CD Projekt Unveils The Witcher 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CD Projekt Unveils The Witcher 2

[gametrailers=63500]​
Months after an "early alpha" video was leaked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94812-Witcher-2-Trailer-Surfaces-on-YouTube] online, The Witcher 2 has finally, officially, broken the surface, and it looks hot.

We all have a "thing." Something we care about deeply and intensely, that nobody else does. We can babble about these things for hours, imparting upon those around us the benefit of our knowledge and wisdom, oblivious to the fact that they could not possibly care less. For some people, it's giant Japanese robots, or the latest tomfoolery from Apple; for me, it's The Witcher [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-Pc/dp/B000R2XJJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278963337&sr=1-2].

So you better believe that I'm pretty excited about the fact that CD Projekt Red has finally taken the wraps off The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings with a sweet new cinematic trailer now up on website [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-official-the-witcher/63500], meanwhile, has been overhauled to open with a stylized "2" that links to a new Witcher 2 forum.

The Witcher is noteworthy for two reasons: First, because unlike certain other, more recent RPGs that promised a dark, gritty game world and tough, morally ambiguous choices, The Witcher actually delivered, and second, because against all odds, it was a huge success. Despite being a PC-only debut release from some Polish studio nobody had ever heard of, The Witcher sold over one million copies within a year of its 2007 release, clearly tapping into a widespread hunger for non-traditional role-playing action.

CD Projekt Red is currently targeting a Q1 2011 release date for The Witcher 2; more information about the game is expected to be released soon, so stay tuned!

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
It looks lovely, but am i the only one who notices how horrifyingly bad the lip synching is? I'm sure it's just because it's an early build, but still.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I've been hearing that this will be available for the Xbox 360, so i should finally be able to check this out. I missed out on the first game.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
While I'm quite excited at the prospect, I have to point out that Witcher 2 was announced months ago, with early gameplay footage released, so technically it's been unveiled already. But still, good news! :)

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
I've been hearing that this will be available for the Xbox 360, so i should finally be able to check this out. I missed out on the first game.
One was in development but it got cancelled awhile ago. Whether this will be revived, one can always hope...

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
That was awesome. Geralt's looking good. There's much more emotion to his face. The Witcher is one of my favorite games. This'll be on my list of must have games for 2011. I only hope that they do the game up right, at the start, instead of having to release an Enhanced Edition to fix a bunch of bugs. I also hope they continue they excellent fan support, with free content and highlighting the best that the modding community has to offer.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
If this has only now broken the surface, how come I already know about the sequel, read an article in the top Russian gaming magazine who did an in-depth preview of the game and even know the subtitle - "Assassins of Kings".
I'm so confused.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Same as Bioshock 2. Thanks but no thanks. If I wasn`t interested enough to finish the first one I sure as hell ain`t going to bother with this one.

Also in my alternative reality this game wasn`t such a great hit as people seem to mention, oh well...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ahhh. Curious! Looks pretty sweet so far!

If anything like first will b e awesomely epic

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
The Witcher was such a profound experience for me. I remember sitting hours at the time in front of my woefully underpowered computer rejoicing at the stuttering though beautiful sceneries and fantastic plot & dialogue. Then came the directors cut and the great was made sublime. And this happened at a time when I had already become somewhat jaded at the industry in general, which made it all the more important to me.

Fantastic news.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Apparently a few of you missed the "months after an early alpha video" part. You know, the first sentence. We've all known about The Witcher 2 since CDPR acknowledged that the leak was real, but that's a far cry from an official announcement and trailer release.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Yay and nay same time. Yay because its always a new game to ponder about and a cRPG to boot, and never can have enough of those, also yay because CDP is my home ocuntry dev and retailer of games so wishing em best (even tho i hate the fact they so badly insit on selling me translated games with translated voice-overs..thanks to digital distribution i can avoid that <.<).

And there is nay because i know the novels that the whole concept is based upon, they were nice meaty fantasy books, but somehow any attempt at transfering it to other medias just doesnt work well (we had a movie/tv series based on it, it was like utter crap) ;/

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Man, this looks Witchin'
I'm glad CD Projekt managed to make it through first release! That one's always the hardest :)
Congrats to our Eastern European friends!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Awesome.

...Now, to finish the first game I got for Christmas two years ago... I was put off by the loaaading screeeen tiiiimes. And my crappy PC.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I just want one feature...fast travel. If they add nothing else I will be happy. I hate the long trek between locations in The Witcher, it is the one thing keeping me from actually playing it.

Off Topic: People should buy a copy of The Witcher if only to support a team that decided to treat it's customers like human beings instead of douchebags.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Yeah, I was hoping for this! The first Witcher was awesome, and this looks even better! This is definetly going in my to-buy pile.