Review: Perfect Dark (XBLA)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Perfect Dark (XBLA)

The retro favorite fares remarkably well in its journey to a modern platform.

Read Full Article

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Enjoyable review, and color me 4 stars for my nostalgia tinted glasses. What a great game when it came out, with a really interesting variety of weapons for the time.

Just like Goldeneye and the near-universal "No Oddjob" rule, fondly remember summer nights playing for all hours with "No Farsight"

Dark Angel Warlord

Mar 20, 2010
omg makes me wanna bring out goldeneye 007 one last time
cry cry cry such memories
im so happy they did made it good
if only they could update golden eye 007 and make it with latest tech and online abiliies omg that would be the halo killer

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I hate to say it, but Perfect Dark is one of the most amazing games ever made that has not aged well AT ALL. Sure we had hours and hours of fun with it back in the day, but now it's just ugly and clumsy.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
oh, how this game brings back memories. this is gonna motivate me to hook my xbox up to the internet again. looks like the multiplayer is pretty much untouched, good to know. does it support online play at all?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I think this one might be worth getting once I acquire a second Xbox controller. I suspect my wife has wanted to shoot me in the face MANY times.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
uppitycracker said:
oh, how this game brings back memories. this is gonna motivate me to hook my xbox up to the internet again. looks like the multiplayer is pretty much untouched, good to know. does it support online play at all?
Yep, although it feels oddly wrong to use it. PD is meant for folks in the same room, I think. :)

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
I guess this means Joanna's back to being British? (her accent was curiously missing from the aptly titled "Perfect Dark Zero")

I remember multiplayer on the N64 was barrels o' fun, partly because you could have 8 bots running around. That many AI was unheard of in those days. Really hope they kept that number up or, dare I say, increased it.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
This almost makes me wish I wasn't selling my Xbox 360. Almost. Instead I'm going to rescue my N64 from the basement.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
uppitycracker said:
Yep, although it feels oddly wrong to use it. PD is meant for folks in the same room, I think. :)
haha i couldn't agree more, unfortunately i don't have a whole hell of a lot of friends that would wanna play it. i'm definitely gonna have fun crying in a corner over the perfect sims again!!!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Online multiplayer has nothing on having a bunch of people in the same room, drinking beer, eating pizza and shooting each other.

More games need unforced co-op. Halo, PD, Timesplitters (2) really were the best games to play with friends.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
For someone who used to play his first FPS'es on PC (playing Deus Ex and Half Life during the relase of PD) before trying them on consoles during the Playstation 2 Era, playing Perfect Dark now for the first time was....incredibly arkward.

Sorry N64 Fans, but First Person Shooters just began to get really good with Red Faction and, ironically, Timesplitters 2 (wich is sort of the spirtual sucessor of PD)
(Never got the Hype about Halo though...)

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Dark Angel Warlord said:
if only they could update golden eye 007 and make it with latest tech and online abiliies omg that would be the halo killer
<youtube=Qut83FYXSuk>
<youtube=SP5c_MEs9mo>

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I have to say that I never played Perfect Dark before but I got it on XBLA since it was only 800 points so seemed a good deal. I love it. Sure, it's obviously not as ground breaking as when it was released but it's still a great game with a lot of content. I think it easily deserves 4 stars, especially when you consider how good value for money it is.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
Dark Angel Warlord said:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source

Checkitout. :)

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
Oooooh my goodness, totally going to have to get this. Thank you for reviewing this, this was one of my favorite games growing up! Where most other middle-school girls would have sleepovers and talk about boys, we had sleepovers playing PD and watching Star Trek. XD NEERRRDDS

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Reminds me to a somewhat suspect degree of TimeSpiltters, but I guess Perfect Dark got made first... it looks like fun though, almost makes me wish I had an Xbox. And Joanna Dark is a very cool character name : )

EDIT: Dammit! now I want Timesplitters 4!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ahhh. Perfect Dark. I remember back in the day.

Ill need to take a look at this one again, heh. I remember for a time it was one of my favoutie games for a little while...despite some of its mint problems

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Basically I liken this game to Half-Life Blue Shift's "High Definition" upgrade. Adding marginally better graphics while still containing the same core gameplay and so forth. They also threw in a few other things (for example, I can finally make a character that wears sunglasses in multiplayer) and overall I felt it was worth the 800 point $10 purchase.

Another interesting thing that grabbed my attention was that I unlocked avatar clothing just by playing the game and doing things, which I thought was an interesting way to make achievements actually have some weight behind them (though what I did to unlock a shirt wasn't necessarily an achievement)