Gas Powered Games To Include Mac Development Going Forward

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gas Powered Games To Include Mac Development Going Forward

Chris Taylor of Gas Powered Games said that he loves Valve's announcement that they are bringing Steam to Apple's Mac platform.

Having just released Supreme Commander 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Commander-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BXJ87K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278971245&sr=1-1] on Valve's Steam service last week for the PC, Chris Taylor knows how important digital distribution is. I asked him at GDC 2010 what he thought of Valve's announcement that they will be supporting Macs. Taylor's short answer: "I love it."

"I heard that Apple's market share was 10 or 11% and that last year that grew by 30%," Taylor said. "So taking a 10 or 11% slice of the pie and making that a 14 or a 15% slice of the pie, that is awesome growth. It shows that the OS X platform is really picking up speed. That's super exciting, we need that in the world. We need that kind of balance in our market."

Taylor was quick to point out that although Apple has a different operating system, Mac computers run on the same hardware as PCs running Windows. "They're both using Intel chips. So that doesn't propose a lot of cost in changes, they're both using ATi and nVidia graphics hardware. You're talking about a very easy platform to bring PC games over to."

Taylor went so far as to state that Gas Powered Games would be behind Mac support on Steam from now on: "We, as a developer, will include a Mac platform option in all of our proposals moving forward. We're in 100% support of it. Absolutely."

"Kudos to Valve," Taylor said. Bringing Steam to the Mac platform is "a great, great move."

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
This just keeps getting better and better! It's been forever since i could reliably find the "mac version".
Edit: This is some great stuff for me I tell you what. It's been about a decade.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
If this keeps up I might be tempted to shift over to a mac. I've never owned one but they just seem more polished and less slapdash like the average PC, admittedly they are ridiculously more expensive though.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Meh, I don't have a good enough graphics card, even though I have a mac.
I'm apathetic about this.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I can't believe that people still don't understand why valve are doing this.

They are trying to unite the gamers of the world! And then they will brainwash us with videogames and create an infinite nerd-army!

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Nerf Ninja said:
If this keeps up I might be tempted to shift over to a mac. I've never owned one but they just seem more polished and less slapdash like the average PC, admittedly they are ridiculously more expensive though.
Hopefully If more people buy then they'll get cheaper
Hubilub said:
I can't believe that people still don't understand why valve are doing this.

They are trying to unite the gamers of the world! And then they will brainwash us with videogames and create an infinite nerd-army!
And that's bad... why?

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
i never used intel macs .i have question for mac users,
can you upgrade your gpu, ram and such in mac PCs?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
saejox said:
I can't see why not. The old G4s were pretty customizable with the caveat of a lot of propritary architecture. Now that the moterolla chips are a thing of the past this should be possible. That said, the laptops aren't fully upgradable, but that's always been the case.

Racistman3d

Jul 6, 2009
saejox said:
You can definitely upgrade parts of the mac pro, but I don't know about the Macbook's or the I iMacs.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Well, this might revive gaming on OS X. It's funny, because when Apple made the switch to Intel, half the mac gaming community jumped with glee because they thought it would mean more ports to Mac, now that the game would be running on the same core architecture, while the other half (myself included) pointed out that it would in fact mean LESS because anyone could just dual boot into Windows and pick up any game without having to wait another year to two years for a port to come out at the same price as the original release. Kudos to Valve.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
MR.Spartacus said:
This just keeps getting better and better! It's been forever since i could reliably find the "mac version".
Edit: This is some great stuff for me I tell you what. It's been about a decade.
You're not missing much. Unless they go back and do a mac version (I'm loathe to use the word "port", it seems to always mean "complete shite") of SupCom 1, all you're missing out on is an average generic RTS.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, now Valve knows they are going to have developers surrporting them, which is a great thing.

Go go Mac users! lol

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I can't wait for Steam on my Mac. I have a few games currently on my laptop. But... it's not really a great experience with an Intel graphics chip...

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
Lol when I saw "gas powered games" I thought it was gonna be a crazy steampunk gamesconsole or something!
OT my mate will be happy at this news.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
From an OS-neutral perspective, this is a good thing.

I've thought about switching to a Mac before, but always stopped short. Why?

Games. I play games. Lots of games. And games tended not to be ported, so that'd leave me high and dry.

Additional bonus - this will certainly put pressure on Microsoft to keep improving Windows (although I'm really quite happy with my x64 Win7 install).