Mafia II Preview

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mafia II Preview

It's been nine years since the first Mafia, and sandbox games have evolved dramatically since. Is Mafia II up to par in a post-GTAIV world? We check out 2K Czech's crime saga to find out.

An unforeseen benefit of setting a sandbox action game in the mid 20th century: cell phones didn't exist yet. So unlike Niko Bellic of Grand Theft Auto IV, Vito Scarletta, the star of 2K Czech's Mafia II, doesn't get the perks of the digital age - he can't pull out a PDA to call up his lawyer girlfriend to get the fuzz off his tail. But here's the upside of that: he never has to deal with a girlfriend in the first place.

For the producers of Mafia II, this sandbox Mafioso experience should feature no social calls, no "minigame tasks," none of that nonsense that may have spoiled GTAIV for gamers hoping for a game full of non-stop criminal mayhem. Mafia II has one fundamental focus. "It's about being a mobster," 2K's Denby Grace said. No more, no less.

The tale of the game, which spans a decade in the hard knock life of Vito as he goes from rags to riches, was penned by the writers of the original Mafia and is full of enough "goombah" talk to make Martin Scorcese blush. Narrative is one of the key aspects of Mafia II for 2K, but creating a world's not just about the writing, 2K said. They wrote their story, and then, as Grace relates, "knew we had to make 10 square miles of city to fit it."

And it's quite the city, a fictional metropolis called Empire Bay roughly modeled after New York City. 2K Czech's Illusion Engine renders all of Empire Bay's geometry in real-time so that, as 2K boasts, you never see a single loading screen whether you're cruising the streets in a muscle car listening to classic period music or lounging in the best clubs dirty money can buy you.

Though the afternoon streets of Empire Bay were lined with skyscrapers, passersby and some of the coolest relics of automobilia past (muscle car freaks should be on alert), I didn't see much of it. Inside's where most of the action of the demo 2K Czech shared with me took place. Vito and his best friend Joe needed to take out a rival gang boss who's spending the day in his deluxe penthouse. After getting dressed in window washer disguises, they headed on up to the penthouse and set up a bomb in a boardroom with a huge panoramic view of the city.

Now, for whatever reason, this was the kind of bomb that has to be detonated from the other side of that window, so Vito and Joe went up to the roof. There they found they found what I suspect was the real reason for bringing them up there: people to shoot. Gunplay in Mafia II seems to basically be Goodfellas of War: you take cover behind objects and peek out with your Tommy Gun or period piece of choice, and take aim. The guns are as booming and heavy as the weaponry in Gears, lending a more shooter-like feel to the gunplay than I've encountered in most sandbox titles. Headshots, as always, work nicely.

Once Vito and Joe disposed of the poor sap standing by the window washing platform they were there to use, the two got on board and lowered themselves down until they were facing the boardroom. Boom went the bomb, but the target happened to be taking a potty break when it went off, and was shielded from the blast by the bathroom door. How convenient.

Mafia II certainly has the details down pat. As Vito and Joe chased down their man, I watched wine bottles and beer bottles shatter as bullets flew, sofas and pillows start leaking padding when they were used as cover. And a conveniently placed ornate window provided a fine demo of just how much care 2K Czech has poured into making their glass the most fun to shoot in any game in some time.

And it's not just the little things, either. For a game that's so intent on producing some genuine fiction (to use the fancy word), 2K Czech needs to nail the atmosphere of the period, and from what I saw they've done a pretty fine job. From the "cinematic" soundtrack of 40s and 50s tunes (you can't customize the music), to the late afternoon glow of the city streets that made every block of Empire Bay look like an iconic snapshot of the classic New York City of our dreams, and especially in the deftly scripted and acted cutscenes, Mafia II's world and its inhabitants seem more alive than any sandbox city since Grand Theft Auto IV.

Liberty City felt genuine enough to almost make you want to play it realistically, but in Mafia II that won't be a choice: Vito's going to have to play things more cool than videogame protagonists normally do. If you fail a big heist, you can't just run out into the streets and try to rob another bank: you'll have to lay low for a while (the game'll jump ahead in time) and let the heat die down before going at it again. Same goes for driving: as in the first game, traffic violations will actually net you attention from the fuzz (though if you're tenacious enough the cops will give up).

The point, though, 2K insists, is that Vito's in the mafia, and how we play Mafia II should never break the fiction of its world. Vito's not just a random goon like Niko. He doesn't want to risk getting caught by cops for speeding, it's bad business. Nor does he want to take his girlfriend out to play pool. Or go bowling with his dimwitted cousin. When, I ask you, was the last time a mobster went bowling?

Look for Mafia II this fall on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Oooh. Cool!

Mafia was a fun game.

By the way what you mean customize the music? You cant choose the soundtrack it passes or you cant mod it?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I LOVED the first Mafia. Just an epic story and great game.
I'm greatly looking forward to this. Everything I've been hearing has pointed to it being another great game!

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
"Dammit bottle! I hate you so much! *bang*"

This is the first I've heard of the game, and I like the Jazz Age setting. But:

Liberty City felt genuine enough to almost make you want to play it realistically, but in Mafia II that won't be a choice: Vito's going to have to play things more cool than videogame protagonists normally do. If you fail a big heist, you can't just run out into the streets and try to rob another bank: you'll have to lay low for a while (the game'll jump ahead in time) and let the heat die down before going at it again. Same goes for driving: as in the first game, traffic violations will actually net you attention from the fuzz (though if you're tenacious enough the cops will give up).

That doesn't sound that'll translate into the game well. Waiting is rarely fun in this sort of environment. Still, fingers crossed.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
It sounds and looks alot better than Godfather 2 and has my interest. I have been following this for a while now and know about the areas you left out, and it seems to be shaping up to be a pretty good game.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
oliveira8 said:
That doesn't sound that'll translate into the game well. Waiting is rarely fun in this sort of environment. Still, fingers crossed.
Yeah, that's all really in theory to me still - I didn't actually see things like time skips or traffic stops during my demo. We'll see how it pans out, but at least they're trying something different, right?

oliveira8 said:
By the way what you mean customize the music? You cant choose the soundtrack it passes or you cant mod it?
You won't be able to change the music when you're driving during certain sequences - the designers will choose an appropriate song to heighten the dramatic effect of the gameplay. So no moments like in GTA when you're killing dudes while Bob Marley plays or something.

I'm pretty sure the PC version will let you mod it (like people wouldn't find a way anyway), but 2K probably wouldn't want you to - the music's a key part of this historical atmosphere and all.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Double post, blech.
Hate it when that happens...

But yeah, I'm glad to see this. The major thing that I hated in GTA4 was all that crap you listed: I just wanted to cause a riot, and the game was dead set against it. Hence, I like Saint's Row.

I'll keep a weather eye out on this one. Could shape up to be quite entertaining.

Solivagus

Dec 2, 2008
Sweet! Loved the first game. I've been trying to install it again, but ever since Vista (don't laugh) I've not been able to.

The second one sounds like it will be a great game as well. Even with waiting to let the heat die down. Though I doubt they will force players through a certain amount of time away from the story/missions/etc.

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
Mafia I had some flaws as well, aggrevating 'steal the racecar without damaging it under x minutes' mission and pedestrians crossing the highway every single time as you drive by.. There are some gameplay videos of the preview on gametrailers here [http://www.gametrailers.com/game/mafia-ii/5403].. If you look closely the pedestrians still cross the road without looking and the gameplay and driving don't look so interesting. Just have to wait and see I guess.