Final Fantasy XIII Predicted to Sell More Copies on Xbox 360

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Fantasy XIII Predicted to Sell More Copies on Xbox 360

Wonder why Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1] will be a multi-platform release? It could have something to do with the fact that a UK retailer has predicted the Xbox 360 version will outsell its PS3 counterpart two-to-one.

Exclusivity is a funny thing when it comes to videogames and their fans. No one thinks anything of a long-running series being on its traditional platform - God of War is on PlayStation and Mario on Nintendo (because they're first-party titles, but I digress) - but the moment you announce that a game will be jumping ship and going multiplatform, a thousand Chicken Littles jump out of the woodwork to proclaim that the sky, she's a-falling.

That's how it felt when it was revealed that Final Fantasy XIII would be coming out on Xbox 360 after a decade of Sony PlayStation exclusivity from the main games in the franchise (not counting FF11). Xbox 360 fans crowed in delight, PS3 fans cursed Sony's name, and Square-Enix fans who owned both consoles really couldn't have possibly cared less. But though the PS3 version might be the "native" version of the game (and it's hard to argue otherwise), it seems that some people are predicting the Xbox 360 version will sell more copies.

Discount UK game retailer MyVoucherCodes.co.uk [http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/] is predicting that the Xbox 360 version of FF13 could outsell its PS3 counterpart by a margin of two-to-one, based on its site traffic. The prediction comes from trends the site has seen in searches for the games in question, where interest for the Xbox Final Fantasy is trending roughly twice as high as for the PS3 one. The site's data also suggests that FF13 could be the most highly-anticipated game of the year, with 250,000 searches made for the Xbox 360 version and 120,000 for the PS3 version in February alone.

"The Final Fantasy series has always been a huge draw for Sony, since its debut on the PlayStation in the form of Final Fantasy VII," said managing director Mark Pearson. "For Microsoft to now be sharing and in fact beating the interest for the PS3 version must be worrying Sony chiefs, who must be wondering just how to steal the march back, if it is at all possible. Our Christmas sales data showed that Xbox 360s were outselling PS3s three-to-one in the holiday period, a fact which seems to be presenting itself here as consumers show more interest in the Xbox 360 title."

In all fairness to Mr. Pearson, I'm actually fairly sure that the Xbox 360 did not outsell the PS3 three-to-one over the holiday season - at least, not here in the US (I don't know about the UK, but it sounds unlikely there too). So while this is some interesting food for thought, and completely throwing out the MyVoucherCodes data would be a mistake, I don't think it's a good idea to start putting your money down with bookies just yet.

(MCV UK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37765/Xboxs-FFXIII-to-outsell-PS3-version])

Apr 28, 2008
Shouldn't that guy be banned or something for flamebaiting?

OT: I think it will sell relatively evenly. Mainly because lots of people would alredy have it pre-ordered on the PS3, and many people see it as a PS3 title. Plus there are a lot of people who want to play it but don't have a PS3.

But no matter what happens, flame wars will ensue over comparisons between the two versions.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Irridium said:
Shouldn't that guy be banned or something for flamebaiting?

OT: I think it will sell relatively evenly. Mainly because lots of people would alredy have it pre-ordered on the PS3, and many people see it as a PS3 title. Plus there are a lot of people who want to play it but don't have a PS3.

But no matter what happens, flame wars will ensue over comparisons between the two versions.
My brother and his friend have a PS3 and 360 so comparisons will ensue.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
This makes sense to me. Most of my friends loved a bit of FF on the Playstation. Most of them have moved onto 360's (and apperntly this has happened to alot of people), so FF13 should have a huge income from 360 users.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Oh No A ps game is no longer a exclusive and will sell better cos it's on more consoles.
Give me a break Mr. Pearson

Bodachi

Jul 13, 2009
Honestly thats the site people are quoting really? I've never even heard of them until today. I think if anything its probably gonna be a small amount more on PS3 or just even.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Another "mycouchercodes" poll?! Cant you guys find more solid sources?

Rather than linking to their useless front page (wich is a confusing mess of a commercial sit) give us the original link to the sources; data, and methodology of that poll.

