Rumor: Gears of War 3 Next April? (UPDATE)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Gears of War 3 Next April? (UPDATE)

According to a "trusted US publishing source," Epic's Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968429&sr=1-1] will be revealed this year at E3, and will hit shelves in April of 2011.

When Epic president Dr. Mike Capps said that fans of the company could Edge Online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98758-Epic-President-Hints-Something-Exciting-at-E3], if a "trusted US publishing source" is to be believed, then those people were right on the money.

Edge's source claims that fans ready to hop back into the shoes of Marcus and Dom will get to do so next April with the release of the as-of-yet-unannounced Gears of War 3. The title will be formally and fully unveiled at E3 in June (confirming Capps' statement), but a teaser trailer will be released next month on April 8 - almost exactly a year before the game is allegedly scheduled to come out.

Gears 3 will continue the story of humanity's fight for survival against the Locust Horde, and now that they've finally gotten that subplot with Dom's wife out of the way there should be nothing standing in between the COGS and brutal chainsaw-gun-to-the-face justice.

What sayest thou, people? Are we excited for a new Gears or what?

Update: Epic's Mark Rein, to VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/16/rein-on-gears-3-youre-kidding-right/], when asked about this: "You're kidding, right?"

To be honest, that could mean anything. It could mean "No, you're crazy, we're not making Gears 3." It could mean "No, you're crazy, do you think we'd release a title like Gears 3 any time that wasn't November or October?" It could just be trying to throw people off the trail.

Who knows?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I will only be satisfied if they include A Chainsaw rocket launcher in it.

I'm serious. I WANT this.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Personally im more excited about the updates to the Unreal Engine, bloody love it at the moment.

As for the GOW3: Meh, another wash of brown and grey with waves of macho men shooting stuff and shouting one liners. . . yay.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Personally, I'd rather see a bigger, badder Shadow Complex release.

A chainsaw rocket launcher would be pretty cool though.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
dududf said:
Then you should probably buy Cortex Command - or at least download the demo. Because it has one.

OT: Well, Gears Of War 3... they should probably throw in Gatling rocket launcher in addition to RPC, they're both fairly original. And probably rivet gun. And electric tripwire, i love those. And also Bouncing Betties. And black hole launcher. And some cake. And Belgium.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Sure. It's a great way to blow off some steam while utilizing little to less brain activity.

Only one thought in my head when I play Gears: "Hold B with Lancer equipped".

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Sure :D

Yes it's generic and colourless but I find it fun to chainsaw people in the face with my brother.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
That man is wearing a ridiculous powersuit. What, they don't have fashion police in the future?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Kollega said:
dududf said:
Then you should probably buy Cortex Command - or at least download the demo. Because it has one.
I just saw a video trailer... it doesn't look that fun.

Oh well...

I'm off to go and build a RPC. =3

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
You should change the title to: "Various shades of brown - Rumor of April release."

I look forward to it. I will be happy if it is as good as the first one, very happy if it's better.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
The first Gears was OK, the second one was better even if the final boss is ridiculously awful. But I'm not really looking foward to the third installment for some reason. Maybe it's the amount of brown or something.

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
I personally love the first two. Sure they're a bland brown and gray world, but it's fun and it actually took some strategy unlike other shooters out there. If they make the new one more colorful (not cartoon colors but brighter) and add some new weapons I will be happy.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Epic won't be getting my cash again after the absolutely massive disappointment Gears 2 was.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Gears of War 3: This is your brain on Rust Lung

You want to surprise me, Epic, release a game that isn't awash in a lovely 512 shades of brown and grey.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
if anything will offer another good multiplayer shooter I suppose.

To be honest not surprised they bringing another new one out. But cool to see only a year away-ish

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
I still think that dom's wife is alive and whomever it was he shot in the locust dungeons wasn't her.

But yea I'm looking forward to that trailer on april 8

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
Bring it on, I LOVE the Gears series. April of next year is a good timing too, gives me enough time to burn through the story on Halo: Reach.