Hollywood Execs Still Want to Do Mario, Zelda Movies

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hollywood Execs Still Want to Do Mario, Zelda Movies

Nintendo of America big cheese Reggie Fils-Aime says that movie producers ask the videogame giant about the possibility of a Mario or Zelda movie "all the time."

In 1993, people tried to turn Super Mario Bros. into a movie. While it's considered by some people to be a guilty pleasure on par with the original Mortal Kombat film, the general opinion is that the flick - starring Bob Hoskins as Mario, John Leguizamo as Luigi, and Dennis Hopper as King Koopa - was pretty damn terrible.

That hasn't stopped Hollywood from trying to convince Nintendo to do another take, though, according to everybody's favorite NOA boss. When asked by the LA Times [http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/18/business/la-fi-ct-facetime18-2010mar18?pg=2] if film producers and executives expressed any interest in acquiring movie rights to Nintendo's classic franchises like The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario or Metroid, Reggie responded that they did, and quite frequently at that. "All the time," he answered.

"The message [we tell them is], 'Thank you for the interest.' There have been certain [people] that we have talked in more detail with. But I think in the end, because we are a content company and are passionate about our franchises, it will be few and far between that actual deals are done to bring our franchises to life in a different way. These are our children."

And Nintendo isn't going to hand over its children to just about anyone, you know. Besides, with Captain Lou having sadly passed on, would you really trust anyone to Do the Mario?

I still can't believe Dennis Hopper was Bowser. That's so weird.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240226])

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
good, and rightfully so. there are already enough abominations out there thanks to crappy hollywood script writers who don't seem to understand you can't quite capture the essence of a game in an hour and a half movie using the same recycled hollywood film formula that plagues every single movie we have to put up with these days.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
A metroid or zelda game could work since there's a story already there. Whereas the mario "story" does not really lend itself to a film

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
I loved that old Mario Bros. movie... granted it was probably cuz of the dinosaurs and the fact i was 5!

yeah i liked mortal combat too... But i dare not watch them again, as my fond memories will more than likley be tarnished.

Khell_Sennet said:
I want a Kirby movie. It's much harder to botch CG, let the Dreamworks or Pixar teams tackle it and I guarantee a hit. Madagascar's team or Wall-E's Team, how could either one fail to make Kirby?
Actually I could see that working...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's kind of sad seeing Bob Hoskins in the SMB movie, he's far too good for such a film. He was especially great in Hook and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

P.S. Thanks

tsu-money

Jul 27, 2009
Has Hollywood not learned you just can't take some franchises and turn them into a good film?

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I would denote a car bomb in front of the studio that attempts to make a Zelda movie. Stop fucking with what we love! There is no way any one could make a Zelda movie that would be good enough not to piss every fan off.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
*slaps hollywood execs* NO. BAD.

History has taught us that video game franchises just don't translate well to movies. Look at Mortal Combat, Double Dragon, heck, look at the flaming turd that was the original Super Mario Bros movie.

Khell_Sennet said:
I want a Kirby movie. It's much harder to botch CG, let the Dreamworks or Pixar teams tackle it and I guarantee[sup]*[/sup] a hit. Madagascar's team or Wall-E's Team, how could either one fail to make Kirby?
If Pixar did it, it might be good..

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Everyone would go to see the new Mario or Zelda movie, if only to confirm how shitty it is.

That alone makes one hefty profit and Hollywood knows this.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Hollywood had their shot with the Mario Bros. & to rip on the poster, it was no Movie either.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I love Nintendo's approach to this, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out any movies based on their franchises. They've already proven that they can make some at least moderately enjoyable, though often nonsensical, films with the Pokemon series.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm glad Nintendo can stand up to Hollywood like this. At a certain point it becomes difficult to bribe an ultra-rich company with more money after all.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Since Zelda was based on Legend and Metroid was based on Alien maybe they should just phone up Ridley Scott and ask him for ideas.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would love to see a Zelda film. I'm not a fan of the games but I still understand they are epic!

Little dubious on another Mario though...