The Truth About 4th Edition: Part One of Our Exclusive Interview with Wizards of the Coast

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Truth About 4th Edition: Part One of Our Exclusive Interview with Wizards of the Coast

The Escapist sits down with Andy Collins and Liz Schuh from Wizards of the Coast to find out why the 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons came out and why tieflings are a core race.

Read Full Article

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
This is actually an article I have been looking forward to for a long time. It explains a lot. I still don't see why they think what they did with 4th Edition was a good idea. They say that it fits in with the new generation, but I am part of the new generation and I don't like 4th Edition. The complexity of 3 and 3.5 was what made me like the game: having to read up on everything in order to make a great game for your friends just won me over.

Nice article.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
As someone who's played and run 4th Edition games, I love the system. I really do think they've streamlined a lot of areas that needed it (character creation being one of them) and I've had a lot of fun with it.

GreyWolf257 said:
This is actually an article I have been looking forward to for a long time. It explains a lot. I still don't see why they think what they did with 4th Edition was a good idea. They say that it fits in with the new generation, but I am part of the new generation and I don't like 4th Edition. The complexity of 3 and 3.5 was what made me like the game: having to read up on everything in order to make a great game for your friends just won me over.

Nice article.
That's part of my problem with 3.5. There's so much stuff out there for it (and so much that is 3rd party), that's its nice to have this new system that's much easier to get into.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Someone seems to have Mispelled From consistently in this article. Is that a [sic] quotation?

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
As someone who's played and run 4th Edition games, I love the system. I really do think they've streamlined a lot of areas that needed it (character creation being one of them) and I've had a lot of fun with it.

GreyWolf257 said:

Nice article.
That's part of my problem with 3.5. There's so much stuff out there for it (and so much that is 3rd party), that's its nice to have this new system that's much easier to get into.
Well, I will admit that there is a lot to 3 and 3.5, but it is just so much better than 4. We added some things to our games that are from 4, but we don't like it enough to go all the way. It takes forever to learn 3 and 3.5, but it is totally worth it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I've said it before, but I think it bares repeating. I've never felt that any one edition is better or worse than another. They all seem to do one or two things better or worse than each other and in the end simply cater to different styles of play. Your best experience will be to match the edition with your players.

IridRadiant

May 31, 2008
Slycne said:
I've said it before, but I think it bares repeating. I've never felt that any one edition is better or worse than another. They all seem to do one or two things better or worse than each other and in the end simply cater to different styles of play. Your best experience will be to match the edition with your players.
Agreed. 1st edition is more dependent on descriptive players, 2nd ed is for number crunchers, 3rd is diverse but categorized, and 4th is streamlined.

It really struck me about the article that they basically admitted that making the new edition was for money purposes and to set a new starting point for everyone. So rather than make a 3.75 or some such with errata and refreshed categorization built in, they decided to scrap most of it and start anew. What I still don't understand is why they had to poison some of the established campaigns (like Forgotten Realms) with a system designed for new players.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
3.0/3.5 gives you a lot of control over the little things, but they often don't matter so much. $.0 offers a much more streamlined approach to combat and skills, which is where a lot of time is wasted. Combat in 3rd edition usually amounted to melee characters hitting something every turn and casters using their most powerful spell. $th edition actually gives every class choices to make during combat.

I like what they did with 4.0, but you can't really directly compare it in its entirety to other systems, though. They focused on different things with 4.0, so if you weren't interested in those things, you probably didn't like the new edition.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This article is pretty interesting but it still doesn't make me feel any better about it. I'm supposed to play in a 4.0 campaign for the first time this summer and after playing so many other tabletop games recently (including 3.5) and after hearing all the bad things about it I am worried it won't be all that much fun. Here's hoping the DM makes up for it.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Current business model: Make your game virtually unplayable without the continual purchase of tons of useless models, maps, and other junk. Restrict your main publications to online format and overcharge for access. Let the money roll in... yep, sounds like a winner.

