fun than playing a multiplayer game with some friends.

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
multi player online not in the same room as if someone's brave enough to call me dick from across the sea i want them to call me a dick to my face.

Rory

Mar 4, 2009
Easy, multiplayer. I don't like it and don't play any multiplayer games.

axle 19

Bearer of the Necronomicon
Aug 2, 2008
That is a real difficult choice. Are we talking just from certain types of games or as a whole? This answer could kill whole genres.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Certainly multiplayer, Magic & Guns are too epic and awesome to lose!