I Ain't Afraid Of No Ghostbusters Intro Movie

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I Ain't Afraid Of No Ghostbusters Intro Movie

To quote Ray Parker, Jr.: "Bustin' makes me feel good" (Ghostbustin', to be precise.) So does the newly-unveiled intro movie to the upcoming Ghostbusters videogame.

[gametrailers=48374]

We knew the original writers were doing the script [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90351-More-Ghostbusters-Details-Revealed-UPDATE]. But somehow, it isn't until I saw this intro movie that it really hit me: This game has the Ghostbusters spirit (no pun intended) in spades.

Maybe it's the uncomfortable and awkward in-game commercial advertising the counter-paranormal services. Maybe it's the off-screen terror in the museum (and the nice little preview in the closed circuit monitors). Maybe it's the way that the familiar theme song strikes up over the recognizable wails of Ecto-1(B)'s siren. Maybe it's the way that Winston isn't in the intro at all, but it doesn't get more Ghostbusters than this.

I know I shouldn't be letting myself get excited. It's a movie game, and movie games are always bad (unless Vin Diesel is involved [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5998-Review-The-Chronicles-of-Riddick-Assault-on-Dark-Athena]). But honestly, part of me doesn't care - if the rest of the game is going to be the Ghostbusters III that we've been waiting for for years, I'm willing to put up with mediocre - even sub-par - gameplay for it.

June can't get here soon enough.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/24/were-ready-to-believe-this-ghostbusters-intro-movie/])

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
If I'm allowed to say it, that looks very good. I'm not excited, but far more interested than before.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
I want it, I want it, I want it, me me me me me me!!!!!
Dear gods, with this and the new Batman game coming out, the end of the world must be upon us. And it will be GLORIOUS!

Can't wait to kick Stay-Puft's candy butt all over the Big Apple.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Seriously, this is gonna be great.

(The reason Zeddmore isn't in the intro is that he hadn't been hired by that point.) :)
Afraid not, my friend. This takes place in 1991. The Ghostbusters fought Gozer in 1986. Winston Zeddmore's been part of the Ghostbusters for six years!

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Ah, that takes me back, the Ghostbuster theme specifically :).

Seriously hoping this will be a good game here!

Martymer

Mar 17, 2009
I'm concerned about the main character in this game. A fifth Ghostbuster... That doesn't talk (from what I understand)... And that in all likelyhood will be the real hero, while the other guys just get in his way like NPC followers always do. Still, if anyone could write a story that gets this to make sense -- or that understands it's impossible, goes "fuck it", and packs the game with self-irony -- it's probably Aykroyd and Ramis. So I'm gonna say I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

(The reason Zeddmore isn't in the intro is that he hadn't been hired by that point.) :)
Afraid not, my friend. This takes place in 1991. The Ghostbusters fought Gozer in 1986. Winston Zeddmore's been part of the Ghostbusters for six years!
Maybe Wilson is on Vacation. Or he's franchising the service somewhere else, like... Ghettysburg!

Feb 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Ah, but young padwan, Zeddmore was hired from the proceeds of that advert. The advert itself is 5 years old at that point.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Why do they need to advertise anymore if they've become a public service?
Public service? Are you kidding? They get paid a shit ton of money to do what they did. Remember the negotiations after they caught slimer the first time?