id Software Looks Back on QTest

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
id Software Looks Back on QTest

Yesterday was the 14th anniversary of the release of QTest and to mark the occasion, John Carmack, Tim Willits and a few others shared a few memories about what it was like to unleash one of the most revolutionary games of all time.

When someone mentioned to me that it was the 14th anniversary of Quake [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake#Pre-release_and_QTest] series as I have, but it more understandably may not ring a bell with non-FPS fans or, more likely, gamers who may not be much older than QTest itself.

A refresher, then: QTest was a multiplayer tech demo for Quake, released by id Software [http://www.idsoftware.com] on February 24, 1996. No single-player component was included and some elements were changed for the final release, but QTest servers started going online immediately following its release and it was the first step in what would ultimately become one of the most significant transformations in the history of the industry.

"When the first person got it, there was a great clamor for reports about what it looked like. Unfortunately, one of the first things reported was, 'There is a turtle in the corner of the screen'," id co-founder John Carmack explained. "I had a check in the code to draw that icon as a sign that you were running at 10 frames a second or less, so you should reduce quality settings to get a more playable experience. Quake was one of the first PC apps where floating point performance was a critical factor, which meant that Intel's Pentium processor had a huge lead over the competing AMD and Cyrix processors of the time, which had FPUs that were more similar to the 486. A lot of systems weren't really up to it."

Tim Willits, id's creative director, claimed that he doesn't have any good stories about the release of QTest because he was too nervous about it to enjoy the moment. "I did like kicking everyone's ass online in Quake," he added, "before I was quickly bypassed in skill by any self-respecting Quake player."

For some of the newer additions to the id team, QTest was the inspiration that drew them into the industry. Pat Duffy, id's lead artist, described how a college friend introduced him to the game by talking about the network code and other technology behind the game. But he was interested in something else. "I just couldn't believe how big a visual leap had been made from Doom [http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom-final/] (and everything else out there). While [his friend] began to dig deeper into what id was doing I kept looking at the game, walking around, shooting the walls, and being amazed by the lighting, art, and 3d rendering," he said. "I knew right then that this is what I needed to do with my life."

Sadly, I didn't have much experience with QTest. As a small-town boy trapped in a dial-up world, my play options would have been severely restricted even if I had managed to score a copy somewhere and I was still pretty busy with Doom at that point anyway. Yeah, my story sucks. Got a better one? Let's reminisce about the good old days!

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/02/24/the-day-quake-shook-the-gaming-world-carmack-et-al-share-their-qtest-memories/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bethesdablog+%28Bethesda+Blog%29]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I remember Reading about this in a journal before. Birth of multiplayer or something like that.

Makes me feel old but glad we don't forget classics!

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Ah memories. I never played (or even heard of) QTest, but I played the hell out of Quake as a chuldren and, boy was it awesome. I never actually got anywhere though.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
It's Quake Lives one year anniversary as well.

I remember my granddad having QTest but I never actually played it, really wish I had though.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
D4zZ said:
It's Quake Lives one year anniversary as well.

I remember my granddad having QTest but I never actually played it, really wish I had though.
That just reminds us how old some of us are.....

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I don't have any good stories, either, because I never really spent much time with it. I played Wolf3D and Doom and had fun, and then I played the hell out of Bungie's Marathon games and had even more fun, but I never really liked the Quake games until Q3, and none of my friends really got into it until then, either. I do remember my friends and I playing Q3Test to death as soon as it went up, though. All two maps of it. Heh.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
For as revolutionary a 3d game engine QTest was, I remember not being all that impressed at the time. It looked a muddy version of Doom with rough polygons instead of beautiful sprites. As a naive gamer, it didn't seem all that amazing to me as the game didn't play any differently than Doom. Though, I do remember finding it very cool that Trent Reznor was involved with the sound.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
WHAT?!?!!? DOOM 3's cinamagicness is not the best thing evera?!?!?!!?(note I think Doom 3 is a engine test/demo and not a game).

Quake was a much better demo/test it was a better game than D3 and Q4, I didnt care much for the theme but it was not bad,loved the zombies tho, my fav game of the time give or take a year or 2 is Blood, duke was good but blood was awesome!

The N64 and turok was the best looking FPS for its time(if I recall correctly) but ti did not take long for the PC to get on top of the graphic wars a shame consoles took over and boxed and limited content is the way of things now....

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
D4zZ said:
I remember my granddad having QTest
Is that a joke?

I didn't get QTest but I still have my original copy of Quake, ordered over the telephone directly from id Software. And yes, it is interesting how it seemed kind of unimpressive at the time (at least for a hardcore Doom freak like me) but ended up ushering in such a sea-change for gaming.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
quake was not just a game.
even today games like medal of honor, half-life 2, rage, modern warfare 2 uses codes from quake engine.

everytime a console like this this

i remember my quake 3 days.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
D4zZ said:
I remember my granddad having QTest
Is that a joke?
Nope, he was the one who got me interested in gaming. He wasn't overly into it but his colleges were (he worked on some sort of network), brought me home Prince of Persia and Commander Keen.
Never tried QTest because I was too content with Wolf3d/Doom, can't remember my thinking, I was really young.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I'm glad to see the occasion marked. Surely the video game world wouldn't be the same without this development. I didn't get a computer that could run quake until two years later, let alone a workable network connection, so no stories here either.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I was working at a software testing lab when QTest came out. We spent the next full month convincing our managers that QTest was actually a contract. We spent the following full month planning the late-night LAN parties. The third month was spent largely looking for work, as half of us had been fired.

Not exactly gospel truth, but closer to reality than you might think, at first.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I do not remember QTest's original release, unfortunately I didn't try it at the time. I only got into Quake two years later with Quake 2.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
I was playing Duke Nukem 3D at that time.
I loved Duke Nukem 3D so much I never felt much attraction to Quake, which just looked brown and boring to me.
On hindsight I feel a bit sorry about not at least getting the original Quake.
I suppose I still can, on Steam.

Rane2k

Aug 21, 2009
Happy Birthday Quake!

Didn´t play QTest, but tons and tons of coop Quake with my father.
At first I couldn´t really appreciate the graphical improvement over DooM, but once we got to the more vertical levels, in episode 2 and 3, I realised that this was "real" 3D, instead of the 2.5D of DooM and Duke3D.
Truely a milestone in FPS history.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Started with Quake 2. I didn`t know that a Qtest ever existed. Oh well, you learn something new every day right?

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Never aware Qtest existed myself either. I however do remember buying the Quake shareware, and then being extremely pissed because it needed a floating point processor. Damn 486. It was a glorious day when we got our new pentium computer though, went out and bought Quake first thing. I always thought it was a fun game, but it wasn't until I used Worldcraft for the first time that I realized how far advanced it was above Doom. Three words: Room over room. I still think Doom is the better game though.