God of War III Will Be Loadless, Has Trophies Detailed

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
God of War III Will Be Loadless, Has Trophies Detailed

Worried that God of War III [http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968473&sr=1-1]'s lack of PS3 install means that it'll suffer from horrendous load times? If Sony Santa Monica is to be believed, it won't have any. But it will have PSN Trophies, naturally.

When we reported that God of War III would forego the traditional PS3 hard drive installation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98554-Sony-No-PS3-Install-for-God-of-War-III], many of the responses seemed to be along the lines of "cool, but does this mean that we'll have tons of load times instead?"

According to Sony Santa Monica technical mastermind via Twitter [http://twitter.com/ChristerEricson]:

"And since people asked: #GoW3 has seamless loading. No install, followed by 10+ hours of play uninterrupted by load screens!"

So, there won't be an installation, there won't be (obvious) load screens - most likely they'll just run in the background like the recent Darksiders - so what's the catch? This is all sounding a bit too good to be true: A game looks great, a game lacks any kind of installation other than for save games, and a game doesn't have any load times?

You're screwing with me, Sony Santa Monica. I bet I'm going to get GoW3 and start playing, and Kratos is going to pop out of the machine and kick me in the face, isn't he?

Oh, and in case you were curious about potential PSN Trophies, TheSixthAxis [http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/02/25/god-of-war-iii-trophies/] has the list:

Bronze

[blockquote] * Mr. Hand
Discover the secret 'Hades Arm' room
* Hit Man
Perform a 1000-hit combo
* Rip One!
Rip apart 1 Olympus Sentry
* Nice Tan
Blind 100 enemies with the Head of Helios
* Obedience School
Deliver 50 kicks to Hounds
* It's getting hot in here...
Burn 100 enemies with the Bow of Apollo
* Souled Out
Summon every Soul with the Claws of Hades
* Bloody Hell
Cover Kratos in 500 buckets of blood by killing the enemies
* No Guts, No Glory
Gut 3 Centaur Generals
* Hitting Your Stride
Upgrade any weapon to the next level[/blockquote]

Silver

[blockquote] * Eye Candy
Collect all of the Gorgon Eyes
* Feather Plucker
Collect all of the Phoenix Feathers
* Are You Horny to Win?
Collect all of the Minotaur Horns
* Maxed Out!
Completely upgrade all weapons
[/blockquote]

Gold

[blockquote] * Vengeance Complete
Beat the game
* Up to the Challenge
Beat the Challenge of Olympus
* Unhuman
Beat Titan Mode
* Priceless
Collect all of the 'Godly Possessions'[/blockquote]

There are also 18 secret trophies, sixteen of which are story-related and the other two of which are ... something.

God of War III is out this March.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
WOW

and to think i refused to pay to get the first two at release, i recently bought the god of war collection and i wasnt dissapointed, its quite a robust game to be out there, so naturally i am thinking on getting this, it looks good (from the demo it does!)

Calatar

May 13, 2009
I guess Blu-Ray has some impressive read speeds, wiki-ed it and PS3 has a 2x Blu-Ray slot, which can read at 9MBytes/sec (don't know what its access time is though). I am still suspicious that "no loading screen" is the same thing as "long elevator rides" or some similar mechanic, but we'll see. Dividing 40GB over 10 hours becomes 4GB/hour=1.1MBytes/second though, assuming it all needs to be read at some point. Technically feasible, but still, that drive will need to be reading 13% of the time at its max speed.
The PS3 only seems to have 256MB of memory, albeit insanely fast memory... that's a lot of swapping still.
I am dubious.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Man, if ever there was a killer app for the PS3, it's this thing.

Shame I can't afford one because this looks sweeter than a sugarcane in a sherbert heap.

[sub]apologies for bad similies, it's late[/sub]

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Calatar said:
I guess Blu-Ray has some impressive read speeds, wiki-ed it and PS3 has a 2x Blu-Ray slot, which can read at 9MBytes/sec (don't know what its access time is though). I am still suspicious that "no loading screen" is the same thing as "long elevator rides" or some similar mechanic, but we'll see. Dividing 40GB over 10 hours becomes 4GB/hour=1.1MBytes/second though, assuming it all needs to be read at some point. Technically feasible, but still, that drive will need to be reading 13% of the time at its max speed.
The PS3 only seems to have 256MB of memory, albeit insanely fast memory... that's a lot of swapping still.
I am dubious.
OH GODDAMMIT!, i owe a friend a fiver ;_;,

and...why do you care?, the elevator rides in the GoW series, have never been.. "rider-friendly". so...it's about time i actually bought a game in the series myself..>_>

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
ignore this, >_>, it didn't let me see my last post, mods, delete as you see fit

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Meh, I'm boycotting this game because of
RIP Laser Cat...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...Minotaur Horns? Whooooaaaa...What are those gonna be for? And while we could already confirm Helios, now we can confirm Apollo and Hades--but aren't Hades' claw things just like Kratos' blades? And that getting a 1000 hit combo is a bronze medal just speaks to how much gore and carnage they've put in.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just played the demo.

The visuals are fucking amazing and from what I've heard the final game will look even better.

*huff* Damn, I'm...I'm sounding like a fanboy here. I need to lie down.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
VanityGirl said:
Hopefully my PS3 will be fixed by then.
*goes and cries over her PS3*
it's ok...i know the pain..the memories..*hugs new PS3 and whispers sweet nothing to her*

Calatar

May 13, 2009
The Disk Thrower said:
Calatar said:
I am dubious.

and...why do you care?, the elevator rides in the GoW series, have never been.. "rider-friendly". so...it's about time i actually bought a game in the series myself..>_>
I don't really care, I was just wondering whether "loadless" is just hype, or whether it was possible. And it is possible but I am still skeptical.
Not like loadtimes or elevator rides have prevented me from enjoying Mass Effect. Only games I found annoying due to load times were NWN2 (up to 5 minute load times on old computer) and Dragon Age (memory leak bug caused loadtimes in Orzammar to go past 10 minutes). Console games in general have never bugged me with loading.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Beat Titan Mode....
Damn it, I guess I'm not gettin the platinum for this one.
I beat God Mode in game one, and have only this to say: I'm game! BRING IT ON!

Now, do I really have to wait until March to get this awesome looking game?

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
Calatar said:
The Disk Thrower said:
Calatar said:
I am dubious.

I don't really care, I was just wondering whether "loadless" is just hype, or whether it was possible. And it is possible but I am still skeptical.
Not like loadtimes or elevator rides have prevented me from enjoying Mass Effect. Only games I found annoying due to load times were NWN2 (up to 5 minute load times on old computer) and Dragon Age (memory leak bug caused loadtimes in Orzammar to go past 10 minutes).

10..minutes!?

you have more patience than i....i count anything past 5 minutes a crash in needing of restartation (yes, i just made a new word -.-") and, here's hoping they pull another miracle off like they did with the PS2, showing it's swansong for the world to see

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Now, do I really have to wait until March to get this awesome looking game?
Patience, my pet. Patience.

btw. That Obedience School Trophy sounds like music to my ears. If there was one thing I absolutely loved doing GoW2, it was drop kicking those frickin' dogs.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This is going to be the first game I play on my new PS3 (right now just have a couple of Blu-Ray's) so this game is going to set the bar for me. I have high expectations and Sony better not disappoint.

That damn Ultimate Edition better be worth it too!