Cliffy B Won't Bring a Weapon to Announce New Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cliffy B Won't Bring a Weapon to Announce New Game

Epic Games' Cliff(y B)leszinski famously announced Gears of War 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-2-Game-Xbox-360/dp/B002GN8HU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278693895&sr=1-1] while wielding the series' trademark chainsaw gun, but he won't be doing the same when he announces a new game on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon next week.

Earlier this week, Late Night With Jimmy Fallon host, um, Jimmy Fallon the date we'd get the first Gears of War 3 teaser trailer [http://twitter.com/jimmyfallon/status/11394752582], common sense says the two are probably linked in some way.

But if anyone was expecting Bleszinski to repeat his GDC '08 announcement of Gears 2 - where he tore through part of the set with a Lancer chainsaw/gun hybrid before calling the new game "bigger, better and far more badass than the original," you may be in for a bit of a letdown. As the designer Tweeted [http://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/11442306059]: "I shall not say 'bigger better blah blah' or carry any weaponry for the Fallon announce." There you go, Cliffy, breaking the hearts of people who love impractical weaponry everywhere.

Of course, it's always possible that the rumors have been just that - mere rumors - and Bleszinski will be appearing to announce a new Shadow Complex or Unreal or something, VG247 points out [http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/02/bleszinski-no-weaponry-for-fallon-announce/] that the Epic frontman said something else at the Gears 2 reveal. "It's a funny thing about rumours on the internet: once in a while, they're actually true."

So, yeah. Gears of War 3 is almost certainly going to be announced on a major, mainstream, non-gaming, non-cable television show. That's kind of cool, no?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Dawww

So there's no chance of Jimmy Fallon being accidentally killed?

Where's the fun in that?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
N'awww, the Lancer was cool. I liked it and thought that it was an epic. I can understand not wanting to bring it out on the show. It's a mainstream show and there will be a lot of people who won't know what the Lancer is, let alone will get the joke if he brought it out.

Also, I hope that he announces Gears of War, if you can't tell just by looking at me, I love the series.
Straying Bullet said:
Three, fix the damn host advantage and enable better matchmaking.
You know, chances are no one who works at Epic studios that is working on Gears of War will see that right?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's okay Cliffy, I'll bring the guns.

......So your new game better be good.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Aw, no dynamic entrance? Well whatever. As long as it keeps the bots available for multiplayer me and my friends will still have tons of fun just playing against them locally.

Capable of pulling off any headshot if they were standing still but when moving they would literally headshot themselves. Don't ask how.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I hope he's announcing a re-launch of Solar Winds, and will be landing in a helicopter designed to look like a space ship for the promotion which is why he isn't carrying a weapon this time.... >:)

Solar Winds, Armada, Star Control I miss those games.

Oh and my shameless Bioware contest tokens plug:

http://social.bioware.com/brc/77021

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see the people who work in gaming appear in something mainstream!!

I'll have to try and catch this somehow

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
lol, they probably wouldn't let him bring a weapon onto the set anyway (even a fake one)
[small]Plus, I've heard that the chainsaw gun license laws are really strict these days...[/small]

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
One, I hope it's Gears of War 3.

Two, he should totally stop doing that gun show-off intro, he looked like a total nerd/loser when he came in in a not-so-impressing way, the character of Cole Train should have announced the game, seriously "Can't wait to smash hands"

Three, fix the damn host advantage and enable better matchmaking.
Cole actually says "Can't wait to smash heads". Unless of course you were making some witty joke that went over my head and subsequently resulted in me looking silly?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
As long as he shows up to E3 in full Cog armor with a shotgun in one hand and a lancer in the other and walks in slow motion out of an explosion, then I'll be satisfied.

Honestly, he probably won't be announcing a big game like Gears of War 3 on Fallon.

njautobody

Dec 27, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
Damnit. I was hoping to see him bring in a fully functional Hammer of Dawn complete with orbital satellite.
But the set is indoors which would make it useless... unless he found the window.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
njautobody said:
MurderousToaster said:
Damnit. I was hoping to see him bring in a fully functional Hammer of Dawn complete with orbital satellite.
But the set is indoors which would make it useless... unless he found the window.
He has a gun with a chainsaw on it. He can make a window.