Alan Wake: Man vs. Combine Harvester

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alan Wake: Man vs. Combine Harvester

Microsoft has just released a new clip of Alan Wake [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279052013&sr=1-1] footage that shows the eponymous hero tackling the Combine harvester from hell. Or, just a regular Combine harvester.

Remedy's Alan Wake was in development hell for a good half-decade, so the idea that the game might actually be coming out? Well, it's no wonder that people are eagerly jumping on every scrap of gameplay footage that Microsoft lets slip from its iron-fisted grip on its throne atop Fortress Redmond.

In this latest bit of gameplay footage, aptly titled "Harvester of Sorrow," novelist Alan Wake (who is having a very weird couple of days) is attacked by a Combine harvester. No, Valve fanboys, this isn't a crossover with Combine harvester [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Playstation-2/dp/B00005ME8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968985&sr=1-1]. Is it a ghost harvester? Is it a harvester from hell?

Whatever it is, it looks kind of silly when it hits him and just bounces off - but apparently, all the footage we've seen of the game thus far has been with God Mode turned on. Hopefully, if Alan actually gets hit by the thing it'll kill him (as it, y'know, should), because fighting evil Satanic harvesters that can't kill you by running over you means that the psycho-thriller-horror-whatever is suddenly much less psychological, thrilling, and/or horrifying.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
That was pretty funny when teh combine hit hit and it just moved him slightly. And they think this will come close to being like a television series. Its still just a videogame that doesn't sound too exciting or unique in my opinion.

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
That is probably scarier than zombies. I mean zombies nibble, but a CH would shred you. Into slush puppies.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I don't know what to make of this game. Everything about this reminds me of Alone in the Dark, which is bad. But it also seems kinda cool at the same time. We'll see.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
At this rate they will have revealed every scene in the game before it comes out... I want to play it, not watch it piecemeal.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
This looks pretty good (except for the not-dying-when-mauled part), but since it's a 360 exclusive now I shouldn't get too excited :(

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
<youtube=kAh_A7N3_mc>

It had to be done.
Damn, you beat me to it.
COS I got a brand new combine harvester and I'll give you the key;
now let's get together in perfect harmony;
I got 20 acres, you got 43;
WELL I got a brand new combine harvester and I'll give you the key!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I stopped caring about Alan Wake when Microsoft released that bullcrap PR nonsense explaining how they felt it was best played on your couch, so no PC version would be forthcoming. At least the developers came forward with a real reason afterward, but the damage was already done! I have been affronted Microsoft, and I demand satisfaction! Pistols at dawn!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Cool clip...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Alan Wake originally supposed to be the showcase game for how awesome DX10 would be? Doesn't that put it long overdue for release (not that us PC gamers will ever get to play it...), or are we having another DNF game here?

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Right, so the harvester evaporated from the maglight?

Fine, this game looks bonkers, but I'm looking forward to reading the reviews. Hopefully it'll be good so that it may justify the production time.

[sub]And amuse me, of course...[/sub]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MaxChaos said:
At this rate they will have revealed every scene in the game before it comes out...
Are you kidding?

They've been showing the same scene for the past year!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
<youtube=kAh_A7N3_mc>

It had to be done.
Crap... I REALLY wanted to post that.

Well I'll just make do with Calumon's opinion. No-one does that but me.

Calumon: That combo...cumbo... thing looks mean. Why can't it let us ride on it!

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
LOL the best part was at 00:20 when the thing rammed into him and he bumped it back with his superman super-abilities...

Wait...this isn't supposed to be a realistic game...is it?