Nintendo's 3DS Will Be at E3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo's 3DS Will Be at E3

Nintendo's newly announced 3D handheld will be on the show floor at E3 this June, so we'll be able to see how well portable 3D gaming works for ourselves.

Hey! You there! On the off chance you missed it, yesterday Nintendo announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99347-Nintendo-Reveals-New-3D-Handheld] the existence of a proper successor to its wildly popular Nintendo DS handheld. Codenamed the "3DS," this new hardware generation would let gamers play in 3D without the need for clunky glasses.

The reaction from gamers and the press alike seemed to largely be: "...huh, well how 'bout that?" We'd had rumors that Nintendo was working on its next handheld for quite some time, but more surprising than the developer's jump to 3D was that this potentially-megaton new announcement just sort of... happened. There was no lead-up to it, it didn't happen at a major show like GDC or PAX - it was a quiet little press release that went out overnight. Why do it now, and not wait until all eyes were on Nintendo at E3?

According to Nintendo spokesman Ken Toyoda, it was because the device would be playable at E3 - and the company wanted to give the press and consumers a heads-up to the platform's existence. "We wanted to give the gaming industry a head's up about what to expect from Nintendo at E3," Toyoda told the New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/technology/24nintendo.html]. "We'll invite people to play with the new device then."

So there you have it, folks. Yesterday's announcement was just a heads-up from Nintendo. We'll do our best to get a hands-on with the 3DS this June, because let's be honest: Handheld 3D gaming? That could be really cool if it works. If it doesn't work, though, then it might just be another Virtual Boy.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
CORRODED SIN said:
Can they call it the "3DS" as that is a 3D modeling program from Autodesk?
If I recall the 3DS is just the journalistic codename for it since it doesn't have a name yet and/or its actual name hasn't been revealed.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I eagerly await this new device. I hope it is everything I could hope for and more in a 3D game.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
AceDiamond said:
CORRODED SIN said:
If I recall the 3DS is just the journalistic codename for it since it doesn't have a name yet and/or its actual name hasn't been revealed.
Oh ya, good point.

Why is everyone excited about the "new technology" of 3D (in general)? It looks like the DS just uses a motion sensor built in to calculate its angle from the assumed starting point, so it adjusts the visuals on screen to make a 3D effect. To me it looks like a waste of programming...and an invitation to clutter game store shelves further.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Really looking forward to how they are going to make this work...should be curious.

Wish I could be there to see it myself, lol

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
I don't think it's a case of being another virtual boy or not. if the gameplay still stays as consistently fun on the DS, the 3D gimmick might die out, but the new processing capabilities will make it ever more wildly popular.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
From initial impressions, if Sony doesn't do something amazing with the next PSP (ei. PSP2 phone maybe? etc.) my next handheld purchase will probably be the 3DS.

Altho, I'm fully expecting Sony to revealed the PSP2 in E3 too. Very excited about this year's E3 so far.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
CORRODED SIN said:
AceDiamond said:
CORRODED SIN said:
Oh ya, good point.

Why is everyone excited about the "new technology" of 3D (in general)? It looks like the DS just uses a motion sensor built in to calculate its angle from the assumed starting point, so it adjusts the visuals on screen to make a 3D effect. To me it looks like a waste of programming...and an invitation to clutter game store shelves further.
I think this is only the case in the 3D picture finder DSi software that was released. there's no info on the actual mechanic that they're going to use.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Yay more 3D games so we can all focus on graphics over gameplay even more.

Goodbye sidescrolling fun handheld games, I will miss ye.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Can 3d really work on the ds, I mean my hand is in front of the touch screen all the time with any of the ones that use those controls.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Yes okay Nintendo... Innovation and all that, you wanna make stupid amounts of money like you did with the Wii. But for the love of god not everything is a great idea. The DSi for example. Remove the GBA slot and put a rubbish camera in? Bad idea. I hope to god my DS Lite doesn't break because if I can't find a replacement Lite I refuse to buy that expensive paperweight.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Nintendo can't really do wrong with me, so I'm going to buy it. Knowing Nintendo they'll probably make it into a good handheld

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Yes okay Nintendo... Innovation and all that, you wanna make stupid amounts of money like you did with the Wii. But for the love of god not everything is a great idea. The DSi for example. Remove the GBA slot and put a rubbish camera in? Bad idea. I hope to god my DS Lite doesn't break because if I can't find a replacement Lite I refuse to buy that expensive paperweight.
I don't recall ever seeing you before, but

epic avatar +_+

Also, that is admittedly the one thing I actually like about Nintendo; they really are a 'yeah, fuck it, why not?' kinda company.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I think Nintendo may be gearing for a big E3 seeing as they were going to announce the newest zelda and the 3d Wii. Interesting. Usually E3 is a big flop for me.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Ahh...well...hmmm...I'm not exactly sure how to respond...

But there was a story on here a while back about a DSi game that was 3D, and it didn't use glasses. I wonder if its more of that.

Chris Schmaltz

Mar 21, 2010
They have said that the 3DS will have the ability to track the user's head, correct?

and they say it will be 3d without the glasses...

seems like nintendo is finally gonna utilize headtracking, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw