Rumor: Xbox 360 Slim in Production

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Xbox 360 Slim in Production

Leaked images may prove that Microsoft is planning to slim up the Xbox 360 sometime this year.

Over the years, console makers such as Nintendo and Sony have redesigned the first versions of their machines to reduce cost of production. Through Chinese forum A9VG [http://bbs.a9vg.com/read.php?tid=1393868&fpage=&toread=&uid=&page=1], two images of a rumored "slim" Xbox 360 have surfaced, fueling talk that Microsoft may do the same and announce a redesign sometime in 2010.

One of the images gives a full view of a supposed more compact Xbox 360 motherboard while the other focuses on the new combination of the CPU and the GPU into one chip. The changes made, if these images are not fakes, would most likely be something more than the incremental redesigns Microsoft has been regularly doing to cope with the issues that caused the RROD fiasco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93943-Xbox-360s-Death-Rate-is-54-2].

Over on Xbox 360 USB storage support [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/ben-heck-ponders-xbox-360-slim-motherboard-memory-unit-support/]. Microsoft may be moving away from memory units completely with the Xbox 360 slim (again, if it's even real).

There are even more rumors that Microsoft will announce a price cut on the Xbox 360 this year, and a new slim model could allow the company to do that more easily. Everything makes sense about this, especially with the release of Microsoft's Project Natal coming up, as it could bundle the two together and market the 360 to a new audience. You know, the audience that's used to flailing their arms around wildly while playing games on the Wii, a console the size of a TV dinner.

(Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5495181/rumor-new-xbox-360-model-slims-down-%5Bupdate%5D?skyline=true&s=i])

Dec 14, 2009
So they'll put the effort in to make a console that doesn't have such a high failure rate? kinda like what they should have done from the start? My 360 has only broken once. No other product would allow me to be so happy that it has only broken once.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
thank you for repeating it! huhuhu

so if the 360 and PS3 can copy the Wii control
why not copy each other's inventions.

MAXIMUM Profit right? the end justify the means?

(http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.181704-Xbox-360-Slim-Rumor#5372930)

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Wow, they thought that up all by themselves?

It's not as if a direct competitor did it first at all.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Just another move in the "copy the other guy's success" scheme that Sony and Microsoft seem to be doing...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Took them long enough to jump on the bandwagon. Sony has been doing this since the PSX...

Well, Hopefully it wont sacrifice on too much. but, would be nice to have something smaller..

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Lets just hope that halving the size doesn't double the heat factor. By that I mean a smaller console means there's less space for hot air to disperse, because as we all know Microsoft has no idea how an exhaust system is supposed to work. Nevertheless, I won't be picking one up, I'm already on my fourth Xbox.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
So they'll put the effort in to make a console that doesn't have such a high failure rate? kinda like what they should have done from the start? My 360 has only broken once. No other product would allow me to be so happy that it has only broken once.
Yeah no kidding right? This is why I never buy a next gen console immediately.
I always wait for a couple of years before buying so they can work out the bugs.
There used to be a time when companies would make sure a product worked perfectly before releasing it. Now they rely on paying customers to test the product for them.
Granted I know not everyone is as patient as I, but I only play single player anyway, and I can't afford to spend $60 on new games so I'm happy to wait for price drops.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
In all fairness to the Xbox 360, the new Elites have a much, MUCH better RROD rate. Which is good because it was really inexcusable early on.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Over on Xbox 360 USB storage support [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/ben-heck-ponders-xbox-360-slim-motherboard-memory-unit-support/]. Microsoft may be moving away from memory units completely with the Xbox 360 slim (again, if it's even real).
This make sense if this rumoured photo of the 360 Slim is to be believed.

Apart from it's smaller size, the most obvious features are 3 USB ports but no MU slot or apparent place for an external X-Box 360 HDD.

The extra USB port on the front and the recent announcement of USB storage support seems to address this problem somewhat, IF this photo is genuine.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Just another move in the "copy the other guys success" scheme that the big three seem to be doing...
Making an electronic device smaller and more efficient over time is only a natural progression of Technology. Calling Microsoft out on downsizing their consoles and saying they are copying Sony/Nintendo in doing so is just stupid.

Also: Natal may be considered a motion control, but the method in which it achieves it is very different then that which is used by both the PS3 and the Wii.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Yeah...

A price cut would come in handy, though. I'd like to buy an elite so that I can keep it entirely to myself and get a 250gig harddrive along with it.

The life of a student requires price cuts. Many price cuts.

[sub]Or else we don't eat...[/sub]

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
I have a 360 so I am not going to rush out to pre-order one if this is true. However, if mine does RROD, than I am expecting the slim as a replacement

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
´Î?´úÖ÷»ú²»ÉÏÍø±¾ÉíÒ?­??Á??àÀÖ?£¬µ¥»úÓÎ?¶Ô×?çÄ?Ì?»¯µÄÄÚÈ?¬Íæ¹ý??´ÎÒ?­ÉóÃÀ?ÀÍÁ?¬ÏñCOD?ÁÐÓÎ?£¬²»ÉÏÍø??Ï?¬¸ù±¾ÌåÑ?³öÓÎ?ÀÖ?£¬COD?ÁÐÏúÊ??ÍÔÚÏßÓÎ?Ê??»¿ªµ?¬Æä?Íæ??¹âÅ?¢²»É?¨?£¬Ê×ÏÈÊ?ÔÖ÷»úÔì³?ÄÉ?¦£¬Æä´?àÊýÈËÈÏ???¹âÅ?ãÒ?¬Âòµú?´ÎÉÙÔò¼¸ÅÌ?¼¸Å?àÔò20ÅÌ30ÅÌ?Âò£¬Äêµ×ËãÏÂ??×?Âò3ÖÁ5ÕÅÕý°æÁ?¬Î??¸?ÅóÓÑÔÚÎ?Ä????¬¶¼ÍêÁËÕý°?ÏÖÔ?¼ÔÚÍæ?Ãü4£¬ºÍ?Ãü6£¬ÎÊËûÃ?¹Íæ±ðµÄ?ÕùÀàÓÎ?Â?ð£ºÍæ¹ýCODÍøÂç¶Ô?¶?ðµÄ??ÀàÓÎ?ûÐË?Á?¡ÎÒÔÚLIVEÉ?Ä??¹âÅÌÍøÓÑÔÚCOD6¸üÐÂÖ?¸ºõÎÞ?ÐÒÃ?Ó?ÄÒ?­·ÅÆú360£¬Ó?ÄÂòÁË?ú¹??ÄÍæÕý°?

This is what a typical post on that forum looks like to me. Didn't even bother to look for the pictures when all I could see were a few words and numbers seperated by tons of blocks.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
My current Xbox is stuttering, probably on its last few months, so yea I see a slim in my future if this is true. The price cut will be nice as well.