Reliable Source: Virtual Sex and Second Life

Marion Cox

Sep 29, 2009
Reliable Source: Virtual Sex and Second Life

Marion explores all his options - even some he really shouldn?t.

Read Full Article

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I wouldn't dare go to Second Life if I was feeling depressed. Seeing the amount of sickness and depravity going on in there would make me lose my last shred of faith in humanity.

As far as I care, the PN were the only good thing Second Life has ever spawned.

Theron Salard

Feb 19, 2010
its not Second Life ok its just sick ppl that go on it and make it that bad cuz there are good ppl that play it you know just like IMVU and stuff i will just say this its funny that ppl on there give up there Ls for sex and stuff but yes SL is good but the ppl on there need help and a life

Anthony Haslage

Apr 3, 2010
So, I thought to myself, this sounds fishy. No one can be so dumb that they would give away their credit card number on what is essentially an MMO where anyone with the right scripting can copy it. But then I thought... April Fools was a few days ago and not everyone gets a chance to be online when it is most convenient.

As a journalist myself, I figured I would atleast check some of the facts. It is too bad the character profiles Mephistopheles Sinewave and Delilah Parkour do not exist on SecondLife. But I quickly realized that they were either created for the purpose of a photo opportunity, as shown in the article and deleted, or two other avatars were used instead. As you can see, no names are showing in the image and someone new to SecondLife would not know how to disable the names right away. In addition, people new to SecondLife would not have such detailed characters without first throwing some serious cash at the game and knowledge of where to buy hair, clothes, skin, etc...

While I am sure there is sex going on via SecondLife, as gross as I think it is, I have never heard legitimate complaints about being approached by a prostitute and being asked for a credit card number almost as soon as they entered the game in the newbie areas. Not that it does not happen in more mature areas on SecondLife, the areas where new people start prohibit such behavior and while I am sure not everyone obeys the rules, I find it highly unlikely a random guy who just happened to be writing an article would be the one to be approached.

In the end, this was an unrealiable source.

CrazyBerk

Jul 1, 2008
Anthony Haslage said:
So, I thought to myself, this sounds fishy. No one can be so dumb that they would give away their credit card number on what is essentially an MMO where anyone with the right scripting can copy it. But then I thought... April Fools was a few days ago and not everyone gets a chance to be online when it is most convenient.

As a journalist myself, I figured I would atleast check some of the facts. It is too bad the character profiles Mephistopheles Sinewave and Delilah Parkour do not exist on SecondLife. But I quickly realized that they were either created for the purpose of a photo opportunity, as shown in the article and deleted, or two other avatars were used instead. As you can see, no names are showing in the image and someone new to SecondLife would not know how to disable the names right away. In addition, people new to SecondLife would not have such detailed characters without first throwing some serious cash at the game and knowledge of where to buy hair, clothes, skin, etc...

While I am sure there is sex going on via SecondLife, as gross as I think it is, I have never heard legitimate complaints about being approached by a prostitute and being asked for a credit card number almost as soon as they entered the game in the newbie areas. Not that it does not happen in more mature areas on SecondLife, the areas where new people start prohibit such behavior and while I am sure not everyone obeys the rules, I find it highly unlikely a random guy who just happened to be writing an article would be the one to be approached.

He would of gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids..

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Anthony Haslage said:

Uh, yeah. Go back and read all the articles, you'll figure it out, super-sleuth like you.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Anthony Haslage said:

You mean Reliable Source is fiction?

THIS IS TOTALLY UNEXPECTED INFORMATION!!11

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Anthony Haslage said:
1. You made an account on the Escapist just to post this?

2. Isn't it possible that the names were altered for the purposes of the article?

3. Since I can't be bothered to check the info in the article (or even check if the info CAN be checked), it's basically the word of a 1-post user who joined today versus a regular journalist of the site the I greatly enjoy...

