THQ Has Plans for $40 Million Natal Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
THQ Has Plans for $40 Million Natal Game

The people over at THQ, publishers of Saint's Row and Darksiders, have plans for a multi-million dollar Natal game, but want to wait until the install base is big enough.

Natal isn't out yet, but at least one seems publisher very excited by the opportunities the technology offers. THQ's Core Games VP Danny Bilson is thinking big when it comes to Microsoft's motion controller; big to the tune of $30 - $40 million. But he isn't going to spend that money until Natal has had time to grow.

"I have some concepts and some ideas that use Natal in a core game in a really, really cool way, " Bilson said. "[But] I don't think the experience with the technology is there, I don't think the install base is there because the game I'm thinking about is a $30m/$40m Natal game and the install base isn't there yet to support that. The concept I have uses every corner of that tech and maybe in a couple of years we'll do it."

Bilson also said that THQ is making an "awesome" Natal games that Microsoft is "really excited about". I must admit, I'm excited that the Natal technology is inspiring people, because I think the possibilities afforded by it are pretty interesting. Obviously, whether that excitement is warranted or not remains to be seen, but news like this is pretty encouraging.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241226]

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Do they realise that the install base probably won't be big enough unless they make the game. ;)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's a waste. Natal will MAYBE sell enough to make back its own development cost.

But this game...won't make 40 mil.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
40 million dollars? Whatever profit they make out of this so called titanic multimillion dollar super game is never going to make up for what they paid to create this game.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Cricky. That's one excited chappy.... I think someone should stay away from the sherbet dip, it's gone to his head.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's a waste. Natal itself won't even sell enough to make $40 million. If there is a gaming god, that is.
Don't be so quick to judge. That thing is getting way too much funding and advertisement to be a mere gimmick that'll see a shelf life of a few months. Microsoft wouldn't have made billions if it can't predict the failure of a product when an average gamer can do so.
True enough. I'm just saying that since gamers aren't taking it seriously...Well, you know. It'll become a novelty. Do you see how badly that hardcore Wii titles sell? Even PUNCHOUT sold like shit. I have high hopes for Natal to be used right, just not the consumers.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
SteelStallion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's a waste. Natal itself won't even sell enough to make $40 million. If there is a gaming god, that is.
Don't be so quick to judge. That thing is getting way too much funding and advertisement to be a mere gimmick that'll see a shelf life of a few months. Microsoft wouldn't have made billions if it can't predict the failure of a product when an average gamer can do so.
True enough. I'm just saying that since gamers aren't taking it seriously...Well, you know. It'll become a novelty. Do you see how badly that hardcore Wii titles sell? Even PUNCHOUT sold like shit. I have high hopes for Natal to be used right, just not the consumers.
Hardcore gamers won't take it seriously. The Xbox 360 long targeted a mainly hardcore player base, what you're saying is exactly what Microsoft is hoping to get out of Natal: a slice of the casual market.

Take us, for example. I love fragging people online in Halo; I can't imagine doing that in Natal so unless I see some hardcore development in terms of fragging people online on Natal I'm not going to be buying it. Take everyone else, and you've got the reason the Wii is making shitloads.

Edit: People here seem to be underestimating the casual market. Look at the Wii sales, guys. If Natal is anything decent it'll make shitloads.
Still, why would the casual invest in a 360?

Look at the price point...You get the Wii and Wii Sports (which is actually the only game some Wii owners have) in the same package.

On the 360 side, you gotta buy the 360, and Natal, and a game.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Infernal_Me said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
SteelStallion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
SteelStallion said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hardcore gamers won't take it seriously. The Xbox 360 long targeted a mainly hardcore player base, what you're saying is exactly what Microsoft is hoping to get out of Natal: a slice of the casual market.

Take us, for example. I love fragging people online in Halo; I can't imagine doing that in Natal so unless I see some hardcore development in terms of fragging people online on Natal I'm not going to be buying it. Take everyone else, and you've got the reason the Wii is making shitloads.

Edit: People here seem to be underestimating the casual market. Look at the Wii sales, guys. If Natal is anything decent it'll make shitloads.
Still, why would the casual invest in a 360?

Look at the price point...You get the Wii and Wii Sports (which is actually the only game some Wii owners have) in the same package.

On the 360 side, you gotta buy the 360, and Natal, and a game.
You really think microsoft is dumb dont you. When Natal comes out in November 360 will have its holiday bundle which has 2 games in it. There goes the whole you have to buy a game also. Hell the Natal maye even have a game or games included.
*owns a 360 and uses Windows*

Look, Microsoft will recoup their losses. But this game won't. THQ is throwing money down the drain.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
"The concept I have uses every corner of that tech and maybe in a couple of years we'll do it."

Only problem: In a couple of years the Xbox 720 will have to come out to compete with Sony's PS4.
I wonder if Natal will be compatible with it.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
SteelStallion said:
I'm a hardcore gamer, and I take Natal seriously. I think that if they make games that use it cleverly it can turn out to be great. Just the facial recognition capabilities it has sounds great to me. But I love my Wii as well, so what do I know, right? ;)

I hope THQ ends up making at least one of their games, 'cause I am sure the ideas they have are awesome.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's a waste. Natal will MAYBE sell enough to make back its own development cost.

But this game...won't make 40 mil.
You underestimate the amount of casual gamers that would buy a 360 just to use Natal. There's a good reason the Wii is populat you know: people like flashy things.

dochmbi said:
"The concept I have uses every corner of that tech and maybe in a couple of years we'll do it."

Only problem: In a couple of years the Xbox 720 will have to come out to compete with Sony's PS4.
I wonder if Natal will be compatible with it.
I'm fairly certain both Sony and Microsoft announced that the 360 and the PS3 had a good few years left. I'll try and hunt down the article.