Student Builds 8x8 LED Version of Super Mario Bros.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Student Builds 8x8 LED Version of Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. still looks pretty fun even when it's only composed of 64 pixels.

[vimeo=9928343]

A student at Carnegie Mellon University known only as Chloe has created one of the simplest versions of Super Mario Bros. ever. She came up with the project for a class called Gadgets, Sensors, and Activity Recognition.

Chloe's version of Mario plays on a one-color 8x8 LED matrix hooked up to an Arduino Nano, an open-source electronics platform that smart people use. The controls are even easier than the original NES's D-pad and two-button configuration, as Arduino Mario players simply move forward and jump. The only way to die is to prematurely push the forward button while blocked, so Goombas and Koopa Troopas have unfortunately been left out of this experiment.

What rounds out the project is how Chloe implemented a second Arduino board that plays the Super Mario Bros. theme. It doesn't seem like an 8x8 LED matrix would be able to give a player the same feeling as Super Mario Bros. for the NES, but Chloe's project really does. Her version of Mario even appears to have a similar floaty jump mechanic to that of the original 8-bit plumber. It strikes me as the kind of game we might be playing someday while huddled in an underground bunker after the apocalypse, trying to relive the old, happy days of videogaming.

(Via: PopSci [http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-03/video-super-mario-gets-real-pixelated-led-matrix])

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
It strikes me as the kind of game we might be playing someday while huddled in an underground bunker after the apocalypse, trying to relive the old, happy days of videogaming.
As likely as that would seem, that was still a bittersweet thing to imagine.

"Before the mutants eat my brain, I'm going to enjoy some Mario."

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
That was cool. Not really earth-shattering, nor something I'll remember in an hour from now, but cool nonetheless.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
That's actually pretty cool. reminds me of the simpler days, it'll probably be just as fun as the original mario.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I was thinking cool but meh.. until the music was added. At that point I suppose you could say that I "got it" and it suddenly became even cooler.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Though totally useless, that is pretty rad.
Better than I could do...
...cuz I am so lazy.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've never liked the Mario series, not even 64 or SMB 3. I only liked the hilarious RPGs. So, I can't imagine why people do all this stupid stuff with Mario...What a waste of time.

Oh wait...

[HEADING=2]NOSTALGIA[/HEADING]

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I really want to find out how this works, what it's coded in and whatnot.

Darchrow

Nov 18, 2009
Is it me or was there something with her voice? a lisp? Cool contraption either way but not sure whats the point lol

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Darchrow said:
Is it me or was there something with her voice? a lisp? Cool contraption either way but not sure whats the point lol
Yeah, I call it "big tongue syndrome." (that's what it sounds like) She also sounds somewhat like a deaf person. I know a girl like this, but never brought it up.

It'd be neat being able to make something like that. It shows creativity (even though she's copying a 25 year old game).

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
So now I'm googling Arduino Nano to see what kind of mess this thing is and what I can make with it... BRB