Human Torch to Play Captain America?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Human Torch to Play Captain America?

Rumors are buzzing around suggesting that an actor has been chosen to play Captain America, one who will be fairly familiar to Marvel movie fans.

If you've seen the Fantastic Four [http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Four-Widescreen-Ioan-Gruffudd/dp/B00005JNTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278964107&sr=1-1] movies, then you'll probably recognize Chris Evans, as he played Johnny Storm, AKA The Human Torch. The current rumor is however, that Evans has been offered the part of Captain America in the 2011 movie, ending months of speculation over who would play one of Marvel's premier heroes.

The deal is said to include three Captain America movies, plus the Avengers film and likely cameos in other movies as well. The rumors are currently unconfirmed either by Marvel or by Evan's representatives.

Personally, it doesn't sit well with me that Evans is to play Steve Rogers, given his still fairly recent turn as The Human Torch; it would be like Kirsten Dunst playing the Black Widow or James Marsden playing Daredevil. But compared to the millions that Marvel must be hoping will see the movie, comic book fans - the type of people who are going to care about this sort of thing - are a fairly small minority, so it's best not to count it out just yet.

Source: THR [http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/03/chris-evans-captain-america.html] via io9 [http://io9.com/5497806/will-chris-evans-yield-to-cap-movie-offer]

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Personally, it doesn't sit well with me that Evans is to play Steve Rogers, given his still fairly recent turn as The Human Torch; it would be like Kirsten Dunst playing the Black Widow or James Marsden playing Daredevil.
I feel the same way. Someone who hasn't been in a Marvel movie would be a better choice.

Though will it really matter if the dreaded musical elements actually are included?

lanternmiller

Mar 20, 2010
I didn't hate Evans, but the FF movies sucked.

Wheather he succeeds or fails will be based on director Joe Johnston.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
There would be absolutely nothing right about him playing Captain America.
He kinda fit The Human Torch role but he just doesn't like typically 'American' enough.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This news doesn't really bug me. I liked a few of his movies earlier this decade (like Cellular, London, and Not Another Teen Movie) so I don't hate him or anything. Still, he is nowhere near the ideal candidate for Captain America.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Since Fantastic Four movie was awful and I haven't seen this guy in anything else I can't say I'm ecstatic about this.

But then again nothing I've heard about Captain America makes me excited.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I hope he can act better than he did in The Fantastic Four. That movie was just...such crap.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
I'm hoping they find someone better, who hasn't already graced the silver screen on Marvel's behalf, but if he's all they could find, they could have done worse.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I keep saying it (Admittedly in jest) but seriously, just cast Will Smith as Captain America and everything will be fine.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
No! Captain Freedomland is the symbol of all that is good and true! He needs a good actor to portray him. Someone like Will Smith.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Oh fuck no, not that talentless douche. The only thing worse than him in the two awful Fantastic Four films was Jessica "Seriously, how many blowjobs did it take" Alba. And that's saying something.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I think he's a decent actor and in the first FF (didn't see the 2nd one) I think he did a great job playing the one character who really embraces his new-found power. I also think he was good in Push [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465580/] (which I liked even though I know most hated it...thought it better than Fantastic Four, at least.) Thus, I think he could definitely do justice to Captain America.

However, I also think that since he's already been seen as an official Marvel character it'd be strange seeing him as a different one, even if there wasn't ever a plan to see him as Johnny Storm again.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
They better not mess up Cap. This guy looks too young, though he was fine in FF.

MUA2 got it right. Will Smith is good enough that, even though it is out of his usual range, I actually bet he could pull it off. Bruce Willis, well I'm guessing that was a joke XD, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and would go see it.

lanternmiller

Mar 20, 2010
Archemetis said:
I keep saying it (Admittedly in jest) but seriously, just cast Will Smith as Captain America and everything will be fine.
RAGRYGRLRABLAH

@(#*@&%ing @*#&it! Every time I hear someone say this it make me WANT TO DIE. If this happend I would kill myself. Hearing this sentence causes this feeling of nails being dragged in my skull.

And when you say* "No." they just say that your racist. And that too makes me WANT TO DIE.

*Shout until your lungs bleed.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I can't even think who would be a good Captain America. You need someone who looks like he could actually kick ass, but has the acting chops to make an inspiring speech about liberty and justice, and could believably pass for a WWII vet. The problem is most "action stars" today are scrawny, snarky pretty-boys.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
No. No. No.

He's already the human torch, he doesn't fit the look, and he lacks the stoic nature of old Cap.

NO.