246: Legend of the Drunken Mashter

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Legend of the Drunken Mashter

There are two types of players in fighting games: those who study each character?s special moves in order to most effectively defeat their opponents, and those who just mash buttons. Brendan Main tests whether mashing is a viable strategy in fighting games both old and new.

Read Full Article

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Brendan Main said:
Or perhaps you're like me, and you hit buttons until someone is dead.
Yeahhh, I'm like you alright! I've never been a fan of fighting games, and churning out those combos just gave headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome. Glad to see I'm not the only one! :)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't TRY to button mash, but in the heat of an online match, my mind just goes blank. Rendering hours of practice with a character useless past arcade mode.

mesoforte

Jan 5, 2010
The last fighting game I played was SC:III on the Gamecube. I didn't button mash so much as I can't seem to block worth anything. I either hit the button too early, or the controller doesn't register that I hit the button. :\

So, I always use Nightmare offensively. It really devastates a lot of people that play. XD

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Hmm wouldn't that strategy (actually, non-strategy) be esily beaten by projectiles? Or maybe the old hadoken+shouryuken combo? I can't believe nobody used it against you.

Vert

Feb 14, 2009
Great article, but I must I was surprised to learn that alcohol was not involved in the making of it. ^_^

But I'm also curious: apart from the final game, was there any other where your 'strategy' was proved to be, at least, viable?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Im guessing the guys he played against blew at fighting games. Without a guide I'd know what I was doing in Street fighter, King of fighters, Mortal kombat, Tekken, DoA, MvC2...

Generally you lose the odd one against mashing. The sun shines, even on a dogs arse, somedays. Best example is when I beat my brother blindfolded on Tekken 3 with Eddie Gourdo. I told him it was Zen Tekken. I picked Eddie as he plays more like a rhythm action game.

Finally none of the UFC games allow for button mashing, you just get tapped or ground and pounded.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
This reminded me of a time in which I fought a masher. And I learned that skill did beat the random smashing if you know what to do.

It was Soul Cailibur II, and I had just given the controller to my teacher at the time. He was a smug guy, feeling that fighting games were nothing more than mashers. I was a little rusty, but I had experience.

Once I had shaken the rust off, I was a professional. His random swings and special moves i simply dodged, and then charged, beating the hell out of him, then stepping away. His flurry of random moves began again, and I easily dodged them, then kicked his character in the face.

Another round, another set of characters, same result. I'm not sure if it goes for all fighting games, but sometimes, Skill does win the day.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Yeah! Getting beaten up by a cactus in a sombrero! I wish I had Live again so I could go back on SF4 and beat all the Kens out there.

TheMatt

Jan 26, 2009
"I vetoed it"

Fucking epic. I had to stifle the giggling as too many people came to my cubicle to find out what was so funny.

Well done, sir.

DaveMc

Jul 29, 2008
Great article, and one I will remember the next time my nine-year-old daughter beats me up using Pai in Virtua Fighter. (I can usually stop her flurry of punches, eventually, but sometimes I, um, let her win. Yeah, that's it.)

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I believe mashing works better in 3d fighters which normally have simpler commands. All your luck is needed to pull off a Final Atomic Buster with mashing.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
mesoforte said:
The last fighting game I played was SC:III on the Gamecube. I didn't button mash so much as I can't seem to block worth anything. I either hit the button too early, or the controller doesn't register that I hit the button. :\

So, I always use Nightmare offensively. It really devastates a lot of people that play. XD
For fun I see how long I can play against my friends with Nightmare without blocking. Usually at least 6 rounds, often more, and I'd often beat them with a huge health handicap by just rushing at them until they left the ring forcibly. :D
Pity I can't really use him in the new one.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Ha Ha Ha, thats awesome. Im a self confessed button masher, No matter how hard i try to not button mash, i always do. It never helps me, but by the looks of this, i will have to go and get some "Better" fighting games