Steve Wiebe Sets New World Record

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Steve Wiebe Sets New World Record

Watch out, Billy Mitchell. Steve Wiebe, the lovable everyman who was the hero of the documentary The King of Kong, has set a new world record in Donkey Kong Jr.

King of Kong [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wiebe] star's ready to take his title back. He's clearly been practicing, except when Steve Weibe practices, he doesn't just play a couple games every other night. He sets world records.

According to classic game scorekeeping organization Billy Mitchell [http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=19&id=1728]'s record in August of last year. The score was checked and verified by Twin Galaxies, which, as anyone who's seen The King of Kong will know, means that it's really, definitely, totally official.

"I'm not surprised he was able to beat it," Hall told Twin Galaxies. "I'm definitely going to try and reclaim it, but it won't be an easy hill to climb."

Twin Galaxies founder and amateur songwriter [http://www.amazon.com/Three-Lies/dp/B0017M425O] Walter Day called the record a "profound performance," whatever that means.

So look out, Billy Mitchell. Steve Wiebe is clearly not kidding around when it comes to setting world records in 2009. We'll see if he can earn that ever-elusive Donkey Kong world record (Wiebe took the record at the end of the movie but lost it to Mitchell afterward) when he attempts to win it live on G4 during E3 2009.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I hope he does get it. Billy Mitchell came a cross as such a douche he deserves to have his face rubbed in bitter bitter defeat.

He might of course be a thoroughly decent chap vilified by the media.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
galletea said:
I hope he does get it. Billy Mitchell came a cross as such a douche he deserves to have his face rubbed in bitter bitter defeat.

From what I hear Mitchell really is a nice guy who the movie just portrays as an ass, but still the little-guy should win for once.
I just think he has an awesome beard.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
galletea said:

The movie is so good at making Steve look good and Billy look like Satan, it's really impossible not to think it's skewed a bit.

But come on, those ties. Are you kidding me? He deserves to fail just for wearing them.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Keane Ng said:
The movie is so good at making Steve look good and Billy look like Satan, it's really impossible not to think it's skewed a bit.

But come on, those ties. Are you kidding me? He deserves to fail just for wearing them.
That's true, the mullet I could have forgiven, but coupled with the ties? *Shakes head in disgust*
And he's held his title for long enough now anyway.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
galletea said:

From what I hear Mitchell really is a nice guy who the movie just portrays as an ass, but still the little-guy should win for once.
I too am pro-Billy Mitchell. His BBQ sauce is really, really awesome. It's almost criminal to watch the film and not be eating his BBQ and thinking, "F*** it, Dude makes good BBQ. Kick Wiebe's ass!"

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
KoK is a farce. I believe Weibe had the record throughout most of the movie. Mitchell is obviously a jackass but that's mainly because of the ties. There's also a scene in the movie that shows Mitchell hovering around in the background while Weibe plays on a DK cabinet. The impression the movie gives is that Mitchell never interacts with Weibe--the reality of that scene is that the two were taking turns on the same machine, both trying to win 1000000 points in a public setting.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
I loved the King of Kong and I'm glad to see him break another record I hope he keeps it up just because it will piss Mitchell off to no end.

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
galletea said:

I've wondered that myself, though I'd probably still be pulling for Wiebe.