Michael Atkinson Steps Down

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Michael Atkinson Steps Down

Australian Attorney-General and enemy of gamers everywhere Michael Atkinson resigned his post today following a poor result at the polls for the Australian Labor party.

Australian gamers can breathe a sigh of relief today as Michael Atkinson, the man single-handedly responsible for preventing the creation of an R18+ rating for videogames in the country, has stepped down from his position as Attorney-General of South Australia.

Atkinson claimed it would be irresponsible to create a by-election with the Australian Labor Party's majority standing at just one. He also cited a desire to see his son Johnno play soccer as another reason for his retirement from front-line politics.

"[Johnno] was supposed to play his first game last night at 7pm and like so many times in my time in Parliament I wasn't there," said Atkinson. "I am pretty disappointed about that. So I resolved that every time Johnno walks on the pitch this year his dad is going to be there even if it embarrasses the hell out of him."

Atkinson will stay in parliament until the next election in 2014, but will serve as a back-bencher, saying: "I think there ought to be renewal in the ministry. I think there are talented people on the Labor backbench who deserve a go."

This is significant news for Australian gamers, who have long had to suffer under a system that lacked an adult rating for videogames, and potentially will bring Australia in line with other countries, provided that Atkinson's replacement is sympathetic to the gamers' plight.

Thank you to everyone who sent tips in about this, there are too many of you to name individually, but you know who you are.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
People, I say we all toast to this!

Bring out your Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, or any other kind of disgusting beverage you drink while gaming. This must be celebrated!

I call dibs on the wish-bone!

[sub]Oh, and as a side note, I'm not surprised his son is embarrassed about him going to his soccer games. [/sub]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
And Jack Thompson will take his place!

Nah. Good news. AU games might not get shafted anymore.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
They're still stuck with him for 4 more years, albeit to a lesser degree.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
H-he's gone? Like no longer in power gone? And this isn't a dream?![HEADING=1]WoooooHoooooo!!! It's time to *party*! Party like rock stars![/HEADING]

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
You spelled 'Michael' wrong in the title.

OT: Hopefully his replacement will go through with the R 18+ rating.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Let me say . . . EPIC MOTHER FUCKING WIN FOR THE AUSSIE GAMERS!

it's about damned TIME you guys got a proper rating for their games so they can actually PLAY the same things we get out here in the US.

Hopefully now Heavy Rain will get out to them . . . not that Yahtzee hasn't already played it.

revolverwolf

Jul 1, 2008
Am I the only person worried that this is the start of something awful?

What if the next guy is even worse?

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Interesting, well enjoy it Aussies, ill be off in my Canadia not really caring about what this man does.