BioWare Plans "Future Events" for Non-American Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Plans "Future Events" for Non-American Gamers

BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] has revealed that it has "future events" planned specifically for gamers who are unable to participate in the U.S.-only BioWare Bazaar.

There was a countdown. There was an BioWare Bazaar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99497-BioWare-Countdown-Ends-BioWare-Blows-Up-UPDATED], a virtual online auction that will let gamers vie for a huge selection of sweet BioWare swag, like stickers, t-shirts, posters and even branded PCs and Xbox 360s. But there's a catch: Because of "last-minute legal complications," the contest is only open to residents of the U.S., minus New York and Florida, which left an awful lot of BioWare fans out in the cold and not too happy about it.

But have no fear! BioWare loves you all and has plans to make sure everyone gets a shot at... well, something. "In the coming weeks, we will be announcing details about future events specifically for fans living in those territories which were excluded from participating in the first BioWare Bazaar," co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka said in a message [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/13/index/1988326/1] posted on the BioWare Social Network. "The future events will be a bit different from the first Bazaar in how they're set up and structured, but our goal is to feature the same caliber of awesome prizes and great BioWare collectibles."

No word on what the "future events" might be but as Zeschuk and Muzyka noted, the Bazaar was "the start of a year-long celebration around BioWare's 15th anniversary," so they've got lots of time to figure out something cool. In the meantime, I'm still collecting auction tokens - I knew all along that BioWare wouldn't let us down.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Heh, it'd better be excellent. I'm pretty pissed that BioWare clearly think that Americans are their main client base ("last minute legal complications" my arse - this happens all the time. If BioWare had wanted to fix it, they would have from the start) and have just realised that the majority of their user base isn't American, and is suddenly feeling left out and pissed off.

I'll take my free DLC to go, cheers. I have everything except Awakening, ta!

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Fine then.

I dont plan on inviting Bioware to my party.

Its going to have cake and stuff and they cant come.

*Pouts in corner*

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Chipperz said:
Heh, it'd better be excellent. I'm pretty pissed that BioWare clearly think that Americans are their main client base ("last minute legal complications" my arse - this happens all the time. If BioWare had wanted to fix it, they would have from the start) and have just realised that the majority of their user base isn't American, and is suddenly feeling left out and pissed off.
Sorry to disappoint, but "last minute legal complications" really do happen, rather often. No conspiracy theories here. It depends on the kind of "contest" being held, but every State has different laws for these things. To use Canada as an example, due to some of Quebec's laws they are excluded from virtually every single contest run in that country.

No, surprise, it's actually not because we "just don't like them."

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Hope that the current tokens won't matter since i haven't started collecting.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ok. They get my respect Back. I am glad they are at least acknowleding all of us who do not happen to be a part of the States.

Wonder what it will be though...hmm...curious

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
only open to residents of the U.S., minus New York and California
I don't know about California, but at the top of the contest rules, it says invalid in Florida and New York.

As a resident of the good ol' Sunshine State (read: shitty Retiree State) I'm pretty upset about this. It must be due to the Florida pawn law, prohibiting certain things to be sold second-hand, via auction or retail, unless they have a certain license (I believe).

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
"This time, because we love our community we're planning future events!...for Florida and New York aswell too! Yay America!"

>_>

Feb 19, 2010
bioware to EA: you know there are other countreis than the us...

EA: ah yes 'other countreis' name one

Bioware: well, us canadians, Uk, scots irish ru......

EA:enough!go to the flaming pit of not giving a shit!

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
a pretzel in the shape of the normandy? a bumper sticker that says "I'm Commander Shepherd and this is my favourite car on the citadel"? An Oghren bobblehead? Hazaa!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
So long as its something I'd actually enjoy, yay - I don't really care about being left out of this one because, though the prizes are awesome, it relies on this 'token' system which means the OCD kids will get vastly more tokens than me and I'll be outbidded on everything.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
SniperWolf427 said:
I don't know about California, but at the top of the contest rules, it says invalid in Florida and New York.
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't know why I'm always getting those two states mixed up. It's like a very specific form of dyslexia.

And I think the conspiracy theories regarding the exclusion of non-American gamers are a little overblown. I was disappointed too but I know that it's not easy accommodating not just international laws, but the laws of individual states and provinces as well. A lot of contests in Canada are void in Quebec for just that reason, and apparently the situation is similar in New York and Florifornia. Borders may have little meaning to those of us in here, but out there it's a whole different situation.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
In the meantime, I'm still collecting auction tokens - I knew all along that BioWare wouldn't let us down.
Pfft it's called hastily covering ones ass at an unexpected backlash, it was one thing to run a US only comp in a magazine two decades ago if it was printed in the US, even if people purchased outside the US for latest news (I use to buy mainly UK and US gaming mags back in the early 90s because the Australian ones were pants), but in this day and age of the internet and global communities it's just not accepted anymore and frankly pisses people off, I'd say a lot of it is down to the 00s and less than rosy view people around the world held of the United States and their international attitude.

Where people might of waved it off as unimportant it's now sneered at "so once again the America is the only country in the world", no matter why they limited it, that's the view people take, and companies need to understand we're not so willing to be pissed on anymore.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Chipperz said:

I'll take my free DLC to go, cheers. I have everything except Awakening, ta!
Actually their main client base is Americans. Looking through a few of their title's sales, they are across the board 2 to 4 times as much in the US than they are over the combined total of all other countries excluding Japan.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
Good, I wasn't happy with all the hype and the letdown afterwards when I relized that canada can't take part.... same goes for alot of contests here, except for 1, which I actually won :D