Phylomon: Gotta Catch Em' All!

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Phylomon: Gotta Catch Em' All!

With the Phylomon card game, find out what would win in a fight - a blue whale or a ferret.

Read Full Article

chewbaccaisgreat

Mar 18, 2010
Yeah, not likely gonna see a maori octopus myself, but I guess that is why it's a crowd sourcing project. In theory, there's someone out there who'll go, "why isn't there a [insert creature] in this game?" and the avenue for such an animal to have a card is there.

Same with the video game idea - this is a web project that is going on collective expertise. Hopefully, those with video game programming can step up at some point?

chewbaccaisgreat

Mar 18, 2010
Yeah, not likely gonna see a maori octopus myself, but I guess that is why it's a crowd sourcing project. In theory, there's someone out there who'll go, "why isn't there a [insert creature] in this game?" and the avenue for such an animal to have a card is there.

Same with the video game idea - this is a web project that is going on collective expertise. Hopefully, those with video game programming can step up at some point?

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
It's a nice idea, but they're ten years late if they want to be succesfull with this stuff.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
This is a great idea but I DO NOT see this working as a trading card game. They're outdated. The DS is a much wider medium to distribute this sort of thing.

hansari

May 31, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Well you see, pokemon is more interesting than real life creatures.
I'm sure one of them can shoot out lightning too...or fire from its mouth...

Vortex Traveller

Sep 28, 2008
SO they want to ecourage kids to fight with real creatures insted of fictional ones... I can see how that could go wrong.
John:Syrian Hamster I choose you!
James:Go White-bellied Sea Eagle use wing attack
John's Syrian Hamster err "fainted" yes not dead just fainted.... ahem.

John's Mom/Mum:John,do you know where's the hamster gone?

in all Seriousness, I've seen schemes like this before tried with stuff like local policemen and it genrally does not work to well.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Back in the day I was able to name all 150 pokemon in order and what lvl they evolved. Can't do that now.

I do think this is a great idea. We as a culture need to me more interested with the outdoors and the life around us. I really hope it works well.

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
I, for one, absolutely adore this idea. Sure, it's going to be of interest solely to kids who are already science geeks, but rote establishment is one of the best ways to introduce a solid foundation for future learning.

Like how I memorized pi to the 30th decimal. 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I can't tell you how irksome it is when scientific calculators truncate that at a mere 10.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
*submits self* Procyon lotor

Seriously, this is the right thing to do. Their logic is sound, their scope large enough and methods creative. If they can just get a good marketing team to sell this, I think it will have some feet.

I'd buy it for my soon-to-be-born son, once he's old enough to read.

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
This is just an other case of completely missing the point. This is just some outside onlookers seeing something that works and saying "You now i bet this could work if applied to X..."

There are a lot of reasons that Pokémon is a universally known and reconsidered by so many kids. Is was(and arguably still is) the most addictive turn based RPG for it's easy to learn hard to master and grinning up the ass(like WOW). And no trading card game will match that since the card came out of the games.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I dont think kids will be playing this the animals featured (atleast in the pictures) would never be found in a urban enviroment or even a zoo

Layz92

May 4, 2009
hansari said:
ItsAPaul said:
There is that bug called the bombardier (i think) beetle that spits an extremely hot liquid.

LunarTick

Mar 1, 2010
Layz92 said:
hansari said:
ItsAPaul said:
There is that bug called the bombardier (i think) beetle that spits an extremely hot liquid.
The vampire squid [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_squid] (Vampyroteuthis infernalis) doesn't eject ink, but uses a bombardment of illuminating orbs to confuse predator. It has other light-based tactics. Pretty bad-ass.

Also, there are many mind-controlling parasites out there.

Flukes that control ants [http://www.weichtiere.at/Mollusks/Schnecken/parasitismus/dicrocoelium.html]

Barnacles that control crabs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacculina]

The protozoa Toxoplasma Gondii lives inside the brains of rats and mice and causes them to lose their incredibly hard-wired aversion of cats and becoming attracted to the smell of cats. [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11007336]

A lot of this behaviour control is to complete a reproduction cycle. Nature is pretty weird. I can see some pokemon based on these kind of things.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I'm in full support of this, I've not played pokemon but I get the basic gist of it, its Trump cards but with wierd creatures right?.

Lauren Admire said:
Ask that same child what a star-nosed mole or an aye-aye is, and he or she hasn't a clue. Okay, so that's not exactly fair, I had to look up the latter animal as well
Poor show Miss Admire, poor show, Aye-aye's are unfortunately almost extinct... partly due to de forestation but it doesn't help that the locals where they live consider them Demons and kill them on sight. I find them deathly cute!

Bonus round children! I present the endangered flightless parrot "Kakapo".

LunarTick said:
A lot of this behaviour control is to complete a reproduction cycle. Nature is pretty weird. I can see some pokemon based on these kind of things.
off topic here but one thing I have noticed in humans, is when they contract an STI they become incredibly horny just before the symptoms show.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
ColdStorage said:
I'm in full support of this, I've not played pokemon but I get the basic gist of it, its Trump cards but with wierd creatures right?.

Lauren Admire said:
Ask that same child what a star-nosed mole or an aye-aye is, and he or she hasn't a clue. Okay, so that's not exactly fair, I had to look up the latter animal as well
Poor show Miss Admire, poor show, Aye-aye's are unfortunately almost extinct... partly due to de forestation but it doesn't help that the locals where they live consider them Demons and kill them on sight. I find them deathly cute!

LunarTick said:
off topic here but one thing I have noticed in humans, is when they contract an STI they become incredibly horny just before the symptoms show.
How can they NOT be viewed as demons. Look at those eyes COME BACK FROM WHENCE THEE CAME, FOUL CREATURE.

That video clip is awesome.

Not to derail the comment thread though - we've looked at a bunch of different card games for insight, Pokemon was just the original inspiration. Trumps has been mentioned, as well as Ecofluxx. I wouldn't be surprised if Phylo had aspects of many different games.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Lauren Admire said:
ColdStorage said:

Lauren Admire said:

LunarTick said:
How can they NOT be viewed as demons. Look at those eyes COME BACK FROM WHENCE THEE CAME, FOUL CREATURE.

That video clip is awesome.
What?, its cute! big eyes and disproportionate hands?, its a real life Japanese cartoon character.

Will the Kakapo make it to special collectors edition of the cards?.

Not to derail the comment thread though - we've looked at a bunch of different card games for insight, Pokemon was just the original inspiration. Trumps has been mentioned, as well as Ecofluxx. I wouldn't be surprised if Phylo had aspects of many different games.
Why not use a fool proof card game as a basis first and work on from there?, like BlackJack or poker then go a bit crazy, in terms of how quickly a round can end to stop boredom setting in.

I know the average game of Trumps and Uno last's 4 years.