Ubisoft Apologizes for DRM Troubles With Free Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Apologizes for DRM Troubles With Free Games

Ubisoft has issued an apology of sorts for its wonky Assassin's Creed 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-II-Playstation-3/dp/B00269DX5W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278961331&sr=1-3] DRM by offering free games to players who have been affected by server outages.

Ubisoft's attack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98396-Ubisoft-Online-DRM-Its-Worse-Than-Expected], DRM service remained intermittent for some players.

Kotaku [http://www.ubi.com] reader was given his choice of Prince of Persia, Heroes Over Europe, Endwar or H.A.W.X., while another, presumably the owner of the standard edition of the game, was offered the DLC that's normally only included with the Special Edition release.

It's not clear how Ubisoft is determining eligibility for these offers or if it's just putting them out to everyone who's bought and registered the game, but it's a nice gesture regardless. Not as nice as dumping the DRM altogether, perhaps, but it's better than nothing, and if Ubisoft plans on giving away free games every time its DRM servers crap out, it could work out pretty well for gamers in the long run. Have any of you found a Ubisoft freebie in your email?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay, now we're just hitting Pathetic Ubisoft, just pack it in, and say "Sorry, Here's Splinter Cell: Conviction" with ZERO DRM and all shall be forgiven.

Calumon: Jack asked me to come up with something funny while your servers were down so I couldn't play... Do I get a free game?

EDIT (Just to Annoy those that also see it)
Andy Chalk said:
One Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5502062/ubi-apologizes-for-asaassins-creed-2-pc-downtime-with-free-games] reader was given his choice of Prince of Persia, Heroes Over Europe, Endwar or H.A.W.X.
Thats the choice between Anger Management, Weight Loss via Vomitting, Sore throat (Broken microphone too) and a Solid Gold wafer.

Calumon: Ohhh, I'm so Hungry.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
You know what's funny?
They are going to give out free game for server outages...but then people won't be able to play those games because of server outages.
Class act.

It's a bad idea, Ubisoft. Just stop it. You're embarrassing yourself.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I got an email for the content when i bought the Black Edition.

Well done Ubisoft you fucked up again!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
So their way of repaying people for being complete morons is to give them free games that won't work, which is why they're giving out free games in the first place?

Is it really worth "preventing" piracy if you're just going to lose all your sales anyway? I bet that'll please the shareholders LOADS.

Ubi:"Great news guys; we've stopped piracy!"
SH:"That's amazing! So how much have we made?"
Ubi:"Err, about that..."

Petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ew15dl94 [small] Hint hint staff at the Escapist... [/small]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Prince of Persia, Heroes Over Europe, Endwar or H.A.W.X.
Wow, the only game of any of those that I care about is PoP... which I already own.
What a platter of crap.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Even they have admitted they have cocked up and this thing will continue Ubisoft

Just pack it in before you lose more of your fan base and make yourselves look even sillier. Plus all those games you are offering are appalling, I wouldn't take them for free

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Damn, I could use a free copy of Endwar or H.A.W.X. Of course, that's only because I deemed them too shitty to be worth buying when they came out. Still though, they'd be worth playing for free.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Its ironic that the games they offer for free aren't even the good ones! XD

(seriously look at the current retail value for these games, they crashed big time! :D)

I'm just glad I never went through the hassle of buying a ubisoft game recently, (and I probably won't buy any more from them for a while).

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Not a bad move, but I can imagine the pirate jokes of "Oh you got one for free? We got all of them for free!" bursting forth from /v/ and other like-minded places. Not that I think many people will go about braging that Ubisoft gave them a "free" game.

But at least they are trying to make buying the game worthwhile, they are not doing a good job but they are trying.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
How do we know that these free games won't crap out as well due to this system? Ubisoft do everyone a favor and just drop the DRM and everyone will be happy.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
So in other words, they're bribing players to keep quiet about their broken and immoral DRM mechanics.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Giving a free game for a screw up is completely legitimate. It's a good move from Ubisoft (Did I just say that?). Especially since PoP doesn't have DRM (I remember reading that they didn't include DRM so they could look at the piracy rate for it. They never said the results, to my knowledge...). However, It's interesting that they give away free games in apology for implementing a terrible system that was intended to prevent people from getting free games. The whole Ubisoft thing is truly baffling. Giving away apology games is like giving a band aid to a cancer patient. Ive never seen a company, so obviously concerned about their bottom line, doing so much to hurt there profits, when they are so obviously wrong. I mean honestly, I have yet to hear a single person say that this DRM wasn't going to be a massive, complete failure followed by a huge PR disaster. Honestly, I can only explain Ubisofts actions by attributing it to a disability. I'm not being flippant here, I seriously think that the only rational explanation for what there doing is that someone has an honest to god learning disability, and are unable to observe and interpret reality in an accurate and meaningful way.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
If they never said the results for PoP is because it was pirated exactly the same than other games, proving once again that DRM fails hugely.

Still not buying. They can stuff their free games.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm with the others here. Giving out a free game is a good way to say I'm sorry, but it does nothing to solve the problem. The only true and meant apology, however, would be to remove the DRM altogether.

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
Furburt said:
The only apology I will accept is them removing the DRM outright.

That's it, no amount of conciliatory bullshit will change my mind.
...which has about the same likelihood as you being hit by a meteor. Twice. While underground.