Scientists Breed Glowing Puppies

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Scientists Breed Glowing Puppies

In a blatant attempt to force squeals from teen girls around the world, scientists in South Korea have cloned puppies that glow red under ultraviolet light.

More than a simple trick of the light, the puppies' luminescence is a result of their transgenic nature. The scientists used a retrovirus [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17003-fluorescent-puppy-is-worlds-first-transgenic-dog.html] to insert a biofluorescent gene into the dogs' genetic structure during the course of their normal gestation -- or, as close to "normal" as a cloned baby beagle gets.

Of the 344 embryos altered and implanted into adult female dogs, seven resulted in pregnancy. One pregnancy ended in miscarriage, while another pup died of pneumonia after birth, leaving the team with five glowing bundles of joy.

Obviously this method of crafting extra-adorable pups isn't exactly efficient, but it serves as further proof of concept of mankind's burgeoning ability to directly target and alter genes within living organisms.

Ideally this sort of technology will eventually serve to prevent the likelihood of hereditary illness, but if Hollywood has taught me anything, we'll probably all be killed by transgenic supersoldiers long before then.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
I....... cannot think of an intelligent comment on this subject. So instead I shall say this.

Dude... what the fuck?

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
WANT!!! But then again, maybe not, seeing as in order for them to glow I would have to bathe my entire house in UV light, and I don't think that's very healthy. ALSO: I wonder if their pee glows, kinda like if you chugged an Orange Quantum?

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
Lios said:
I....... cannot think of an intelligent comment on this subject. So instead I shall say this.

Dude... what the fuck?
This. Seriously, why the hell would someone make glowing puppies?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Yegargeburble said:
Lios said:

Dude... what the fuck?
To give mother nature the middle finger.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
What is the purpose of this i mean it doesn't sound like there would be a reason to have glowing people

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
that seems quite derranged to me, but at least you wouldn't loose them at night

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
Yegargeburble said:
Lios said:

Dude... what the fuck?
Because they can.

Edje

Mar 29, 2009
it really isn't anything special its merely a procedure in genetic engineering to add that glowing trait so that they can check which of the test animals received the altered genes without having to do extensive testing

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Well, if they're going to be altering genes, they might as well make it entertaining but otherwise useless. I would be really worried if they were making these things stronger, heal faster, and with adamantium teeth and claws (but it'll happen eventually).

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Yegargeburble said:
Lios said:

Dude... what the fuck?
..for people who can't afford flashlights =p

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I'm sure they are gonna be a blast at parties, and if you get a UV light you can always find them in the dark if you take them for an evening walk.