Nifty Split/Second Trailer Blows Up the City

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nifty Split/Second Trailer Blows Up the City

The latest, all-in-game-footage trailer for Black Rock Studios' destruction-happy, reality-TV arcade racer Split/Second is what Michael Bay would make, if Michael Bay made racing games.

[g4tv=45120]

For too long, racing games have gone under the axiom that if you use a weapon, the weapon has to come from your car. Oil slicks, Koopa shells, missiles, flamethrowers, banana peels - they're all car-mounted devices of death. Not so much Split/Second [http://www.amazon.com/Split-Second-Playstation-3/dp/B002ACFYUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278693712&sr=1-1], which turns the track itself into an implement of destruction.

And frankly, it looks really, really cool. My colleague Logan Westbrook got to check it out at PAX East [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99481-PAX-East-2010-Hands-On-Split-Second], and he liked it, too. It ain't Gran Turismo, but the handling is smooth, the tracks are well laid-out, and lots of stuff blows the hell up.

I don't really like racing games as a rule of thumb, but consider me intrigued by this one. Split/Second is out May 18th, which means you'll have a few days to play it before you all run out and pick up Mario Galaxy 2 on May 23rd.

(Via G4TV [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/703657/SplitSecond-Drops-Amazing-In-Game-Downtown-Trailer.html])

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
This doesn't look half bad actually, especially for a racing game. Might be worth a rental, but I hope a demo comes out before hand to really test it.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Blowing up the city you want to race around in? What a stupid Idea! Who would do that?

Calumon: Uhhmmm... Jack do you know how to work a Fatman Atomic bomb?

[sup]The game looks sweet though, like a less colorful Mario Kart.[/sup]

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Well, finally a racing game has peaked my interest. I may have to play a demo for this

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Am I the only one excited about this? I don't even like Racing games and this looks sweet.

Is the fact it said Disney Interactive putting people off?

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
I have finally found the racing game I want for X-Box XD

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
That looks pretty good! I might have to get it if I ever stop being poor.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
No way that was all gameplay.
But still looking very fancy. Mind you, when you start out, you'll probably have to build up from "blow up this barrel" to "blow up Korea" level explosives.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Makes me miss old days of destruction derby! This might telight the old fire!

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Spit second was the name of a book I was going to write a few years ago before I gave up on it. If only I'd copyrighted the name, then I could've caused some trouble for people.

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
I know the idea of this is not mounting wepons on the car, but for some reason this trailer reminds me of Full Auto, also I dont see whats so good about it, nothing that new. But then again Im not a racing game fan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
BAYSPLOSIONS

...sorry, had to get that out of my system. Anyway, it does look fairly interesting- the idea of strategically using BAYSPLOSIONS rigged environmental destruction during a race is a nice twist, and could enter a whole new level of tactical thinking; "Do I BAYSPLODE blow the bridge now and chop down the other guy's lead, even though it'll cut me off from my usual route?" But I'd rather see a PC racing game that lets me customize my car's paint job.

[HEADING=1]BAYSPLOSIONS[/HEADING]

[small]Sorry, I'll stop that now.[/small]

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Looks quite fun, and I'm not really into racing games. Will have to have a stab at the demo.

But what's this about us all going out to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2? I'm sure that game will run great on the Wii that I don't have....

lhin

Nov 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
But still looking very fancy. Mind you, when you start out, you'll probably have to build up from "blow up this barrel" to "blow up Korea" level explosives.
played the demo and yes......you could do every thing the video showed you.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
lhin said:
hazabaza1 said:
played the demo and yes......you could do every thing the video showed you.
It's not that, I believe in all the 'setting up traps' fanciness, but it really looks like in the sections of the video when you just see the cars driving that something's been done to it.

Travis Austin

Jan 13, 2010
I'm kinda excited about this game which is surprising especially since I usually don't give racing games the time of day.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Nah, this doesn't strike me as Bay's cup of tea; too much story...

That said, I do hope it uses the same exact physics that was used in Burnout Paradise. You know, the ones that totaled your car if you so much as touch another guy's fender.