Microsoft Uses Gifts to Make Up for Halo 2's End

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft Uses Gifts to Make Up for Halo 2's End

Microsoft is taking Halo 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-2-Xbox/dp/B00008J7NZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279053991&sr=1-1] offline in mid-April, but the company is doing its best to make up for it.

When Microsoft announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98069-Microsoft-Dropping-Online-Support-for-Original-Xbox-Games] last month that online support for original Xbox games, such as Halo 2, would be ending on April 15, sad faces appeared amongst the Halo elite. Microsoft recently demonstrated that it knows how painful the loss of Halo 2 may be for certain gamers, and is giving out a few bonuses in an attempt to turn some frowns upside down.

In an email sent out to "loyal" Halo 2 players, Microsoft says that while it's difficult to say goodbye to Halo 2, now is the time to focus on the present and future, meaning on Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU0NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279054043&sr=1-1]. To do so, Microsoft will be giving these Halo 2 elite three free months of Xbox Live Gold, 400 Microsoft points, and access to the Halo: Reach beta. The Microsoft points arrive through an Xbox Live message, the Gold subscription is automatically extended, and the beta invite will arrive once the beta is actually ready.

Let's face it, Microsoft didn't have to do a thing for Halo 2 players. Not being an expert on what it takes to run servers for original Xbox games, I can't say that it wouldn't have been possible to keep them going at a minor expense, though it certainly seems that way. The reason for shutting them down could be anything from that cost to just wanting to put the Xbox in the past. Still, for whatever reason, Microsoft could have just said "tough luck" and called it a day. It didn't, and instead provided three pretty nice bonuses to make up for what may have angered a decent-sized segment of the gaming population. Due to these loyalty perks, I'm sure at least a few Halo 2 players will actually upgrade to an Xbox 360, if they haven't already for some reason.

Source: Joystiq [http://ebm.email.xbox.com/c/tag/hBLj69PAlyGDmB791i$M4V9lNRZ/doc.html])

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Read about this on Kotaku the other day, found it to be a good thing for Microsoft to do.

Although I do wonder, as a comment stated in said Kotaku article, what would define "Loyal" to them. Would it be certain amount of play time? Being on during the last few days? It may be of no concern to me, but I wonder all the same.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
I suppose a kick in the balls can be made tolerable if you give the recipient of the kick roses money and chocolate at the same time.

But it still hurts like a mother f***er.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Wow...so Microsoft is doing something nice for it's loyal fans?

I'm shocked! They see us people! WE'RE PEOPLE TO THEM EVERYONE!

I gotta say though, that is nice, but if they're still playing Halo 2, I doubt they have a 360, since I'm sure they didn't updgrade to 3 for a reason...

Tairan

Mar 21, 2009
what the hell if people are so upset about it their useally die hard fans so they would allready have halo 3 its exacly the same gameplay

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
Well, they don't owe us anything, sooo... a gift isn't bad.

(I just noticed that Tom's avatar is a Nu, probably because I started playing Chrono Trigger two weeks ago, that's why I've been inactive for the last two weeks xD)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Halo 2 has been out for ages. I think its time it ended. If getting rid of the old XBox Live functionality will allow more creative use of Live on the 360 then its worth it.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
While this is nice and all, and it is true MS doesn't owe these dudes anything, a real gift would be open sourcing the server code to allow people to run private servers.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Can't the primitive Halo 2 network code piggy back the Halo Reach servers?

Yes yes yes, I know it was advanced for its time, but like in todays bandwith chewing internet Halo 2's net code while not as efficient for its day probably hasn't got such a high workload?.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Ok, wheres my gift for Sega shutting down the Phantasy Star Online servers? No really, give me one.

What makes Halo 2 servers shutting any different from some other games servers closing? Certainly nothing that warrants giving people stuff thats for sure.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Decent of Microsoft I suppose. It's not as if they needed to give anything out. I suppose it works to their advantage if doing so manages to get a bunch of ex-Halo 2 players to buy Reach and play that online instead.

Beardly

Jan 19, 2010
xavierxenon said:
Ok, wheres my gift for Sega shutting down the Phantasy Star Online servers?
Well, you don't have to play Phantasy Star Online anymore.

OT: I'm surprised they even bothered to keep the Halo 2 servers up this long.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I didnt know people where still playing Halo 2,I thought the online would have died.

If they are still playing Halo 2 im assuming that there Halo fanboys and would have a reach beta key already.

The Free 3 months and 400 MSP sounds nice though.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
I suppose a kick in the balls can be made tolerable if you give the recipient of the kick roses money and chocolate at the same time.

But it still hurts like a mother f***er.
And the pain will be felt for a long, long, long time...

At least Microsoft are been somewhat civil about it. Gotta give them points there

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I received one of these gifts, and I haven't played more than a few hours of Halo 2 in the last couple years. I guess they're going by total time played in Halo 2, not recent time played? Who knows. All I know is I'm happy to get free stuff.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
I don't know where anyone who posted on this thread has been but everyone that I know got pissed at Halo 3 (it is not an upgrade by any means) and went back to Halo 2. Also almost all of them have 360s. They just continue to play halo 2, that doesn't mean they don't keep up on other games. Anyway hopefully Reach will make everyone happy and this was indeed actually a rare moment of Microsoft pretending to give a shit. In actuality its a marketing ploy but I guess that even in that form its a pretty sweet deal.

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
Are they taking down Live PC support as well? The column was eerily silent on that point.