If you dont, this article has no value.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Considering that the 360 has that pesky "larger installed base" then I'd expect it to sell more.

Out of all the people I know anticipating 13, I'm one of only 2 with a PS3, the rest are on 360s, the rest is about two or three more, but still.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Last I checked most sales for games like Final Fantasy came from Japan right? last I checked the 360 version isn't being released there at all right?

Meh, either way I own both and I'm getting the PS3 version. Original version sounds good to me.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I doubt we'll see a 2:1 360 to PS3 sells of FF13, but I can see them coming in evenly. Square-Enix has been running quite a line of games on the 360, which means the usual PS1/2 crowds built because of Square-Enix have moved to the 360. However, there will still be plenty of people that realize the FF13 was built for the PS3 originally and will go the distance to play it on there if they don't have a PS3 yet.

I know I have it preordered for the PS3 and I'll be buying one either this month or next. I trust Square-Enix, but I know a port doesn't always look its best. I want to see Final Fantasy 13 in all its glory on the PS3. I'm also doing it since Final Fantasy Versus 13 is still a PS3 exclusive. I don't want to mix platforms if I can avoid it.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Well more people own 360s than PS3s so that does make sense.

Also, anyone else think the woman in the picture looks surprisingly similar to Revvy from Black Lagoon?

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Brain_cleanser said:
Considering that the 360 has that pesky "larger installed base" then I'd expect it to sell more.
Out of all the people I know anticipating 13, I'm one of only 2 with a PS3, the rest are on 360s, the rest is about two or three more, but still.
Umm... I understand the point you're trying to make, but that was a really bad example.
You made it sound like the PS3 owners you know anticipating FF13 is in the clear minority, but then states that it's actually more like 40~50% of the total amount.
The X360 version probably will outsell the PS3 version, but probably not by a 2:1 ratio. And if you throw in the East Asia sales numbers, it's unlikely that there will be a huge difference for world wide numbers.

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
I ordered it for PS3. My only reasoning is that it will look better on PS3 as it was originally programmed for it. My only worry is that maybe there would be better DLC on the xbox... since that has a better online service to the PSN... I mean I dont think the TR Underworld expansions were ever released on PS3. So I will have the PS3 version and will continue hoping that the DLC will be the same on both consoles.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
The fact that it comes out on the 360 is pretty large news, the fact that it comes out on the ps3... not so much, seeing where all the previous ones were released.Hence the extra searches.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Doesn't surprise me, if only because the 360 has like 6 million more unit sales than the PS3.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Gee I wonder why? Oh yeah! PS3's are on the fritz and everyones who want Final Fantasy XIII will buy the 360 because it's cheaper then the slim PS3. I find it too coincidental that this is posted not long after the Y2PS3 thing happened. Actually it's funny! Also staring at my PS3 atm is annoying since it has becomes schrodinger's console.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Pingieking said:
Brain_cleanser said:
Umm... I understand the point you're trying to make, but that was a really bad example.
You made it sound like the PS3 owners you know anticipating FF13 is in the clear minority, but then states that it's actually more like 40~50% of the total amount.
The X360 version probably will outsell the PS3 version, but probably not by a 2:1 ratio. And if you throw in the East Asia sales numbers, it's unlikely that there will be a huge difference for world wide numbers.
You're right. But it's the best I could come up with to illustrate "More people own 360s than PS3s, and here's a small sample of just people I know" because I didn't want to be so verbose.
It's the install base, is what I'm saying, I guess. Of the people anticipating FF13 that I know only a few own PS3s, while the rest on 360's.

shaunomacx

Mar 1, 2010
First of all the following wording is all wrong: "Discount UK game retailer MyVoucherCodes.co.uk"

MyVoucherCodes is a discount code aggregator, nothing more. They don't even specialize in videogames as you can see here > http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/new-discounts

Hard to take this rationalisation for one outselling another seriously when the primary, or secondary research is flawed to begin with. MCV should be ashamed to run what is essentially a fluff piece, and you guys shouldn't be fooled by it.

Oh, I'm a PS360Wii owner, not a fanboy.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
If the prediction turns out to be accurate, I hope that it convinces more companies to make their games multiplatform (including FFXIII Versus, as long as we're on the topic of SE).