Beyond the obvious focus on fleecing their patrons of every last penny, it's the dumbing down of every single one of their settings that really irks me. Eberron (a formerly gritty-noir setting) now featuring bollocks like a power that creates a magical springboard so you can jump around the room?! What are we? In pre-school?!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Slycne said:
Couldnt have said it better myself. Agreed totally.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
GreyWolf257 said:
Well, I will admit that there is a lot to 3 and 3.5, but it is just so much better than 4. We added some things to our games that are from 4, but we don't like it enough to go all the way. It takes forever to learn 3 and 3.5, but it is totally worth it.
See, that's what I liked about 3E myself. I did get into some of the stuff in 3.5E, but it was kind of pick and choose, really. That aside, with just the three core rulebooks of 3E, you could essentially make any number of different characters. I didn't buy most of the supplements to 3E because they weren't neccessary; you could do everything they were doing with just the right selection of feats and skills and those bits that you couldn't were really simple to come up with on your own. 4E, on the other hand, is built so much like WOW in its character creation and leveling system that all your characters are essentially the same with only minor variations.
Furthermore, 4E is nowhere near as adaptable as 3E. 3E, we could tweak the rules to make the game a lot more gritty and realistic. We even found away to do away with the class system altogether, but still use the basic d20 rules. You can't do that with 4E, because the only thing that has any real complexity to it is the powers. Take that away and the game has nothing. You can't build the game to emphasize skills exclusively because so many of the skills are all lumped together and because they automatically go up with levels, every character of a certain level is going to have the same skill ranking in his chosen skills. You can't choose to emphasize some skills over others like you could with 3E.
But, on the whole, I reject 4E because all the basic materials is divided up among six books, each priced at $40. The special books of 3E cost that much. I understand the concept of making money, but 4E is just milking the customers for every cent it can get and on the whole, it doesn't provide enough new and interesting material to justify the cost. In the end, 4E strikes me as a game that was rushed through production way too fast. Maybe by the time of 4.5E, I'll get into it, unless they simply repeat what they did with 3.5 and most of the changes turn out to be arbitrary, adding little and improving bugger all.

Otterpoet said:
Current business model: Make your game virtually unplayable without the continual purchase of tons of useless models, maps, and other junk. Restrict your main publications to online format and overcharge for access. Let the money roll in... yep, sounds like a winner.

Beyond the obvious focus on fleecing their patrons of every last penny, it's the dumbing down of every single one of their settings that really irks me. Eberron (a formerly gritty-noir setting) now featuring bollocks like a power that creates a magical springboard so you can jump around the room?! What are we? In pre-school?!
Exactly.

Killian Kalthorne

Dec 17, 2008
4e changed too many things for me. I am an old school gamer, from the days of Basic DnD and 4e simply took away too many "sacred cows" which made the game fun. That is why I left Dungeons and Dragons enitrely and now run Shadowrun instead. If by chance I do go back to Dungeons and Dragons it won't be 4e. It will be Pathfinder. Pathfinder fixes a lot of the material that was wrong in 3e/3.5e without changing the game completely. Pathfinder stayed true to DnD roots while 4e did not.

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
GreyWolf257 said:
See, that's what I liked about 3E myself. I did get into some of the stuff in 3.5E, but it was kind of pick and choose, really. That aside, with just the three core rulebooks of 3E, you could essentially make any number of different characters. I didn't buy most of the supplements to 3E because they weren't neccessary; you could do everything they were doing with just the right selection of feats and skills and those bits that you couldn't were really simple to come up with on your own. 4E, on the other hand, is built so much like WOW in its character creation and leveling system that all your characters are essentially the same with only minor variations.
Furthermore, 4E is nowhere near as adaptable as 3E. 3E, we could tweak the rules to make the game a lot more gritty and realistic. We even found away to do away with the class system altogether, but still use the basic d20 rules. You can't do that with 4E, because the only thing that has any real complexity to it is the powers. Take that away and the game has nothing. You can't build the game to emphasize skills exclusively because so many of the skills are all lumped together and because they automatically go up with levels, every character of a certain level is going to have the same skill ranking in his chosen skills. You can't choose to emphasize some skills over others like you could with 3E.
But, on the whole, I reject 4E because all the basic materials is divided up among six books, each priced at $40. The special books of 3E cost that much. I understand the concept of making money, but 4E is just milking the customers for every cent it can get and on the whole, it doesn't provide enough new and interesting material to justify the cost. In the end, 4E strikes me as a game that was rushed through production way too fast. Maybe by the time of 4.5E, I'll get into it, unless they simply repeat what they did with 3.5 and most of the changes turn out to be arbitrary, adding little and improving bugger all.
The only thing that keeps me from spewing foam from my mouth when it comes to 4E is the fact that I only payed $10 dollars for the player manual, which I will probably not ever use. The prices for those books are just ungodly. And if you don't want to pay for 3.5, you can get it for free <a href=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a>here. I never would have payed for the thing, but it is nice to be able to look at what you can use in it to fit into your own game sessions.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
GreyWolf257 said:
The only thing that keeps me from spewing foam from my mouth when it comes to 4E is the fact that I only payed $10 dollars for the player manual, which I will probably not ever use. The prices for those books are just ungodly. And if you don't want to pay for 3.5, you can get it for free <a href=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a>here. I never would have payed for the thing, but it is nice to be able to look at what you can use in it to fit into your own game sessions.
But you don't even need to pay the ten bucks to look at it. Every element of the 4E player's manual is available online. If you go searching, you can compile all the information into your own file and not pay a cent. But I can't think of a reason why you'd go to the trouble, since there's so very little worth having.
I did like the rituals, but that was something I'd been doing for years already, so there wasn't anything new to me.
And another thing I go on about is how insulting the books are. I'm going to quote something directly from the text:
"Play a dragonborn if you want to look like a dragon."
That's so bloody shallow that you'd think WotC thinks we're all five-years-old. And it does something like that for every race. It just plain bugs me.

