The Isolation of Random Matchmaking

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
The Isolation of Random Matchmaking

StarCraft 2's match-making could leave players out in the cold.

Read Full Article

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
took me three times to get to the article but I read it

I disagree to an extent
I think that you should play anyone who is about three or four levels from you

this way new players wont get their asses handed to them and veterans will still get a challenge

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Honestly, I've found that the game is really at its best when you're playing someone at your skill level. When it's evenly matched, and could go either way, it's an incredible - and exhausting - experience.

I see the benefits of letting people kind of skew it one way or the other, though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I never really saw an issue. I tend to avoid RTS games like the plague, unless they have "campaign co-op", so this never hurts me.

And in shooters, see Johnny Gat said in Saint's Row 1.

"Bullets still kill mothafuckas, right?"

Fighting games could DEFINITELY use better match making, though. Dear god. The pain!

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
I sorta thought that's what the ladder was for back in SC1, if you wanted competitive play, you could always hang out in the Ladder channel and setup games. Granted, it wasn't perfect but it provided some sort of metric. Does SC II even utilize any form of ladder system?

Maybe there just needs to be a secondary matchmaking option that allows open (random) matchmaking as well as a the standard matchmaking efforts. Doesn't really affect me, I only play SC with people I know.

Apr 28, 2008
What I don't understand is why not do both?

Sure it would cost a lot of money, but then again this is Blizzard, who most definitly has the money to do this.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
No way does the comparison between UT and SC work, because :

1. You can turn your mind half way off and still play at least decent in UT. Playing a "decent" match in SC means you need at least a hundred apms and brain power to keep thinking what and how to proceed next. After a 30 minute match of SC with a opponent on par I, at least, feel a bit tired and if I want to keep playing I probably won`t go for a second helping of brain melting exercise.

2. Playing with far better opponents, especially the way SC2 is evolving, is not going to be any fun because if you have 100 apms and the micro to go with it and you are playing against some Chan Chi Mao dude with 400 apms and direct brain interface to all his units you are not just going to lose, you are going to lose for ever and ever because not all people can play this game the way pros do it.

The idea of getting to know the competition and all that seems nice though.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
There is a straightforward solution. Allow lower ranked people to play against higher ranked people if they choose but don't allow higher ranked people to choose to play against lower ranked people.

And of course the higher ranked people would have to allow the lower ranked people to play against them since that would prevent the noobs from "griefing" the pros by wasting their time in a match that doesn't have any rank benefit.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
works for FPS well enough but in RTS not so much. as long as they keep the User map settings option ill be happy. i almost never play rank games. ill play the first few games, lose for the first time, and never play it again.

Dont like losing and isnt a competitor. Im the coop against AI guy (yeah i know thats weak sauce) but id rather watch a competitive match than to be in one.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Is the matchmaking the only way to play on Battle.net? Surely you have some sort of friends list, or the ability to create a private game and invite specific players, if you find some sort of group to hang out with. Are you basically looking for a ranking system similar to UT that allows you to join a totally random game, regardless of skill level, even if it has little to no effect on your ranking if you win? It seems like you still have the group aspect of it.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
i think it should show you all the matches, say, within 10 levels of you. then you pick a match, then the person you're picking decides yes or no, meaning you could choose to fight someone alot higher, but not you a 30 vs a 5, and it would be engoyable for all.

ssManae

Aug 13, 2009
There's a bit of flaw in the whole argument at the moment, though. Yes, it works for the ladder system, which will be in live, but at the moment that's all we have in the beta. There's going to be more social tools that will allow you to play non-ladder games against anyone of your choice instead of just random people at your skill. Even now, you can still do that to an extent with the friend's list, grouping, and inviting people to your non-ladder games. Live should make it even easier to face good opponents in scrimmage matches, though it will require their consent instead of just "a newbie joining a pro server" as described for UT.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I never really saw an issue. I tend to avoid RTS games like the plague, unless they have "campaign co-op", so this never hurts me.

And in shooters, see Johnny Gat said in Saint's Row 1.

"Bullets still kill mothafuckas, right?"

Fighting games could DEFINITELY use better match making, though. Dear god. The pain!

"No! Oh god! OW! NO DON'T! GAH! Wait! Ayane doesn't have a fireball attack! *Gurk*"

Rematch? Y [N]

One thing MM does hold over servers and communitis though - it makes it harder for friends/clans/teams to lure in or roam around and beat up on PUGs.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
With regards to the sense of community and continually testing yourself against the same opponents. Once you have been ranked into a skill bracket, those brackets are broken into divisions. It seems that when possible it will match you against these people first, then people in your skill bracket and then move outward as needed.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Meh...
I never really play strategy games online. I tend to stick to multiplayer. So... whatever system Blizzard uses for multiplayer, I'm not going to care so long as the single player is good.

In fact I'm not really sure why I'm posting this...

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Idea:
Bring back the "Easy, medium, hard" options and apply them to the ladder. Allow the players to choose what tier they want to face, and thus what challenge they want to have.