Virtual On Coming To XBLA Next Week

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Virtual On Coming To XBLA Next Week

Sega's giant robot arena combat game will be coming to Xbox Live Arcade next week for the hefty amount of 1200 Microsoft Points.

Thank goodness for things like Xbox Live Arcade - if it weren't for services like this, I doubt Sega would ever have reason to release arcade classics with HD facelifts like the recent Outrun Online Arcade and, on April 29, the previously Japan-only Virtual On: Oratorio Tanagram [http://www.sega.com/games/virtual-on-oratorio-tangram/]. No, I can't think of a more ridiculous game title right now. I bet you can't either.

You might remember Virtual On: OT if you were a giant robot fanatic who also happened to owned a Dreamcast - there was a port of the arcade original that appeared on Sega's tragically doomed console in 2000. If you didn't, well, Virtual On: OT, a sequel to the first Arcade/Saturn game, is essentially this: two cool anime-tastic robots enter an arena, lasers fly, swords are swung, and only one of them leaves. There are various robots, or "VRs," to choose from with different techniques and maneuvers, not unlike a roster of characters in a fighting game.

There were actually multiple versions of Oratorio Tanagram, with three arcade versions and the Dreamcast one. The version that'll be released on XBLA next week is the most recent, 5.66, which has more VRs than any other and is presumably the best balanced.

Like Outrun Online Arcade, VO: OT features upgraded current-gen quality visuals, online multiplayer, achievements and more. The major downsides? It costs a hefty 1200 Spacebux, which is bad. Even worse is the fact that you'll have to make due playing Virtual On, which was designed with a twin stick set up in mind, on the 360 pad.

Of course you could always make like this guy [http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/modder-brings-virtual-ons-dual-sticks-to-the-xbox-360-on-the-ch/] and fashion your own setup with some wires and a few candy boxes.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Damn 1200 MS points pricetag.
QFT. I wanted this game, but for $15 in Microsoft Fun Bucks, I'll just dig my Dreamcast out of the closet.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I mentioned this a month ago and people thought I was lying. I have fond memories of playing the shit out of the demo on my Saturn. And sad memories of playing the PS2 version and saying WTF!?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
I mentioned this a month ago and people thought I was lying.
Well, you are a wombat. Wombats tend to be deceitful.

But yes, this was announced more than a month ago, they just today set the release date is all.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
So... This is a sequel to V-On, not the one I already have for PC?
Oratorio Tanagram is the sequel to the first Virutal On, which was on PC, which is probably the one you have, so yes.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Keane Ng said:
TsunamiWombat said:
I mentioned this a month ago and people thought I was lying.
Well, you are a wombat. Wombats tend to be deceitful.

But yes, this was announced more than a month ago, they just today set the release date is all.
That is true... that is true...*puts all the uncounted Gore votes back into his closet*

DarkExarch

Apr 15, 2009
I remember the original arcade game pretty fondly...I worked in a pizza place as a teenager and they had a dual-cockpit setup. When we had staff meetings, the owner would open up all of the games afterward and rack up fifty-odd credits on each machine and I'd play until customers showed up.

Good times....

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I never heard of this, but now my interest has budded. I await the trail version. To the cryo chamber!
*sets timer for Wednesday*

Ollie Barder

Mar 9, 2009
http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/002628.html

Online is pretty horrid as well as the lag manifests itself as slower control inputs. It's like playing through treacle.

Pretty disappointing really.