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
GreyWolf257 said:
But you don't even need to pay the ten bucks to look at it. Every element of the 4E player's manual is available online. If you go searching, you can compile all the information into your own file and not pay a cent. But I can't think of a reason why you'd go to the trouble, since there's so very little worth having.
I did like the rituals, but that was something I'd been doing for years already, so there wasn't anything new to me.
And another thing I go on about is how insulting the books are. I'm going to quote something directly from the text:
That's so bloody shallow that you'd think WotC thinks we're all five-years-old. And it does something like that for every race. It just plain bugs me.
Shhh! I'm trying to reason with the fact that I payed money for the darn thing, don't drop me off the eight-story building that is my shame at wasting money! By the way, have you ever noticed that the 4th Edition book is so hard to read? I mean, it just seems so disorganized, especially compared to the 3rd Edition book. I opened the 4E book and "BLAM!" face full of nothing but wall of text after wall of text. Hurt my eyes reading that thing.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
This article only offended me. The canon was closed with 3.5. If I want to play WoW, I could play 4e, but I could also play WoW.

If 4e is built for the ADD gamer (instead of the ADnD gamer) then it is not built for me. Marathon sessions in which liters of Coke or Jolt are guzzled are part of the experience. Let the newbs climb the foothills; I'm going to the mountains. In short, if 4e is for the short attention span, it is not for me.

4e is simply WotC doing a money grab. The fall of WotC as a gaming company can be marked by the fall of the Game Center. They use to be a game company that generated revenue for Hasbro; now they are a revenue generator for Hasbro which "grows" properties inherited by the WotC of old.

Thank God there is so very much material for 3rd and 3.5. I will continue to ignore the existence of 4.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
GreyWolf257 said:
Shhh! I'm trying to reason with the fact that I payed money for the darn thing, don't drop me off the eight-story building that is my shame at wasting money! By the way, have you ever noticed that the 4th Edition book is so hard to read? I mean, it just seems so disorganized, especially compared to the 3rd Edition book. I opened the 4E book and "BLAM!" face full of nothing but wall of text after wall of text. Hurt my eyes reading that thing.
Yeah, they are really badly written and organized. Like I said, it seems to me like it was rushed out too quickly.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Guys, seriously. Enough with the editions wars. I've played both, and they are both enjoyable, in different ways. 4th edition is fundamentally easier to understand, with a simpler core mechanic which makes it easier to get into, and get new people into. 3rd Edition is more open-ended and complex in what it allows players to do, which can be intimidating, but gives very experienced players a feeling of power they don't feel like giving up. 4E focuses on fun and balance, such that even poorly built characters can still contribute, and their players can still have fun in combat. 3.5 is such that there is a massive difference between what an optimizer can do and what an unfamiliar player can do. Even at 1st level, but the difference grows exponentially as levels go up. This eventually can make the game no fun for less knowledgeable players. This is a big problem for new players, as the knowledge required for fun is quite large.

So 3.5 has this added complexity, which if properly utilized can create more interesting and unique characters and ideas. It's more adaptable, but harder to use, with more significant differences between options. Eventually these differences can stack up to make certain players massively more powerful than their comrades.
4E has a simpler, more rigid system with fewer branching options available to the player, instead a lot of small choices you can make. Power levels between players can shift, but it rarely shifts enough to make it game-breaking or unfun.

If you are already familiar with 3.5 and have enough friends who are familiar, go ahead and stick with it. Trying 4E is free, if you'd like to try it, all the basic resources are available online. It is inherently more simple, and therefore requires more creativity to do the same things that could be done in 3.5. The question is: If what you want is exactly what 3.5 lets you do, why change? You set yourself up for disappointment if you come into a new game expecting to be able to do precisely the same things you used to be able to do and more. That's what splatbooks are for. They are two different games.

I've had fun with both editions, and I'm currently playing both, as a 3.5 player and a 4e DM.

GreyWolf257 said:
By the way, have you ever noticed that the 4th Edition book is so hard to read? I mean, it just seems so disorganized, especially compared to the 3rd Edition book. I opened the 4E book and "BLAM!" face full of nothing but wall of text after wall of text. Hurt my eyes reading that thing.
No, I think you're confusing that with 3rd edition. Especially the spells in 3rd edition. 4th edition is full of shiny colors, short paragraphs and pictures. You, like many others, are suffering from a "what I learned was better" selective memory.
RJ Dalton said:
That's the trouble with trying to make something accessible to new players, the old ones complain that it's too simplistic. There's plenty of deeper fluff about all of the races if you're actually interested in learning about them, though it isn't all found in the PHB. (It wasn't found in the 3.5 PHB either.) Bullet points are made to be simple, and they were helpful for getting new players started on picking out their characters. When you're trying to make a character for somebody who's never played before, it's a lot easier to tell them the basics, then let them find out more later. It doesn't make it "made for 5-year-olds" to have it summarized simply.