Edge Games "Completely Certain" of Legal Victory

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

The Edge Games circus is back in town, as Tim Langdell's company says it is "completely certain" that it will defeat Electronic Arts and Mobigame in its ongoing legal disputes over the Edge trademark.

The well-known dispute between Mirror's Edge [http://www.edgegames.com/].

But in a recent email sent to Electronic Arts [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/edge-games-completely-certain-of-win] the press is on this? When did EA suddenly become the good guys?"

"Yes, we are completely certain of winning in both the U.S. and U.K. against EA/EA DICE and against [Mobigame] on the European CTM issue," the rep continued. "We have asked Connect2Media [http://www.connect2media.com/] to remove [Mobigame's] Edge from mobile phones and are confident they will do so if they have not done so already."

But in a joint statement, Mobigame and Connect2Media denied that they have any intention of acquiescing to that demand and expressed their own certainty that Edge's trademarks will ultimately be revoked. "Both Mobigame and Connect2Media have taken extensive legal advice on this issue, and neither company considers that Edge Games has any enforceable registered trade marks in relation to computer games," the statement said.

"The U.S. and U.K. trademarks that Edge Games typically refer to when making their claims of infringement are either not yet registered, subject to revocation/opposition proceedings or irrelevant to the field of computer games," it continued. "Of those Edge Games registered trademarks which are currently subject to revocation/opposition proceedings, the legal advice obtained by Mobigame is that they will almost certainly be revoked or canceled by the respective Trade Mark Offices."

"In view of the above, neither Mobigame nor Connect2Media intend to concede to the demands made by Edge Games, by removing Edge from sale anywhere in the world, or by changing its name," the statement concluded.

Long story short: It looks like the dust hasn't quite settled on this one after all.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
It's amazing how a game company that doesn't create games manages to claim and win lawsuits on a trademark it doesn't really own...

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Gotta admit his genius, all he needs to do all day is surf the web for stuff to sue, thats his entire income right there. since it doesn't seem like he does anything involving... you know... a real job.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:

Isn't it amazing how biased towards Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] the press is on this? When did EA suddenly become the good guys?"
When they had to start defending themselves from dicks with frivolous law suites.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
sturryz said:
It's amazing how a game company that doesn't create games manages to claim and win lawsuits on a trademark it doesn't really own...
They get points for trying...but really, Out of everything in the end of the day its not going to ebenfit many people.

I doubt they are going to win myself, but...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
despite the most fervent wishes of the gaming press, Edge was sure to prevail in both cases.
Shouldn't that be a sign that they should knock this shit off before we all hate them... Whoops too late for that.

I don't think they have the money to fight EA though. EA isn't a company to take this lying down.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I don't think they have the money to fight EA though. EA isn't a company to take this lying down.
This is what I'm thinking in this fiasco, if it comes down to it I'm sure that EA can push this issue until Edge goes bankrupt.

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
I'm sorry, but I seriously don't get this. How could any human being actually be stupid enough to believe they own the word "edge"? It's like that bloke who sold that bridge to that guy...

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
So I was browsing Edge Games website and was just annoyed how they are still talking about the release of a game called 'Mirrors', yet have no screenshots or trailer of any sort available. They say they have a game that has been in development for 5 years called 'Mythora 2' and same thing, no screenshots, trailers or anything. I mean after 5 years I would think you would have something to show.

It looks like they finally got their POS racing game out on PC, but no other platform. You go to the games website and they have this little trailer that is all CG and not actual in-game footage, and a couple of thumbnail images for screenshots. So I go to look it up where you can buy it. I check Amazon, well Amazon doesn't carry it, but there is a Marketplace seller who does, and that seller happens to be Edge Games. That means they couldn't even get a distributor.

Also, when you investigate their site almost everything on the front page is stuff that was licensed for the name, not any products that they actually created.

At one point I somewhat saw Edge Games side and understood their issue from a strict copyright level. The more and more I learn, the more I start to see that they are just trying to keep that copyright since it is the only way they can make money.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This is yet another fine example of copyright law taken too far. If I understand this, according to Edge Games, because they're called 'Edge Games' and have trademarked that, nobody else is allowed to use the word 'edge'? What nonsense!
Maybe I should trademark the word 'the' and then go around sueing everyone whose ever used it. ¬_¬ ­

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
When the PR resorts to statements saying that since the press bashes their opponent all the time that they are in the win, methinks they really have nothing left and is just trying to look strong in the face of complete defeat.
Say goodbye to copyright law, Mr. Langdell. Say hello to bankruptcy law. It's that new friend who takes all your money and even some or all of your assets, tells you that you don't owe anybody(though in some cases that may not be true), and that for the next seven or such years you can't call for his services again. Which leaves you wide open to a bunch of spam mail for anything credit related. And they won't mind that your credit is in the basement, since that allows them to tack on high interest.

It is delicious.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
EA has the money, the legal team and the will to drag this out until Edge goes out of business.

Put it this way, they set their lawyers on the heads of IW, a company they like and have earned millions from. Langdell may have bitten off more than he can chew.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Add something else to the charges against Edge Games: A criminal wasting of time. God, I wish this would end already with Langdell's head under the judge's mallet.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
I think I might go copyright the term 'fuckwad'...so then I can sue anyone anytime they use the name 'Tim Langdell' because they are clearly breaching my copyright by inference.

PS, Tim: Any time someone is suggesting in a fight of you VS EA games that EA are the good guys, it isn't because they are the good guys, it is because you are a fuckwad of outrageous proportions. It's like if you had a fight between Mr Burns and the emperor; Mr Burns is 'the good guy' only on the grounds that he is just sort of generically evil, not a genocidal super villian.