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Anthony Haslage said:
As a journalist myself, I figured I would atleast check some of the facts. It is too bad the character profiles Mephistopheles Sinewave and Delilah Parkour do not exist on SecondLife. But I quickly realized that they were either created for the purpose of a photo opportunity, as shown in the article and deleted, or two other avatars were used instead. ... While I am sure there is sex going on via SecondLife, as gross as I think it is, I have never heard legitimate complaints about being approached by a prostitute and being asked for a credit card number almost as soon as they entered the game in the newbie areas.
To add to your fact-checking, names in SL are half-predestined*. You pick your first name, but you have to pick your last name from a list of options, the list being longer or shorter depending on how common your first name is (if you're trying to be Bob, I suspect your list will be nonexistent) in the SL population. I don't think Sinewave or Parkour are on that list, or at least I don't recall seeing anyone with those last names in SL, meaning they're most likely entirely made up rather than temporary photo-shoot names or the like. They're just names.

As for the second bit, that's not exactly how it works. You enter your credit card information in your profile on the SL main site and that information is used when you purchase SL currency from its various sources. He wouldn't have been giving his CC info to Delilah herself in this situation.

Hope that clears things up a little bit.

*I could have called them half-predetermined, but that didn't sound mythical enough for my taste.

Marion Cox

Sep 29, 2009
Anthony Haslage said:
As a journalist, let me assure you that saying "as a journalist" just makes people feel uncomfortable. Try it! Go up to someone and say, "As a journalist, I would just like to say that your shoe is untied." Watch their face as they slowly realize that you're a giant [this statement removed by robots].

But since you decided to do some detective work let me explain my alibi.

You're right, my own character looked much uglier than the one in picture, that's because the photo is stock from deep in The Escapist's vault of naughty pictures, you should see the pictures they have of Cliffy B. in there, really, things no one should ever see... And no, I didn't really call myself Mephistopheles Sinewave, what a dumb name. Both characters exist, but I used pseudonyms to protect their identity. You wouldn't want people trying to hack my account and getting my 5' cock prims, would you?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Marion Cox said:
On Wednesday, bored and curious, I created an advertisement on a dating site. As I expected, there's always some jerk who will make fun of my name.
I feel your pain Marion, my name is Sush Alexandra, I know how you fucking feel, my dad was drunk when registering me and he thought I was a girl.

The only thing that pisses me off more than people making fun of my name is people calling me "Alexander".

OT I just registered with home, hopefully my luck with the ladee's is better
*wink wink*

jjscotman

Apr 3, 2010
The article is total rubbish - as a regular user of Second Life where I have a lot of fun chatting to people from all over the world and listening to music in dance clubs or live streamed concerts, I know that most of what this so-called journalist writes is incorrect and written for the purpose of sensationalising his story and trying to give it some interest.

As a gamer who reads The Escapist on a daily basis through my RSS feed and wants to read real news or interesting comment and opinions, it disappoints me greatly that the editors consider this article worth space. Perhaps they are getting desperate!!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Anthony Haslage said:
You spend alot of time in Second Life don't you?, I see everyone else is constructing proper argument against you in defence of Marion, but I (like Marion) would like to know where I can get some hooch in Second Life...

Good free hooch that is.

edit, I should have said POONTAG!

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Why are there people taking this article seriously? It's quite funny and I don't care if it isn't factually corect,don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

jjscotman

Apr 3, 2010
Daymo, like you I enjoy a good story - one that either entertains me (perhaps even making me smile) or, alternatively, informs me.

This story is, in my opinion , neither entertaining nor informative in any way - quite the contary on both counts.

I very rarely comment on stories I read but this article is so totally worthless and so lacking in journalistic merit that I felt compelled to voice an opinion - hopefully the editors will vet future contributions from this writer more thoroughly in the future.

heliosa

Jul 24, 2008
jjscotman said:
The article is total rubbish - as a regular user of Second Life where I have a lot of fun chatting to people from all over the world and listening to music in dance clubs or live streamed concerts, I know that most of what this so-called journalist writes is incorrect and written for the purpose of sensationalising his story and trying to give it some interest.

As a gamer who reads The Escapist on a daily basis through my RSS feed and wants to read real news or interesting comment and opinions, it disappoints me greatly that the editors consider this article worth space. Perhaps they are getting desperate!!
If you really think this is a real article, then I don't know what's wrong with you. But if you don't, then you just trolled me, my friend!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Anthony Haslage said:

Well now, don't you look silly.

OT: A great read as normal; my favourite column on the site.